The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 3, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Sgt Pepper

Winchester Model 320 aftermarket magazines

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 320 magazine fed bolt-action .22 rifle from a friend. Unfortunately, he could not find the original magazine, and so I had to shop around. In researching this rifle, I learned that the action was imported from a company in Australia and later produced here in the states under the Kimber rifle brand (not the same as Kimber everybody knows today). I learned that factory mags were 5 rounders and aftermarket mags were 10 rounders. It is not clear whether or not the Winchester was offered with a 10 round mag, nor is it clear whether or not you can buy an aftermarket 5 round mag.

Anyway, I was unable to locate a factory magazine, and so I purchased an aftermarket mag from Cheaper Than Dirt. The mag is made by a company called Triple K and cost about $26 IIRC. I saw that one review on the mag said that it did not fit properly and did not function at all, but I went ahead anyway because there are no other options that I could find.

When I received the mag, it looked fine, but alas it would not lock into place in the receiver. Upon closer inspection, I realized that the locking lug on the aftermarket was way too thick to fit the locking mechanism in the receiver. The size difference was huge. So, I took a bench grinder to the lug on the aftermarket mag and ground it down until I could get it to lock in place. Et voila! The mag fits and works perfectly.

Since then, my friend located his factory five round mag and gave it to me. In the spirit of information sharing, I am attached a picture which shows the Triple K mag next to the factory magazine and shows the ground down area on the Triple K mag. The locking lug on the factory mag is barely more than a nub, but it works perfectly.

Anyway, to anyone who is interested, there is hope for Model 320 owners out there in need of a replacement or additional magazines.
Old August 3, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2
BXBALDWIN

Winchester Model 320 Magazines

I just received two magazines from Cheaper than Dirt similar as described in the previous post and it took me all of 5 minutes combined to complete the quick modifications on both with a Dremel and small file and they work perfectly.
Old March 13, 2014, 03:12 PM   #3
chuter

320 Magazines

I know the thread is old but it was one that popped up when I had to do research on mags for my recently acquired Model 320. I was able to find the aftermarket mags (Triple K brand) from both Bob's Gun Shop and Jack First Inc. Bob's had the better pricing, both had fantastic service.
Long story on how I had to tweak the mags and gun to get all to work but she feeds beautifully now. Here's my thread on the tweaks over on RFC.com: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=538436 The Triple K mags needed some tweaking to the mag latch dog. My Dremel took care of that.