The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 2, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

CCW Tactics for a big man

All,

I've been reading posts in this forum for a few months and decided to hop in and participate as I can. I've been carrying concealed for a few months (legally) and am probably still paranoid about printing and weapon retention.

I'm 6'4" and about 300 pounds (probably a few more than that), big guy with a big frame. I do not wear tight clothes or excessively baggy clothes...

I have two weapons I carry, a sw40ve and a Bersa Thunder .380, I have other weapons but they're a bit big and heavy for my liking...and I shoot those two more than the others...

I found out really quickly that OWB carry in a Fobus or belt holster didnt go over too well unless I have on a jacket, I live in TX so the coat comes out of the closet for roughly three months out of the year. SO, I have a couple of Bianchi IWB holsters, one for each weapon I carry, the .380 is comfortable enough to carry strongside (behind the hip) or crossdraw(in front of the hip). The .40 is more comfortably worn on the side BUT it prints.

My solution was to get a cheapo gun belt from midway (nylon) and wear it either slightly above or below the beltline of my jeans...this way I can maneuver the weapon into any position depending on if I'm sitting, standing, walking fairly discreetly.

Any other big fellas try something like this or found a more comfortable way to carry concealed? By comfortable I mean you can tolerate the discomfort for 8-12 hours...
Old July 3, 2007, 06:14 AM   #2
RocketFoot

I'm 6'0" & 290 lbs...the only comfortable way for me to carry is with a nylon shoulder holster. I'm in PA so I wear jackets and sweatshirts a little more often than you probably would, but it is hard to carry in the summer. I also have an "in the pants" holster that I usually carry in the front, but it can be extremely uncomfortable! BTW, I carry a Ruger P89 9mm Stainless.
Old July 3, 2007, 07:06 AM   #3
jdm357

I'm 6'3" - 290 lbs. I usually pocket carry my Taurus 605 (2" .357) in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster, but since I bought my SA XD9 4", and a Don Hume leather IWB holster, I have been trying that out. It's not working out like I had planned, though.. may have to continue carrying the wheel-gun until the colder weather sets in, so I can have more options in where the XD9 is holstered on my waist band.

Pocket carry can be annoying at first (have to move all your stuff into ONE pocket), but I got used to it in a way. It doesn't work too well in my work jeans though; the pockets are too shallow. Works GREAT in my loose cargo shorts, though, and I don't mean baggy shorts either.

..but I guess the .380 would be your only option for pocket carry; as for your bigger calibered auto - LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU FIGURE IT OUT! I'm in the same boat.
Old July 3, 2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Sigma 40 Blaster

Actually the method I described has been working out pretty well for me...last night at 2AM had to run to the store.

Had on some basketball shorts and tank top along with the cheapo gunbelt a little higher than my pants line, my sw40ve inside of a Bianchi IWB holster was invisible. It is a little hard to adjust the thin (1 1/2 inch) nylon belt to sit "just right" but I can now carry one of my much heavier weapons since this belt is not going to make my pants fall down and my jeans belt will actually provide a little more support.

I can adjust it's position by just sliding it around the hip when sitting and can "swing it" around for strong side carry while still in my car and it's also easier to draw as I don't have to pull from under a layer of clothing. I have tried it with the weapon tucked into my clothes or on top...

I'll also say that I always have on a "wife beater" or T-Shirt under my clothes so I'm not wearing this extra gunbelt on bare skin.

I guess we all have our methods, anyone with 9.00 to spare should try this out, I got the idea from looking at a CCW holster that is a separate belt that is worn under your jeans...the holster is located directly front & center. I was not comfortable thinking about anything pointed directly down in that position so I compromised and just bought a belt and played with positioning going for maximum concealability, reliability (belt wouldn't slide/move), and comfort. I was able to wear this belt/holster combo under my pants line so it's a "tuckable" method, for me anyways.

I'm so glad no one said anything about a fanny pack...lol. Have thought about a shoulder holster but was warned against, probably will pick one up for the winter though.
Old July 3, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
jdm357

I might have to try that - the cheap gunbelt on my torso, using the IWB holster on it.. however, I'm normally just wearing a t-shirt, and it would definitely print on lighter shirts, but darker ones could probably hold up pretty well. I can see it being very useful in the case of a button down shirt.
Old July 3, 2007, 05:11 PM   #6
dairycreek

Currently I am 6'3" and weigh 276 pounds altough I have recently lost 90 pounds. I think this gives me big man credentials to some degree. Not long ago, on somewhat of a lark, I tried a Smartcarry http://www.smartcarry.com/ and have been more than just pleasantly surprised by its performance. It is comfortable, highly concealable, and maneuverable as well.

