The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 14, 2011, 02:31 PM   #1
cajun47

glock 19 or glock 26

are there any major differences between the two? i have the 19 and was thinking about a spare one but maybe i should get a 26?

does the 26 make ccw much easier? big difference in accuracy between the two at 10 yards or so?
Old July 14, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2
ATW525

It depends. As far as concealment goes, the Glock 26 might be easier to conceal depending on your carry method, build and wardrobe, or it might not make any difference at all. The Glock 26 might open some more options for alternative carry positions, though, such as ankle or pocket carry.

As far as accuracy goes, I doubt there's much difference in mechanical accuracy, but there might be a difference in your ability to shoot it.
Old July 14, 2011, 02:49 PM   #3
peacefulgary

The difference in size between the G19 and the G26 is not huge, but it is noticable in the hand and on the belt.

But the best thing about the G26 is that the G26 can use G19 magazines, but the G19 can't use G26 magazines.

G26.....the Best Glock ever.
Old July 14, 2011, 02:51 PM   #4
CastleBravo

Getting a spare Glock 19 is a bit like getting a spare Honda Accord. Yeah, you might could need it in theory, but it's pretty unlikely - and it's an awful boring way to spend your money.

The Glock 26 is definitely easier to conceal - the butt of the gun is the hardest part to hide - but I find the subcompact Glocks to be kind of awkward myself.
Old July 14, 2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Glockfan36

If I were you

I would definitely pick one up. Much easier to conceal. I don't know how you plan to carry it, but with my "less than average" build the G26 just ssems to dissappear under shorts and a t=shirt, carried AIWB. YOMMV
Old July 14, 2011, 03:04 PM   #6
40caljustice

I have the g23 and g27. I feel there are no real advantages with the smaller firearm. Both have their uses. IMO the g26/g27 is a back up gun. The g19/23 is a better rounded full-time CCW firearm.

Conceal-ability makes a huge difference when choosing. Can yo comfortably conceal the slightly bigger 19/23? Does your clothes allow it? If not carry the 26/27. Its always good to have an option.

Either one can be used equally. And both are fine firearms.
Old July 14, 2011, 03:22 PM   #7
GoOfY-FoOt

In my experience, there is very litle difference between the compact and the sub-compact (SC) Glocks.
Another thing to consider, that I don't believe was mentioned yet, is the type of ammo that you use for carry. A 147 gr. +P or +P+ 9mm round is going to be more difficult to control in a G26. I carried both a G32 and a G33 and the .357sig round is much like the hot 9's. There is really no difference in accuracy at those distances short of your own abilities due to the decreased sight radius of the SC.

The half inch difference in barrel length is not an issue for concealment in a Glock compared to the width, which is the biggest issue.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:03 PM   #8
chris in va

I've heard from many people at the range that they shoot the G26 more accurately than the 19 for some reason.
Old July 14, 2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

Want something easier to conceal that's a lot like a Glock? Walther PPS. Same striker fired design. Almost identical trigger action, except the PPS has very little over travel. Accurate. Easy to conceal. Low recoil.

This is in no way a knock against Glock either. I have the G27, G23, G17, and G21. I have had others. These are some of my favs. To be honest, I carry the G23 more than the G27.. but when I am more concerned with concealing, I'll pick the PPS.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:50 PM   #10
Wuchak

If there were no difference Glock wouldn't have bothered making the smaller gun. There is a reason why every maker has full sized service pistols, compacts, and subcompacts. The G17 is for OWB duty carry, the G26 is for CCW, and the G19 is jack of all trades but it's a compromise for either role. The G26 has the same dimensions from the bottom of the grip the end of the barrel as a S&W J frame 38. It was made to replace the snubbies carried by officers. The G26 gave double the round count +1, similar weight, same manual of arms as their duty weapon, and could share magazines with the duty weapon.

I have a G26 and S&W Sigma which is the same size as the G19. For me there is a big difference between them for CCW. The G26 is easy to conceal IWB, OWB, in a Smartcarry, and in a pocket holster with some of my cargo shorts. It will also work in an ankle holster. It disappears and I don't know it's there no matter how I carry it. With the Sigma OWB or IWB I always know it's there and have to worry about printing. If you want a flexible carry piece with excellent capacity the G26 is it. When carrying the Sigma(which weighs about the same as the G19) it is just enough heavier than the 26 that it crosses over the line of what I want in weight for a carry gun. That extra metal on the slide, barrel, grip, and the extra ammo all adds up when you're carrying it all day. The Sigma lives in a quick access safe by the nightstand. The G26 goes out into the world.

I love the G26 and it is in my regular carry rotation. The more I carry it and shoot it the more I want to carry it and shoot it. I also happen to think the G26 is the only sexy Glock. If I had to make due with only one gun for carry year round for all locations the G26 would be the one I would chose. This coming from a revolver guy who never much cared for Glocks or semi-auto's in general.

I highly recommend the GAP floorplates for the G26 magazines. These don't add length they just extend the front of the magazine out a little. That projection aids in a positive grip when drawing and it sits between the ring finger and pinky when shooting to help with recoil control.

There is not a bad choice with either the G26 or the G19 but the G26 is purpose made as a CCW firearm and is excellent in that role. You'll eventually want both and a G17. The question is which to buy first. : )
Old August 2, 2011, 06:21 PM   #11
AK103K

I have more than a couple of all three, 17's, 19's, and 26's. While I like them, and shoot them, Im still having a hard time seeing the 19's point in the scheme of things.

The difference between the 17 and 26 is enough to make a noticeable difference. The difference between the 17 and 19 is minimal, and Id rather have the extra couple of rounds and comfort in the grip. The difference between the 19 and 26 is also basically minimal, but the 26 is small enough to be carried where the 19 cant.

