The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2009, 05:23 PM   #26
Keltyke

Quote:
Aren't most pet dogs vaccinated for rabies today - or they are supposed to be?
You're absolutely right, dogs from the pound, a vet, a pet store, or other commercial venture usually include the vaccination in the adoption fee...however...

The dog you get from a friend's litter may not ever see a vet. Someone may get a dog from PetSmart, get it vaccinated once, then never again. Dogs from an unwanted litter that are dumped, IF they survive (and a lot do), never see a vaccination.

Wild animals are ALWAYS a rabies threat.

Better to be safe than sorry. The penalty for guessing wrong is severe.
Old January 13, 2009, 08:59 PM   #27
Chui

A coyote attacked a Golden Retriever here in SOUTHEASTERN Michigan last year. It was being walked on a leash with it's owner... Don't ASSUME they won't snatch your dog. Also do NOT drop your leash. Your dog is not likely to catch it and once out of YOUR sight there will be others and they WILL kill your dog and eat it.

In areas where WILDlife frequents then REAL breeds of dogs are required: Airedales, Pit Bulls, Bull Terriers, Am Staffs, Ridgebacks and other highly combative, high drive breeds. They'd kill a coyote. But I still wouldn't release one to "run one down". If you have two such dogs with heavy collars then have at it I guess but it's always best to avoid the conflict. A well placed round into the 'yote will send his wily rear end to Allah, Aton, whatever name you call your Creator.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:32 PM   #28
scorpion_tyr

Personally speaking, I refuse to sacrifice my dog. In fact I know for a fact that one of my dogs, who happens to be a very mean looking member of a species of dog that supposedly "snap" on people, would hide behind me. He's done it before. If the animal gets close enough it's gonna get a bullet in the ear. Yes, I'll probably need a few stitches, but the bad dog will need a trash bag and a shovel.
Old January 13, 2009, 09:33 PM   #29
onthejon55

Quote:
Might be good idea to have OC spray and or an air horn as an alternative/first response for just such an occasion.
haha where are you from? I would shoot any stray that even thought about getting too close to me or my dog. as long as you are sure to discharge the bullet so it hits the ground and doesnt end up in someones window i see no reason not to. My grandpa always says "A loafing dog ain't worth a shot, but i'll waste one anyways"
Old January 13, 2009, 10:23 PM   #30
triggerhappy2006

I own a rott/hound mix, 100lbs mostly muscle, very good at instigating with a look alone. For what ever reason a neighbors, 135lbs staffordshire terrier decided to break through the invisible fence(yes they can do it with enough determination despite what some companies advertise) well the owner immdieatly came after his dog but unfortunatly the dog was faster and had a head start so the dog got to mine first. I do not walk my dog on a leash for this reason alone, my dog stood by my side as the terrier approached I stepped in front of my dog grabbed the back of the terriers neck, kicked out the legs(a decently effective trick that I use on my own dog all the time when we play fight which causes no injuries). The terrier immediatly changed its attidude and retreated, the owner was in shock but apoligized for his dog. I continued on our walk with out concern. Animals feed off your energy and actions. As for yotes, most will not challenge a human presence unless they are in numbers in which case a .22 will quickly change their minds.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:08 AM   #31
Keltyke

Quote:
They'd kill a coyote.
And maybe get rabies doing it. You don't get the point. You don't want your dog to win a fight with a wild animal, you want the fight to never occur.

Coyotes won't approach a human unless starving, protecting babies, or rabid. All three can easily occur with our encroachment on their land and severe winters making food scarce.

Taking the chance of your dog having contact with a wild animal just isn't worth it. Shoot at a safe distance, these buggers can run FAST.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:16 AM   #32
B.N.Real

I'll second what Keltyke said.

Coyotes as well as other wild animals will most of the time not come near you or your dogs unless they are hungry or sick.

In either case,a well placed bullet can prevent them from infecting you or your dogs.

