The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old December 5, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1
LongbowTap

Fairly Inexpensive .308 Utility Gun?

Before posting this I looked through the threads and couldn't find a related posting. I am looking at the Howa/Axiom combo deal in 308 with the heavy 24" barrel. Howa number: HWK97101+. Does any one have experience with either the heavy barrel Howa or the Nikko-Stirling scope.

It isn't an overly expensive gun, but I sure don't want to waste that much money since Uncle Sam's pension isn't something to brag about. It will be used for coyote plinking and maybe ferral hog shooting but not much of anything over 200 yards. I have both .243 and .223 but have always enjoyed the heavier .308 rounds.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Old December 6, 2008, 07:39 AM   #2
hibull5pa

howa.....

I didn't have the axiom but I have 4 rifles in 243, 2-270's( stainless and blued) and a 300 win. ALL are tack drivers. I don't see why the axiom model wouldn't be also. My 243 at 200 yards are .625 inch holes my 270's are about .75 to 1inch depending on what ammo I use and my 300 win is about an 1 inch give or take depending on me. All the rifles have nikko sterlings on them. I like the newer desighn better than the old. Hope this helps.....
Old December 6, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
LongbowTap

Yes sir, It does. Thank you for the input. Once I retired things like Zeiss and S&B became a bit out of my price range.

Tags
axiom , howa