I basically use my 26 as a back up, in either an ankle holster or a Galco Executive shoulder holster. More often than not, I just keep one on the front seat next to me while I drive too.

With all my Glocks, I use a 17 mag for the reloads. Helps keep things simple.
Old August 2, 2011, 06:54 PM   #12
federali

I've owned both. The G26 looks smaller but if you lay it atop the G19, there isn't much difference in size. Barrel length causes the least amount of concealment problems. It's thickness and height that are the critical measurments. Attempting rapid presentations with just the two-finger G26 grip is troublesome. Very easy to fumble the gun. Once you put the pinky rest on a G26 mag, you might as well carry the G19.

However, I have carried both a Kahr P9 and a G26 in a DeSantis mini-scabbard and they were perhaps the only rigs I ever carried where I could forget I was carrying.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Wuchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by federali
... Attempting rapid presentations with just the two-finger G26 grip is troublesome. Very easy to fumble the gun. Once you put the pinky rest on a G26 mag, you might as well carry the G19....
A GAP floorplate fixes that and doesn't change the length of the grip. It's a dramatic improvement.http://www.concealablecontrol.com
Old August 2, 2011, 07:31 PM   #14
AK103K

I found the grip extensions to be very annoying and unnecessary. They pinch your hand while shooting, but especially on a reload under stress. Once you get used to shooting without one, its really no big deal. You wrap your pinky underneath and shoot as usual.

Even after shooting the 26 on a weekly basis for a couple of years now, Im still amazed at how well and accurate they do shoot.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:40 PM   #15
Stevie-Ray

I own only the 26 in 9mm, but it was a great purchase. I probably won't buy the 19 or 17 because the 26 also makes for a fine range gun. There are those on this board that swear they shoot the 26 better than either the 19 or 17. I don't doubt it as mine is superbly easy to shoot and shoot well. I use mine expressly for night biking, as it affords easy draw and controllability with one hand while still controlling the bike. I'm another that doesn't like or need the special floorplates, and prefer the flat.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Cemo

I get by very well in cooler weather with the 19, but for me, the 26 works better for warm weather carry. All due to dressing for the Midwest weather of course. The grip on the 26 makes it just a tad easier to conceal with light clothing on. The bigger grip makes for a faster though IMO. They both fit well for CCW carry. As far as the accuracy of a 26, I purchased my 26 just a few years ago (carried a 27 before) and its first three shots were head shots of three Copper Head snakes that I came across while clearing out a fence row near the house. How much more accurate do they need to be?
Old August 2, 2011, 09:24 PM   #17
Wuchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak103K
I found the grip extensions to be very annoying and unnecessary. They pinch your hand while shooting, but especially on a reload under stress. Once you get used to shooting without one, its really no big deal. You wrap your pinky underneath and shoot as usual. ....
Agreed. Hence the GAP floorplate. It is not a grip extension. It's a mag floorplate extension. It is the same thickness as the factory plate it just sticks out about 1/4 inch in front. Check that link above to see it.. It makes a dramatic difference in drawing and shooting the G26. Every sub-compact maker should be using them as the standard floorplate. It simple but it transforms the gun.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Hog Red

get rid of the 19 and get the 26 (3 guns in one) with the different mags i can be you but you cant be me. LOL
Old August 2, 2011, 10:15 PM   #19
chewie146

I liked the 26 better than the 19. If you carry with the pachmayr extensions on the mags, it handles like a 19, but carries like a 26. For me, there isn't a better Glock 9mm. I tend to find the shorter barrels to be faster on target and easier to control. I had both, and I could shoot faster with the 26 than the 19. IDPA times proved it.
Old August 3, 2011, 09:49 AM   #20
reppans

I have the 19 and 26 and love them both - I shoot them about the same and use both as range guns. I have no issues w/ curling my pinky under the 26 mag. and they are equally comfortable for hundreds of rounds a session.

For me, the longer butt on the 19 prints when sitting or bending over - there is no question that the 26 carries better. However, the incremental size of the 19 is often worth 5 extra rounds, especially for winter carry.... something I can't say for the 2 extra rounds going from the 19 to the 17.

If I had to choose one, I guess it would have to be the 26 since I can make it a 19 with a mag and grip extension.
Old August 3, 2011, 11:28 AM   #21
CUBAN REDNECK

I own two G19's. I bought them both for under market value from friends who were part of the initial stampede who rushed to buy the G26 when it first came out. I think I'm good with the G19. I like the feel and performance as well as concealment. I have tried out the G26 and I just don't like the size and thickness of the pistol. BTW, my friends switched back to the G19 after a few years. They both tried to sell me their respective G26's, but I wasn't interested.
Old August 4, 2011, 12:39 AM   #22
voyager4520

I'm 5'11" 170lbs and to conceal my G23 on the hip I have to wear a baggy shirt or a jacket to cover the printing of the grip. With my G27 all that's required is a loose shirt.
Old August 4, 2011, 01:04 AM   #23
Don Glock

of course the g26 is easier to conceal, get whatever you like better.....
Old August 4, 2011, 01:37 AM   #24
Code3GT

I bought one of each. Love em both. The 26 is a tad more comfortable with a tshirt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
Old August 4, 2011, 09:03 AM   #25
peacefulgary

Quote:
BTW, my friends switched back to the G19 after a few years. They both tried to sell me their respective G26's, but I wasn't interested.
Why would they do that when all they could buy a 15-round magazine and sleeve for their G26, which would essentially make their G26 in to a G19.

Basically, a G26 can become a G19 but a G19 cannot become a G26.