And if you miss and the coyote is still standing there(not running away),then you know something is up with that animal.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:12 AM   #33
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Shoot at a safe distance, these buggers can run FAST.

+10

Save your compassion for people and friendly pets. Aggressive animal = dead animal.

Qualifier: I mean aggressive. Pets have a unique body language that you can learn if you pay attention. A pet dog running toward you barking may mean no harm, you can learn when and if they mean it and when they don't. An obviously wild animal isn't getting a second thought.
Old January 14, 2009, 12:25 PM   #34
Keltyke

This situation is where a gun like The Judge might really shine. Hitting a fast-moving animal coming head on is chancy at best. Load the first couple of cylinders with maybe a #4 shot. That will cause pain and confusion and slow down or stop the charge so you can get a good shot off with the remaining three cylinders loaded with .45 LC JHPs.
Old January 14, 2009, 03:10 PM   #35
clanger

Quote:
Suburbia. I live in Glendale, AZ... near the Arrowhead area if you're familiar with it at all. Pretty nice neighborhood. We've got these silly ponds all over the place with reclamated water that ducks and geese absolutely love. Houses swarming the water like it was beachfront property. Nicer cookie-cutter neighborhood
I'm totally familiar with that area.
I cannot speak for Az laws.....

But if that sub-div was where I live, in L.A.? You will have to do some pretty fast talking if you carry a loaded f/a in public (w/o a CCW), much less disharge it in the city limits. You could show 'just cause' in killing the animal if yours got mauled. But again, in L.A.-L.A. land, you'll have some 'splaining to do and say bye-bye to your heater.

Had this happen once in the Santa Monica Mtns. (Yote's are brilliant. They sucker off-leash pets into a chase with a 'probe' then bushwack 'em and gang-rip 'em to shreds) Just bust the POS in the chops with a boot like the ratty flea-bag varmint it is and get on with life. Enjoy the yipe-yipe-yipe! as it hauls arse the other way. Golf clubs work great. So do large folder's.

Plus it beats a ricochet into yer neighbor's SL500 or living room.
Old January 14, 2009, 05:10 PM   #36
BuckHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltyke
You don't want your dog to win a fight with a wild animal, you want the fight to never occur.
That would depend on the circumstances of the "fight" and the reason you got the dog. I live in the country on a farm, coyotes are a problem and need to be repelled, which I cannot do 24/7. Also, I know from experience that many breeds of domesticated dog will repel coyotes, which tend to be pretty cowardly, just fine. But, from the OP, sounds like a neighborhood, so take that comment for what its worth. I wouldn't want a neighborhood dog to get in a fight with a pack of coyotes, so when it comes to the OP's scenario, I would agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredhawk44
Shooting the animal stops the threat. But, it leaves a lot of ambiguity about the appropriateness of the shoot. Requires police response, disposal of animal, at least a cursory interview or investigation into the righteousness of the shooting event.
Not in my neck of the woods . Unless we're talking about someone's dog (like with a collar). I'm so glad I live in an area where almost everyone associates gunshots with a good time. No one calls the police when firearms are discharged. Then again, I don't hang around in neighborhoods with guns, just around the farm and in the woods.

Last edited by BuckHammer; January 14, 2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 14, 2009, 06:06 PM   #37
Milspec

We've got several coyotes hanging around our property and so far they've kept a respectfull distance when we're out with the dogs. I suppose if one were to get too close I'd hit it in the eyes with the laser. If it didn't get the hint I'd follow up with a Silvertip...

Milspec

Colonel Bill Jordan
Old January 14, 2009, 06:22 PM   #38
dipper

Quote:
Even if your dog has been vaccinated for rabies, that DOES NOT PROTECT YOU at the time of the attack.
Any saliva, blood or bodily fluid your dog has in it's mouth or on it's coat, could infect you if you touch it....and if there is even a chance you did, you're going to get the shots!!

