The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
triplebike

Novice Range Report - Beretta PX4 Compact VS CZ P07 Duty

Both purchased NIB
PX4 (9MM) - $429 – With two 15 rd mags
P07 (9MM) - $449 – With two 16 rd mags.

Both have at least 1500 rds fired. Assorted factory ammo. Both have been flawless.

Ergonomics on both is excellent, but the PX4 has the added benefit of including 3 different back straps.

Upon initial take down of both, the PX4 has the higher level of quality workmanship. The Beretta machining & finish is superior IMHO. This shows in my next statement;

After 1500 rds fired , the PX4 has showed very , very little wear, just a few shiny spots where the slide rides on the frame. Just looking at the PX4 you would think that it had less than 100 rds through it. The CZ on the other hand does look like it’s been fired a lot. NOT wear mind you just those shiny surfaces that show up from use. I’m really nit picking here though, I believe both will give me umpteen years of excellent service.

In terms of cleaning & maintenance both are relatively easy. To field strip, the P07 is harder, but only because the PX4 is just incredibly simple, I can have the PX4 field stripped in less than 5 seconds.

Both of these handguns are an absolute joy to shoot. Both hammer fired. Both are very soft recoil shooters with a very slight edge going to the PX4. I like the sights on both, bright & easy for my old eyes to focus in on. The P07 gets the edge on reacquisition of target & a very slight edge on accuracy. I also give the P07 a slight edge in the trigger department, nice clean pull, not gritty at all. More muzzle flash with the P07. Once again I’m really nitpicking between the two.

Both weigh exactly the same & I have no problem carrying either one. Finding a holster for the P07 may be a bit harder. Added benefit of the P07 is that it comes as a decocker instead of the standard safety. Parts are supplied to set up as a standard safety which takes no more than a few minutes to convert.

I doubt that I’ll ever part with either of these firearms. I feel that they are both an outstanding value & would trust them to protect myself & my family. Super reliability, much more accurate that the majority of shooters. Excellent ergonomics. Easy to clean & maintain. Both have a rail for added accessories. If you looking for a handgun that will nicely fit the bill as a carry, range & home defense weapon for an extremely reasonable price, I would recommend giving these two a good look.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:20 PM   #2
dallascj

Thanks for the report. I have become a big PX4 fan in the past few months myself. I only have a compact in .40, however, and I haven't had an opportunity to shoot it yet. I hear that the compact has even lighter recoil than the full size, but haven't been able to verify that yet.
Old November 5, 2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Pilot

Good deal. Both are fine pistols.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
AdrianVall

I'm really beginning to love my PX4. Had a bunch of issues at first right out the box, but once I cleaned and lubed it up, its run flawlessly! Very soft recoil, great accuracy.. I was going to sell it to fund a Sig P938, but I'm thinking I might keep it. Its just a great gun to shoot. I don't know what to do.. anyone want to buy a PX4 compact 9mm ??