The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 27, 2001, 01:22 PM   #1
Ricochet

FFL Question

Does anyone know what type FFL is required to just smith guns, no selling or trading. Is there a web site that one could go to that would help? Thanks
Old December 27, 2001, 04:39 PM   #2
Joe Portale

If I'm not mistaken there is a specific FFL for those in the gunsmithing trade. Go to the ATF's websight and look it over.

The link is http://www.atf.treas.gov/

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old December 27, 2001, 05:04 PM   #3
kurt IA.

that use to be true Joe, but now its the same one as a dealer would get.
Old December 27, 2001, 06:22 PM   #4
Joe Portale

Yep, your right Kurt. I looked at the sight after I posted and a gunsmith needs a Type 01 (dealer) or a Type 02 Pawnbroker FFL.

"Even now in heaven there are angles carrying savage weapons".
- St Paul
Old December 27, 2001, 08:24 PM   #5
John E White

I had a problem with the BATF this year when renewing my license because I hadn't sold many guns in the last three years. They weren't aware of the fact that I used my license to buy parts and pieces wholesale along with some surplus rifles, to get the actions. You want to let them know that you are gunsmithing and not in the business of primarily selling firearms or you may run up against the same problem that I had. They refused to re-issue my license untill I notified my Congressman and both Senators. Miraculouly, they issed it within a few weeks after that, along with a thorough inspection of my books, going back 25 years. There's still a lot of schrapnel floating around in the BATF, left over from the Klinton administration. Try not to ---- them off.
Old December 28, 2001, 06:48 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

FWIW

The BATF has not been accepting mail (since Oct 25) until it's de-contaminated, so be prepared for delay.............

They've always treated me great! Am I lucky?
Old December 28, 2001, 08:51 AM   #7
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

If you are then I must be too. I have yet to meet any with the "out to get you" attitude that I hear about so often. The folks that I've spoken with here in Kentucky have always been willing to bend over backward to help. George
Old December 31, 2001, 03:00 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

From what I hear, there is still some of the "cowboy" attitude in BATF and loonies wanting to run around in black ski masks and shoot people, but it has been largely contained and some "JBT" agents have been quietly removed. I think a lot of the credit is due to Magaw, who took over after Waco. His "We need to keep an eye on religions" quote got a lot of negative publicity (as it should have), but he was a competent administrator.

During the recent seizure of MKS rifles and receivers, there has naturally been a lot of resentment on the part of owners, but by all reports BATF agents have been calm and professional, with none of the threats and "we'll get you" attitude that was seen in the past.

We can only hope that the change is permanent. We may not like the laws they enforce, but we can at least respect them if they respect the rights of citizens.

Jim
Old December 31, 2001, 03:47 PM   #9
C.R.Sam

Fingers crossed hopin they are changin for the better.

Sam