The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 13, 2012, 11:58 AM   #51
Tom Matiska

IDB0412[QUOTE] The 30/30 is the most accurate and effective that you listed but you might have it leaning against a tree 30 yards away instead of on your hip when you need it. [/QUOTE

Worth repeating.

Long guns have a way of not being within reach at just the wrong time. The old saying goes that when you need a parachute, you usually need it pretty bad. I'd want to be already wearing mine when I need it.
Old March 13, 2012, 03:13 PM   #52
Alaska444

Quote:
Today, 09:47 AM #50
cje1980

Wyosmith you seem hung up on penetration. I agreed with you that a HC 44 Magnum load would outpenetrate a 170 gr SP fired from a 30-30.

However, in your first post in this thread you said the 44 Magnum was ballistically superior. That is patently false. Don't try to change what you first said.

I even said that given the choices I would take the 44 Magnum revolver because its adequate for the task and you would be more likely to have on you at the time.

There is a difference between a HC handgun load that punches through an animal and makes a .43 caliber hole and a deep penetrating 30-30 loading that punches a .60 or better caliber hole in an animal. The classic 170 gr 30-30 load is a good penetrator. When you say that there is a difference in killing an animal and killing it fast, the wound channel is everything. Punching a .43 hole clear through an animal will certainly kill it but it might not happen right away. The 30-30 with expanding projectiles is simply going to provide a bigger would channel. Handgun projectiles don't provide much shock to the animal. They pretty much just punch holes in things. A rifle loading going well over 2000 fps is going to expand and cause more trauma than a HC handgun load.
Penetration is the issue of the day with brown bears that have large bone, heavy fur and lots of fat and muscle before you hit any vitals that will kill the animal. An expanding bullet that is small and lightweight is notorious for not making it throught the fur, fat, muscle and bone in these beasts. That is why I would choose a .44 magnum over the 30-30.