The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 10, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Matt Hooper

Am I Crazy? - Vest at the Range?

I know it sounds nuts, but with so many new shooters out there, does anyone wear a vest to the range? Thinking it can't hurt!

Thanks!
Old March 10, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
AK103K

While I normally dont where I shoot now, there have been a few ranges where I have, especially after seeing all the bullet holes/impacts in the counters, dividers, ceilings, and walls.

I know one thing for sure, if I worked in a gun shop, I would wear one on a daily basis. Ive seen enough scary stuff just while there on my own, to sometimes think it wouldnt be a bad idea just going there.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
jad0110

Yeah, that is why I've not been to a range in years. And when I did go I'd always get there as early as possible. I noted most people that show up early are safer than those that come in in the afternoon.

OTH, while gun ownership is increasing, injuries and deaths from NDs is going down. As a whole, I think people are more mindful of the 4 rules than in the past, but we still have a ways to go when I trust my 6 year old with a gun more than the typical gun shop employee.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4
billvau

I was at the range this week with my wife. I was letting her familiarize herself with her pistol before her CCW class this weekend. These two young females come into the both next to us, at an indoor range. They are giggling and acting silly. One shoots one round and then turns half-way to her friend with her finger still in the trigger guard!

I carefully came up to them and told her to get her finger out of the trigger guard unless she was on target. I got a deer-in-the -headlight look.....
So we promptly got the hell out of there. I told the staff about these two but I don't think anything was done. I have got to find a private range around here
Old March 10, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
PT-92

My answer, NO you are actually well-advised.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Rifleman1952

Your concerns are well founded. I don't where a vest, but I shoot at times when there are very few other shooters at the range. I just don't feel comfortable, with 30-40 others shooting at the same time with me.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Southern Rebel

If I have to wear a vest to feel reasonably safe, I am just not gonna go there. (Disclaimer - If that is the ONLY place I can practice, I guess I would just put the vest on and "hunker down"!)

I suppose the choice fits in with the same logic as that of when and where to carry a gun - every choice has different odds and each gambler has to determine what odds he is willing to play and what odds force him to drop out of the game.

This same feeling hits me when I occasionally eat at a Subway that is really kind of isolated on the outer limits of a small town and would make an enticing target to be robbed. I obviously choose to be armed when I go there, but it has occurred to me that the odds of risk are somewhat high to just get a mediocre sandwich.
Closed Thread