The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 11, 2014, 07:30 PM   #101
JohnKSa
Staff

In my experience, Glock is unconcerned about the time elapsed from the time of purchase, or even if the pistol is owned by the original purchaser.

If requested, repair or upgrade parts (with the exception of slide, barrel & frame) will be shipped to an armorer, free of charge, upon request. In addition, except in cases of obvious abuse, pistols returned to Glock are generally serviced at no charge.
Old May 11, 2014, 08:36 PM   #102
Spats McGee
Staff

I certainly hope that's the case, JohnKSa. However, a timeline of 4-5 weeks to ship a small $3 spring, which I would wager Glock purchases by hundreds of thousands . . . Well, let's just say that I'm not exactly bowled over with Glock's enthusiasm for helping my fix my pistol quickly. [/understatement] Maybe I'm alone in this, but I just don't have half a dozen pistols that can swap out for CC duty. I really don't want to wait another month (or two, since they don't even have the order logged in yet) to fix one of my guns, least of all one of my cc guns.

I went ahead and ordered a couple of new springs from Glockparts.com today, and when Glock's order finally gets here (assuming that it does), I'll put them back as spare parts to have on hand, I guess.

While I was beginning to like my Glock, if I count "number of parts that have broken during routine activities in my living room," the score looks like this:
Glock: 1
Every other firearm I've ever owned, combined: 0
Old May 15, 2014, 08:38 AM   #103
Spats McGee
Staff

Rather than waiting another month to get a new slide lock spring, I ordered one from Glockparts.com* on Sunday. Actually, I ordered 2, so that I'd have a backup in case I monkeyed up the first one trying to get it in. When Glock finally gets around to sending me the new parts, I'm just going to set them aside as backups. Installation was a snap. It took all of about a minute, and involved neither special tools nor swearing. (If you'd ever seen me try to fix anything mechanical, you'd understand how extraordinary that last part is.)

Now I just have to get some more ammo, and get to the range . . . .

So, now we're at:
Rounds since last cleaning = 0
Rounds since last failure = 0
Total rounds = ~400

*=As an aside, the transaction with Glockparts.com was really smooth and quick. Ordered Sunday, got an immediate (probably auto-generated) invoice, and my parts were in my hand by Wednesday afternoon, with very reasonable shipping charges.
Old May 18, 2014, 11:07 AM   #104
WalnutBill22

Glocks

I used to carry a Glock 22 in my former life as a TN Wildlife Officer. It's a great gun, very reliable and very accurate, but it ain't pretty and I never cared for the grip, and I would have to agree that it's certainly not an ideal concealed carry gun. I now have a S&W (Walther) P99 compact in .40 S&W that I really like. It does everything the Glock does (except hold a lot of ammo), and is considerably smaller and more comfortable and concealable. These never were too popular for some reason, but I really like mine.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:02 AM   #105
SIMP

Spats, any update after a range session? Just curious as to how it turned out. Hoping for the best.
Old May 20, 2014, 01:30 PM   #106
Spats McGee
Staff

SIMP, thanks for asking, but no update as of yet. A few weeks ago, some bozo stole my range box out of my car, and all of my 9mm range ammo (along with a bunch of other stuff) went with it. I haven't even gotten around to replacing the range ammo, much less getting to the range.
Old June 8, 2014, 10:06 AM   #107
Spats McGee
Staff

Range Day!

Mrs. McGee and I went to the range yesterday (Saturday) and I put Gretchen (as I've named the G19) through her paces. The range doesn't allow rapid fire, so I had to do all of my shooting under its "1 round/second" rule, but that's OK. This was a function test, not training. I took 200 rounds of 115-grain TulAmmo BrassMaxx (aka The Cheapest 9mm Wal-Mart carries). I shot all 200, slow fire, at 15 yards, without so much as a hiccup. She fed everything flawlessly, and ejection was consistently 3-5 feet back and to the right. Because I was standing on a concrete pad, cases bounced, so the distance is just a guesstimate. Accuracy was as expected. IOW, I still think she's capable of better mechanical accuracy than I am.

I know that some folks will complain that 200 rounds is insufficient to requalify her for the carry rotation, but it's likely to be another couple of months before I get another range day. I hereby declare her fit for duty.

Update:
Rounds since last cleaning = 200
Rounds since last failure = 200
Total rounds = ~600
Total BTF Events = 0
Old June 8, 2014, 10:15 AM   #108
dgludwig

200 trouble-free rounds through a Glock would be good enough for me. I think you're plenty good to go.
Old June 8, 2014, 09:17 PM   #109
SIMP

Glad to hear your positive review!
Old July 31, 2014, 03:04 PM   #110
Spats McGee
Staff

Range Day!

I love range day! I went out to a new range today, one located at Arkansas Armory in Sherwood, Arkansas. Nice place. Pricier than other ranges at $15, but that's for the whole day.

Haven't cleaned Gretchen since the last range trip, but I put about 225 rounds through her today, without a single bobble.