I carry a Ruger SP-101, two speed loaders, and a Vaquero Grande as you can see in the accompanying picture

Sorry, no on the body photo. My wife said if I posted one she would beat me to death with a stick.

I normally wear relaxed fit jeans and dress trousers with pleats and there is absolutely no printing. For this big man it has worked out exceedingly well. I suggest that you carry out a search or two and see what others are saying.

GOOD SHOOTING

Last edited by dairycreek; July 3, 2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old July 3, 2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Sigma 40 Blaster

Dairycreek...that's the holster I saw that gave me the idea of just buying a separate belt and wearing a little below or over my jeans line. I am just not comfortable with the idea of that thing so close....you know where I'm going with that. I've read some very good feedback about it BUT it's just not for me.
Old July 4, 2007, 09:15 AM   #8
DesertDawg

I'm 6'5", 230 pounds, so I'm not quite as "bulky" as a few of you guys. I've carried for 35+ years, and since the year 'round average temp is 70 degrees (So Cal), it's about 10 months of either tee shirts or windbreakers.

Several years ago, I injured my right hand. I changed over to a "lefty", but didn't buy any left-handed holsters. Instead, the IWB holster was moved to the left side, with what you might think would be an awkward draw (butt-end toward the front). With practise, the awkwardness of the draw vanished.

You might want to try the re-positioning to the left side. With the butt facing forward, it sort of enhances weapon retention. Also, after my right hand had healed, I continued to carry the "righty" IWB on my left side, but practised a "lefty" draw to a "righty" presentation.
Works good for point-shooting AND two-handed grip, but it does take some practise before you get used to it.

As far as "printing" goes, experiment with your body posturing/stance. Also, get used to using your elbow and forearm to "correct" any printing that might happen. Add to that, elbow/forearm contact enhances weapon retention.

The only "drawback", per se, is that I no longer carry anything in my LEFT hand, just the right. The left is for the draw. Actually, the injury to my right hand was sort of a "blessing", for it prompted me to practise and become ambidextrous. What if YOU injure your shooting hand?
Old July 5, 2007, 10:11 AM   #9
Webleymkv

I'm 6'4" and 265lbs. The only really comfortable way for me to carry a decent size gun is OWB. I have found that the Askins Style holster works the best for me. The trailing belt loop seems to pull the butt of the gun close to the body and help prevent printing. It is not a problem for me to carry my 2.5" S&W M66 under a loose fitting shirt using this type of holster. Several makers produce holsters of this type.

http://epsaddlery.com/pc-74-11-doubl...n-holster.aspx

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=24

http://www.donhume.com/products/Prod...m?ProductID=53
Old July 30, 2007, 11:47 PM   #10
tazmss

Sigma,
we are about the same size(actually, I am a bit larger @ 360 lbs.....but whos counting?) and I carry a Glock 30(.45 cal) strongside hip, using a Galco Royal Guard IWB....I tried several different rigs(OWB, Paddle, Shoulder, Ankle, etc.), but the Galco has worked well for me(this is the third one I have purchased, I have used it with a Glock 19/23, as well as a Colt Officers and it has performed flawlessly. really comfortable, no printing issues, and very well made. One drawback, though....they are a tad bit pricey, though....

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp...D=909&GunID=58
Old August 13, 2007, 10:54 AM   #11
beergoggles

I'm about your size 6' 4" 325 and I have found that a comp-tac shirt tucker holster works with my kel-tec pf-9 well. As long as I am wearing an untucked polo shirt that is long enough it can ride at 4:30 all day with little to no printing. (most people won't notice your gun unless the handle is showing) It is all about finding your sweet spot. Mine happens to be just behind and under the love handle. With the right shirt I can hide my 4" XD as well but it is to much to tote in the heat.

I'm in the Florida heat so the odds of me carrying OWB are limited to about 3 days a year even then it warms up midday and the jacket is out of place.

Pocket carry is good too. I will probably go for a small .380 with my next purchase.
Old August 13, 2007, 11:09 AM   #12
rantingredneck

I'm positively medium sized compared to some of you fellas (6'0"/235lbs), but I'll chime in with my favorite holster. I carry any of my 3 Ruger Pseries pistols in a Bianchi Minimalist OWB just forward of my right hipbone. I have a bit of a paunch these days but I'm not real big in the belly (yet). It's comfortable for me, but I can see it getting uncomfortable if I don't start backing away from the table a bit earlier.

As an aside, one of the recent issues of American Handgunner? had an article on this very subject. I think 3-4:00 IWB was what the author (Mike Venturino?) came up with as most comfortable.