The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
sks

How many shells?

Well we are going to do some duck hunting in Tennessee soon and I was wondering how many shells I should take with me. Last time I went duck hunting was 31 years ago on a friend's farm. All we did was put some shells in our pocket and walked out to shoot some teal.

So for three days worth of duck hunting how many shells should I take with me; 100, 300?

Thanks,

sks
Old November 3, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2
spacecoast

An approximation would be...

max # of ducks / hit rate + reserve

So, for example if you hit a duck 50% of the time, and expect to take a max of a dozen ducks, and take a spare box of shells,

(12 / 0.5) + 25 = 49, so two boxes should be sufficient

If you only hit a duck 10% of the time, then you might need 6 boxes of 25 shells.
Old November 3, 2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Deerhunter

If space is not an issue and you can leave the extras some place (the truck) I would take 5 boxes. That way you have them. Funny thing about shells.....you can always bring home what you don't use and save them for another time, but getting more when your out is hard to do. 5 boxes gives you a box a day plus extras. Not sure what the limit is or how you shoot. I have good days and bad days.
Old November 3, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4
BigJimP

A box per day will be more than enough probably / but I like to have some extra - so I would buy and take a flat of 10 boxes .... / and as long as space is not an issue - have at least 2 boxes per day with me.

But these days the limits are low...

Based on what I could find on the internet ....( but you should obviously check the laws again when you arrive / talk to your buddy or your guide ) !
NEW 2010-2011 Season Dates in Tennessee

Thanks to a good fall flight forecast Tennessee will have a 60-day season and 6-duck bag limit. Dates are Nov 27-28; December 4-January 30.2011.

EARLY SEASON DUCKS: Wood Duck/Teal Early Season (Sept 11-15) 2010 Four (4) Ducks daily and not more than two wood ducks.

DUCKS: Nov 27-28; Dec 4-Jan 30th, 2011.
Six (6) daily.

Daily Bag Limit

Six (6) ducks (not more than four mallards). A daily bag limit of 6 ducks may include no more than: 4 mallards (no more than 2 of which may be a hen), 3 wood ducks, 3 gadwall, widgeon, shoveler, ringneck, goldeneye, bufflehead, 4 teal, 2 scaup, 2 pintail, 1 canvasback and redhead, and 1 black duck.
Old November 3, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
sks

Thanks to all for the input. Just got some good news today. My friend/guide will supply all of the 3.5 shells I need and told me not to buy any. I'll just bring an extra shoulder pad.

Spacecoast: Using your calculations if I have a 5% hit rate then I need to fill the truck up. As I said, it has been 30 years since I've been duck hunting so that might be more realistic.

Looking forward to a great time.
Old November 3, 2010, 06:22 PM   #6
roy reali

re:sks

Quote:
So for three days worth of duck hunting how many shells should I take with me; 100, 300?
About 10,000 shells. You never know when a big flock wii show up.
Old November 3, 2010, 06:49 PM   #7
clemsonbloz

If I were traveling somewhere to hunt, I'd take a case... Better to have em and not need em..
Old November 3, 2010, 08:32 PM   #8
the rifleer

I went dove hunting for the first time and severely underestimated how much ammo to take. I figure 10 dove per day, one box should be plenty. I couldn't have been more wrong. I think I shot a whole box and hit maybe 3 or 4.

I figured this because I'm pretty good on the skeet/trap range, but I think Im more jumpy in the field and thats why I miss. My recommendation is take one more box than you think you need.
Old November 26, 2010, 09:45 PM   #9
A/C Guy

Quote:
I figured this because I'm pretty good on the skeet/trap range, but I think Im more jumpy in the field and thats why I miss. My recommendation is take one more box than you think you need.
Maybe it is because the clays fly straight in predictable paths and the doves are like mini F-16's practicing dog fight maneuvers. At least that is MY excuse. 10 doves = 19 to 30 shells
Old November 27, 2010, 01:04 PM   #10
silvercorvette

Just an opinion from a person that hasn't hunted in a long time and has never hunted duck. It depends on how close you are to a store where you can buy more?

I would be ticked off at myself if I drove hundreds of miles and had to end early because I ran out of shells and it was too far to drive to pick up more. I would have no problem with bring enough shells for 10 trips, it's not like they will all spoil if they aren't all used. If you get bored because there aren't ducks you can always throw cans and plastic bottles willed with water in the air and shooting them, or maybe someone may bring a portable skeet thrower with them and you may burn through shells having fun.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:46 AM   #11
sks

Roy: I might need a loan for that.