I will shoot any dog or animal that is threatening me or my dog when out on a walk...provided it is a safe shot with no chance of harming anyone.....and I will make no excuses or apology for doing so.
Old January 14, 2009, 09:55 PM   #39
csmsss

A coyote will naturally be wary of humans (or any other animal it can't easily take down on its own). Any time a coyote approaches you or allows you to approach it, alarm bells should be ringing in your head - that is an animal that is behaving abnormally. Same thing with raccoons, opossums, groundhogs. Any animal behaving aggressively toward you or your leashed pets should be considered an immediate threat.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:17 PM   #40
orionengnr

Quote:
Yep...and therin lies the rub.

Aren't people driving down the road supposed to be licensed? Aren't they supposed to be sober? Aren't they supposed to be insured? Aren't they supposed to be in the country legally? Aren't they supposed to stop after causing an accident?

The answer to all of the above is actually YES.
However, with increasing regularity, the end result is NO.

Bottom line is:
Assume nothing, because we all know where assumptions get us.

One more thought:
It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:29 PM   #41
ActivShootr

I would rather take my chances with "discharging a firearm within city limits" than "getting mauled by an animal".
Old January 14, 2009, 10:51 PM   #42
Socrates

I got a couple black belts eons ago. I've got a metal extending sap, and, I'm thinking about getting not only pepper spray, but bear spray. Bear spray gives you a long distance, relatively, effective sort of shotgun chance of hitting your problem. If he gets through that, a 20" steel heavy si would certainly give him an attitude adjustment. In Kali, a gun would be the LAST thing I'd have out...
Old January 14, 2009, 10:56 PM   #43
csmsss

Quote:
I got a couple black belts eons ago. I've got a metal extending sap, and, I'm thinking about getting not only pepper spray, but bear spray. Bear spray gives you a long distance, relatively, effective sort of shotgun chance of hitting your problem. If he gets through that, a 20" steel heavy si would certainly give him an attitude adjustment. In Kali, a gun would be the LAST thing I'd have out...
Different states, different laws. In Texas, one can obtain a permit to carry a concealed firearm, but one cannot legally carry a baton, sap, club or other similar device under any circumstance.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:58 PM   #44
dipper

Whats a "sap"??
I know what an "asp" is but not a sap.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:05 PM   #45
csmsss

Quote:
Whats a "sap"??
I know what an "asp" is but not a sap.
A sap is an antiquated term, but is generally used to refer to portable slapping devices. Typically, a sap is made from stitched leather, and is flexible, with a handle on one end and a lead shot filled cavity at the other. You can cause quite a bit of damage to another human being if you hit him with the full force of a swung sap.

See also: blackjack, slapper.

Slapper:

Blackjack:

Last edited by csmsss; January 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:23 PM   #46
dipper

Ah, I see!
Thanks csmss.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:33 PM   #47
csmsss

You're very welcome!

My old man still has my great grandfather's blackjack. it doesn't look quite like the one in the picture above (the shot pocket is at an angle to the shaft of the handle), but it would probably still knock someone silly if they were unfortunate enough to get smacked behind the ear with it!
Old January 15, 2009, 12:21 AM   #48
ljnowell

Easy, if you are close to your house, give it the SSS. Shoot, shovel, shutup.
Old January 15, 2009, 05:23 AM   #49
Hook686

I wonder if folks know just how fast an aggressive dog can act. If the dog has already decided to attack you, or your pet, I doubt you will have much time to think about it, or react.

Take a look at this police video.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2nr08ck.gif

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old January 15, 2009, 11:41 AM   #50
ZeSpectre

Quote:
I wonder if folks know just how fast an aggressive dog can act. If the dog has already decided to attack you, or your pet, I doubt you will have much time to think about it, or react.
Yeah I have to agree. I posted my "dog test" (post #16) but I guess I can't blame folks for not understanding because I wouldn't have believed the results myself until I tried to move faster than my dog.