The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 20, 2008, 01:24 PM   #1
Al57

2008 Meat Buck

11-16-08. 7:15 Am. Southern Adams County, Nebraska. Taken with a 45/70 Handi rifle and my handload of a Rem. 405 gr. JFN & 32 grs. IMR 4198 for 1350 FPS. Quartering away shot @ 25 yards from my homemade ground blind. Struck just behind the near shoulder. Clipped top of heart. 1 1/2 " holes inside cavity. Broke the offside shoulder going out and exited body. He ran about 45 yards, leaving an easy to read blood trail. Certainly no trophy, this broken tined forky yielded 65 pounds of boned meat ( including heart and liver ) for the freezer. Combined with the fat doe my wife took the day before, we have steaks and burger for a few months. Here's wishing good luck to you all this season in your hunts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Al's buck.jpg (122.2 KB, 196 views)
Old November 20, 2008, 02:00 PM   #2
New_Pollution1086

Nice deer.

may not win any beauty contests but sure will be tasty. do you have a spice mix for deer burgers or strait up?

Im not much of a hunter (yet) but im a damn good cook.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old November 20, 2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Congrats on the deer! You got a heck of a lot of meat out of him.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
FrontSight

Excellent!!!
Old November 20, 2008, 02:54 PM   #5
Sportdog

Good job! I can smell those venison steaks cooking now! Nothing better than taking a deer with your own handloads.
Old November 20, 2008, 02:56 PM   #6
simonkenton

Good shooting!
I am thinking of trying those .45/70 slugs in my Savage muzzleloader.
Looks like they do a good job.
Old November 20, 2008, 04:25 PM   #7
SWMAGMAN

Don't sound apologetic in your post! That deer IS a trophy, more so in consideration of the work you went to in making the handloads, building the blind, and culminating in a well-placed and humane kill. There is much more to the sport than the size of antlers, and your trophy indicates why that is so. Enjoy the venison!
Old November 20, 2008, 04:54 PM   #8
Al57

Thanks for all the kind words, all. He was my 24th deer overall, and 7th taken with this rifle . Among those, several were pretty nice racked deer & a couple were " wall hangers ". Though those are always welcomed, we've just never come up with a good tasting recipe for antler. The only trophy part about this deer is how well he'll taste. For 22 years, venison has greatly helped feed us and our kids .

New_Pollution, when she makes burgers from the ground deer, there is no spice that I'm aware of, outside of salt & pepper, though I believe she may add an egg. There is beef tallow added to the ground deer. When weather permits, me much prefer both burgers and steaks grilled outside. Infact, we just grilled the inside tenderloins from her doe last night ( Med. rare of course ). The hearts from both were lightly pickled and pressure cooked when still fresh. We enjoyed the liver ( w/ sauted onion & bacon ) from this buck the day following me harvesting him. The ground deer really makes some great chili, Spanish rice, Italian dishes, sloppy Joe, etc, etc.
Old November 21, 2008, 06:21 PM   #9
dragonfire

Oh man I just got done cooking venison steaks for dinner sure is tasty.I agree big antlers look cool but thats about it.
Old November 22, 2008, 06:29 AM   #10
J270

If it was not for the great bass fishing here in california, I would move to one of those cool states were I have herd you guys say that you can harvest 5 or more deer including does. thats would be so cool

We can only harvest two here were I live,and they have to both be fork (on one side or better, and thats july through sept. (hoter than a mutha)

I am on the verge of being out of buck meat two packs left (stupid little black tails )

congrats on that pile of meat

ps watch ya talkin about Al, those are some funky cool horns man!!.....
......(...I know.... but we call them horns here)

Last edited by J270; November 22, 2008 at 06:34 AM.