Update:
Rounds since last cleaning = 425
Rounds since last failure = 425
Total rounds = ~825
Total BTF Events = 0
Old July 31, 2014, 03:51 PM   #111
Hitthespot

I have kept up with this thread and It's good your still enjoying your GLock. I just could not warm up to the model 27 I bought earlier this year and traded it a week or so ago. I tried to like it, I really did, but it just didn't speak to me. I prefer my Kahr or either my SR9c or SR40c by a wide margin.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:26 PM   #112
rcp1936

Well it seems to me if it is a carry gun you should be shooting the SD ammo to insure reliability not just FMJ
I want my carry 9mm to shoot at least 50 rds of my HP of choice after several 100 rds of FMJ break in ammo
Old August 1, 2014, 06:55 AM   #113
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitthespot
I have kept up with this thread and It's good your still enjoying your GLock. I just could not warm up to the model 27 I bought earlier this year and traded it a week or so ago. I tried to like it, I really did, but it just didn't speak to me. I prefer my Kahr or either my SR9c or SR40c by a wide margin.
I'm sure that an SR9 or SR9c would have met my needs, and if I find myself with enough spare $, one my yet find its way into my stable.

But yeah, I have grown to like my Glock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp1936
Well it seems to me if it is a carry gun you should be shooting the SD ammo to insure reliability not just FMJ
I want my carry 9mm to shoot at least 50 rds of my HP of choice after several 100 rds of FMJ break in ammo
I agree and have periodically run JHP to be sure it runs properly. I've done so since I bought her. I didn't have 50 rounds of it with me yesterday, but I ran what I had on hand (1 magazine = 15 rounds) through her. With the exception of that slide lock spring issue, she's been great. I've never had any other problems.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:43 PM   #114
jr24

Glad to hear you got that 19 worked out and it seems to be running great. I recently(ish) got a Glock 23 at a raffle and its a fine, fine pistol. Had a few BTF on the first range session and none since.

Gonna grab a 9mm barrel for it after I finish moving and find a range in my new location, should be great as well.
Old August 5, 2014, 03:55 PM   #115
joe-lumber

Glock 19

I have put a 3.5# trigger bar and night sights on my 19 and my shooting at targets have improved greatly. Last night I tried my brother's 19 with stock sights and trigger bar and I could not shoot it as well as mine with the changes. Also I think the Gen 3 is better than the Gen 4.
Old August 5, 2014, 04:37 PM   #116
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-lumber
I have put a 3.5# trigger bar and night sights on my 19 and my shooting at targets have improved greatly....
I haven't found anything wrong with the stock Glock trigger that some training and practice wouldn't fix. But I did change the sights on my two.

I put a 10-8 Performance rear sight mated with a 10-8, brass bead front on one, and an XS Sight Systems "Big Dot" on the other.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 5, 2014, 04:40 PM   #117
Spats McGee
Staff

I've got the Glock night sights on mine, but I haven't fiddled with any of the internals. Sure, there are better triggers out there, but I don't find mine to be bad at all. Maybe I'm just not that picky about triggers?
Old August 5, 2014, 05:57 PM   #118
wpsdlrg

DON'T feel bad (or like the odd man out) as regards the trigger. Just as with anything else, there is NO free lunch. Mods to the Glock trigger will certainly change the feel of it...and not always for the better. There are ALWAYS compromises. Since I have been Glocking (only a few months), I have tried an assortment of trigger changes on one of my two G26's. These were not parts I purchased, but parts borrowed from friends. (they raved about the "improvements" that I would see). So, I tried various combinations, mostly out of curiosity.

With each combination, something changed for the worse, such as compromised reset, mushy release, "rolling" release, etc....eventhough one aspect might have been improved. Thus, there was a compromise that had to be made, for each part switch.

Bottom line - I prefer the standard trigger on my gen. 4/ 26's - period.

The point being, not all of us buy that screwing around with the standard trigger will actually improve anything. So, you are not alone. If you don't see the need for changing it - then there probably isn't any. As it is, the world is awash with aftermarket Glock parts, most of which accomplish little or nothing but line the pockets of those selling them.

To each his own, but I am not about to waste my money fixing something that isn't broken in the first place.

Last edited by wpsdlrg; August 5, 2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old August 13, 2014, 07:38 PM   #119
chrisintexas

Spats McGee

are glock factory night sights metal or plastic? thanks
Old August 13, 2014, 08:16 PM   #120
Tactical Jackalope

Chris... they're metal.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:25 PM   #121
Spats McGee
Staff

Constantine is correct. They're metal.
Old August 24, 2014, 11:59 AM   #122
Tactical Jackalope

So....carrying my Glock 19 AGAIN..
Old August 24, 2014, 04:08 PM   #123
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, the G19 has a funny way of sneaking back into your holster, doesn't it?
Old August 24, 2014, 07:41 PM   #124
Tactical Jackalope

Yes it does! And it did.. In other news though. I traded an M&P 9 that I had for an FDE Glock 17 :x so that's going to be fun. Since my lady now has my normal Glock 17 with night sights and a TLR-1s.... Funny how some guns sneak their way into the significant others hands.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:43 AM   #125
Spats McGee
Staff

Just to be sure this update is complete: I still haven't received any parts from Glock. I'll try to get around to calling them today.

Tags
g19 , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 gen 4 , review