The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 26, 2009, 08:14 PM   #1
ar15man2009

transfering full auto weapons

Hello, I am new to this part of the forums but i have a question that some of you experts may be able to clear up. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

If i know somebody who has a fully automatic weapon but they do not have the stamp or proper registration Is there any way to get it transfered to my name and get the proper paperwork and requirments to own a fully automatic?
Old June 26, 2009, 08:35 PM   #2
AMX

You should stay away from that. There are a lot of legal MG's out there that wont get you into trouble.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:15 PM   #3
p99guy

If it wasnt registered by may of 1986, it is not and never will be transferable.

All its good for is two things...intact, a federal felony.(up to 10 years club fed and up to $100,000.00 fine)

Or disassembled and the receiver cut into 3 peices with a a cutting torch per ATF spec, a legal parts kit.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:36 PM   #4
Zilmo

That's just damn sad.
Old June 26, 2009, 11:30 PM   #5
ar15man2009

well it would have to be registered in somebody's name correct? But if it is registered in some unknown persons name from possibly decades ago,could i legally pay for the tax stamp and go through all of the papaerwork and fingerprinting and whatnot to make it legally in my name?
Old June 27, 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
ogree

If the person who it is registered to is not the person who currently has possession of it, they are both flirting with jail time.
If the person who has possession of it now has no idea who it was registered to in the past, it is contra ban.

Just because the weapon in question exists.....does not mean it was ever properly registered via the NFA as it should have been to be transferable.

This situation just sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen.

I would stay the hell away from it if I were you.
Old June 27, 2009, 07:11 AM   #7
jmorris

I agree with the above, stay far away. If the "sombody I knew" is a friend let him know what he is facing. Even if grandpa brought one back from the war but didn't get a tax stamp pre 5-19-86 it is (much) worse than junk. You would be in the same boat as the guy that illegaly converted a semi to full.
Old June 27, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Ridge_Runner_5

Old June 27, 2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Willie Lowman

Quote:
If i know somebody who has a fully automatic weapon but they do not have the stamp or proper registration Is there any way to get it transfered to my name and get the proper paperwork and requirments to own a fully automatic?

NO! You are talking about something that will get you locked up for a decade.
Old June 28, 2009, 06:44 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most possessors of unregistered NFA weapons know full well what they have and that it is illegal, but keep the weapon for some unknown reason, risking a felony conviction that could not only mean prison time but would permanently ban them from legally owning any firearm.

An unregistered NFA firearm can't legally be owned, sold, or transferred in any way. It cannot even be legally destroyed, cut up, or dumped in a lake because that would be destroying evidence of a felony (the illegal possession) and would itself be a felony.

If one comes innocently into possession of an unregistered NFA firearm (the classic "found it in the attic" story), the only legal option is to "abandon" (surrender) it to BATFE or the local police. BATFE is best, as they will check to see if it is registered, something local police might not do. BATFE/police contact is best done with the offices of an attorney to make sure of being treated as an honest citizen instead of a criminal.

Think of that weapon as being like a kilo of high quality heroin. It is contraband, period. It is worth money if sold, but selling it would void any claims of innocent encounter.

Jim