My friend has several cases and we'll be close to stores so more ammo isn't a problem. I'll pick up a case just "in case". We are hunting a WMA that closes each day at 4:00 so we'll be out at least by that time. Even if I don't shoot all of the shells, they'll hold till the next time.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:09 PM   #12
BigJimP

How about a " Hunt Report" when you get back ??
Old December 2, 2010, 07:17 AM   #13
giaquir

I'm not not good enuff to be called
a poor wing shooter but it took
me zillions :-) of shells to bag 2
wood ducks so that I could have
a pair to mount. Missiles, me think
they are
Old December 3, 2010, 08:25 AM   #14
sks

BigJim, I'll be glad to post a report when the hunt is over. Might be pretty short though.
Old January 1, 2011, 02:32 PM   #15
sks

Duck Hunting report

Sorry it took so long to get this in, just got busy with the holidays and all.

We hunted for three days in Camden, TN and got a total of 46 ducks; the majority were mallards (mostly males), one wood duck and a couple of others. One big mallard drake will be mounted and put on my wall.

Our guide/host was fantastic in every way and made the experience enjoyable throughout. We had eggs, biscuits, sausage, pork roast and coffee for breakfast each day. Cooked hot and fresh in the blind.

I used the Benelli Super Nova 99% of the time but also broke out the Browning Citori just for the sake of shooting it. It probably didn't belong in the duck blind with all of those ugly black and camo guns.

Below are a few pics of the hunt and I hope to post more soon.

Some of my observations from duck hunting are:
  • Advantage Max 4 is a beautiful color.

• Cold and wet have a brand new meaning.

• I am convinced 3 ½ 12 gauge shells came from Hell I will work on becomming a better shot and use 2 ¾ shells next time.

• Watching a Labrador work and retrieve ducks is a beautiful sight and worth getting up early and braving the cold for.

• Duck calling is truly an art and I have a new found appreciation for those who are really good at it.

• I learned that some hunters go the entire season and never clean their gun; this I do not understand.

• My love for a hot cup of black coffee has grown; especially at 15 degrees.

• I have witnessed and been part of 6 grown men, shooting 12 gauge shotguns, missing one duck at 30 yards; a new understanding of the phrase “lucky duck”.

• Steel does not shoot as far as lead.

• Weather and wind mean EVERYTHING when duck hunting

• One day can make a world of difference in the amount of shooting opportunities

• Sitting in the blind, watching the sun come up over the field and waiting for the shooting to start is one of life's great moments of enjoyment.

Nothing like a good, hot cup of coffee!

This was my view for three days.

Some of the take home loot.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:39 PM   #16
dalecooper51

Awesome. Thanks for posting the pics.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:07 PM   #17
HiBC

I enjoyed your post,SKS,and got a smile on reading the things you observed.
One author who wrote well of such things was Robert Ruark.Try "Old Man and the Boy"
Have fun,and running out of shells is no fun.I'm not so good of a shotgun shot,but in my old age I look at something else. Some misses are clean misses.Those are free.Some hits bring home a bird.Those are well done.
What I choose to ration myself on are the shells that put a couple of pellets in a bird but don't bring him home.
Suppose I'm pheasant hunting and the limit is three.If I shoot 25 shells to take 2 birds,maybe I wound 5 and kill a total of 7.
Better to only take 12 shells and not shoot at every bird.OK,I do have more in the truck, but a little fire discipline to conserve on cripples is in keeping with a Ducks Unlimited/Pheasants Forever outlook.
Your grin says a lot!
Old January 1, 2011, 07:26 PM   #18
mwar410

Now you know why he was giving you all the 3.5" shells you needed
Old January 1, 2011, 07:29 PM   #19
Deja vu

Great pictures!

I usually bring a box then I have a back up box in the truck.

agreed nothing like a duck hunt early in the morning

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 1, 2011, 09:15 PM   #20
sks

mwar410, yep.

HiBC: In the three days of hunting I only shot two boxes of shells. Other guys were shooting 1-2 boxes each day. Every duck that flew by they just emptied the gun. (everyone had semi autos except me) There were times I simply didn't pull the trigger because there was no shot. Some of the guys were shocked when I didn't shoot but I don't have a habit of just shooting.

One thing that surprised me was I never thought about cycling the pump and it was just done. I've never hunted with a pump shotgun and was a bit thoughtful whether I could do it fast enough. No problem at all; never had to "think" about it. Even surprised myself at times and had to check the chamber. Sure enough there was a fresh round in there.

Looks like there will be another opportunity to go hunting in a few weeks here in Missouri. I will definitely purchase some appropriate "dry" clothing for the occasion.

Happy New Year!
Old January 2, 2011, 02:25 PM   #21
BigJimP

Happy New Year to you as well ...and thanks for the report / great to hear you had such a good experience.... Well done !!
Old January 2, 2011, 02:27 PM   #22
nefprotector

Myself and My AUBURN TIGERS are going duck hunting in Glendale AZ Jan. 10th 2011. WDE!!!!!