The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Double-Tap Brand 9mm+P 147gr FMJ Flat Point...Woods Defense???

Would this particular 9mm round be any good for woods protection/defense?

What animals would something like this be effective against? I live in the Southeast but spend a lot of time in the mountains of Utah and Colorado.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=268

DOUBLE TAP AMMUNITION
9mm+P 147gr FMJ Flat Point 50rds. $42.44

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm. The flat point helps to cut rather than move around hard objects such as bone. The tough brass jacket on the bullet helps it to keep its shape. A great backup for hunting, camping, and hiking!

Caliber : 9mm+P

Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point

Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a Glock 17

Double Tap 9mm +P 147 gr FMJ Flat Point.jpg

Thanks.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; November 25, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old November 25, 2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For a 9mm, it likely would do okay on hogs or gators at home. Okay for cougars in the mountains, and maybe for black bear.

Basically, it depends on your own skill and your awareness of your surroundings. There's a lot of difference between killing as hunting, and stopping something that's running at you in attack mode.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:26 AM   #3
rickyrick

Hogs and similar animals, yes.

Medium Raccoon sized animals, not so great.
Old November 26, 2011, 10:30 AM   #4
rickyrick

If you haven't used 147 +p its a little different than regular ole 115gr you might go shoot it and see where it prints

And make shure the flat nose cycles ok.
Old November 26, 2011, 03:50 PM   #5
2damnold4this

The flat point looks pretty small. I think I'd rather have some sort of quality hollow point.
Old November 27, 2011, 05:55 PM   #6
bbq223

Would lean to the H-Ps.
Old November 27, 2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Southern Shooter

Penetration???

Would not penetration with the "somewhat" flat nose be more the desired option than a hollowpoint from a handgun?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley
Old November 27, 2011, 06:05 PM   #8
rickyrick

Depends on the animal, I hear that u want more penetration with bears....but I don't know first hand.
Old November 27, 2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Southern Shooter

First hand bear experience??

ha ha...nor, have I. Nor, do I want to.
Old November 27, 2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Sarge

If you're looking to poke a hole, that should do it. If all I had was a nine for the areas originally mentioned, then yes I would carry it. A bigger, heavier, cast SWC would make me feel better though.
Old November 27, 2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Shotgun693

If I was worried about people or pigs or snakes I'd consider a 9 mm just fine but I'd not stake my life on stopping an attacking bear with a 9mm with any bullet.
Old November 28, 2011, 07:44 AM   #12
Southern Shooter

I fully understand that a 9mm is NOT the best tool for woods protection while out hiking and camping.

I have a Glock 17 with me on a regular basis. And, I just thought it would be nice to press it into duty as a last-resort woods protection gun on spur of the moment hikes or camping trips. I wondered, perhaps, if capacity and penetration may prove useful. And, it would be easy to keep a spare box of "specialty" ammo in the dash versus an extra gun, for such occasions.

On preplanned trips into questionable areas my choice of carry is my Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan with 360 grain hardcast bullets.

Anyway, still looking for more thoughts on this 9mm ammo for the purpose it states in the advertisement.

Thanks

Last edited by Southern Shooter; November 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old November 28, 2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Southern Shooter

ART---awareness of surroundings...I totally agree

Art, you made a profound statement that would make the difference in being safe not only in the woods but in our daily activities. "Basically, it depends on your own skill and your awareness of your surroundings."

No matter what we carry in the woods, mountains, or daily errands of life, a weapon of defense is of very little use if we are unaware of what is going on around us. And, if we feel uneasy about a situation just avoid it. Why tempt fate???

Just a thought.