The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 11, 2009, 10:26 AM   #1
pohill

Colt 1851 .36 Navy

I just got this yesterday in Maine. It's an original, 4th Model, made in 1861. All matching numbers (even the wedge) except the loading lever. It was reblued some time ago which diminished its selling value, but the blue protected the gun. I see no pitting or rust at all (the cylinder scene is gone).
Here's the question that I also posted on Voy - should I strip the blue and return it to a more natural finish? Keep in mind that I didn't pay much for this gun so the resale value doesn't mean much to me. I paid under $600.

Last edited by pohill; March 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
olmontanaboy

That's a beauty, I'd think it looks great the way it is.
Old March 11, 2009, 10:45 AM   #3
mykeal

While I like the way the gun looks as is, since it's an original Colt it should, in my opinion, be restored to it's original finish.

Just my opinion.

Beautiful gun, congratulations on your acquisition.
Old March 11, 2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Ginormous

Looks great the way it is to me. The rebluing was part of the history of the gun anyway. Surely not every original Colt was left in a leaky attic, only to be found rusted 140 years later?

Each gun has it's on story, and that's part of this one's.

BTW, what's the white stuff on the ground behind the revolver?
Old March 11, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
pohill

I kinda agree with Mykeal on the finish. I don't know how old that re-blue is, and while I'm glad it was done (it saved the metal) it reminds me of an old guy who dyes his hair black (ooops, did I step on any toes? hehe). Then again, if it is a very old re-blue job, it's part of the gun's history.
I'll hem and haw and probably end up leaving it alone.
About that white stuff on the ground...it's been a long winter. What happened to global warming?
Old March 11, 2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Fingers McGee

Quote: Ginormous
Quote:
Looks great the way it is to me. The rebluing was part of the history of the gun anyway. Surely not every original Colt was left in a leaky attic, only to be found rusted 140 years later?

Each gun has it's on story, and that's part of this one's.
+1 Add my vote to the leave it as is column.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 11, 2009, 12:08 PM   #7
kirpi97

Upon looking at your find, my vote would be to leave in it's original condition. I have seen worse for wear revolvers. But that one is sweet for its age.
Old March 11, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
pohill

Thanks for the input everyone.
I just stripped it all down - only two screws needed some heat. The nipples came out easily. The loading lever does have the same serial number as the wedge, cylinder, barrel, frame, grips, etc. I'm going to clean it and try swapping parts with my Pietta, which, by the way, looks almost identical (it is a little heavier than the original).
Old March 11, 2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Becasue I am new at this....

Guys,

Because I am still a little dumb about values, I just gotta ask.

$600.00 is an outstanding price for this revolver is it not?
Old March 11, 2009, 04:02 PM   #10
pohill

If you can find an original Colt 1851 .36 Navy with matching serial numbers, in really good shape, for $575, grab it, or let me know about it. Some things I just can't pass up.
Then again, some people aren't into antique guns - they want shooters, and that's fine, too.
I got this original Whitney at the same store last year for $350, which is the best deal ever for me.
Old March 11, 2009, 06:25 PM   #11
shoebox1.1

are you stripping the blue off or keeping it? i vote for keep the blue. looks great and its part of the story
Old March 11, 2009, 06:50 PM   #12
pohill

I just stripped it down and cleaned it completely, and now the blue looks much better. In fact, the barrel has a slight plumb brown look to it, which is good. I should just leave it.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:20 PM   #13
kirpi97

Here we go again. Po, me thinks you will do what you wants in spite of our thoughts and wishes. But you are humoring us, right????
Old March 11, 2009, 08:30 PM   #14
pohill

Collective wisdom should not be ignored.
Wow, that's deep...I gotta write that down.
Wait, I just did.
I will most likely leave the blue because I don't have the energy to kick my own arse if I screw it up.
Old March 11, 2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Ginormous

You got two of 'em in there that are keepers.

Quote:
I will most likely leave the blue because I don't have the energy to kick my own arse if I screw it up.
Man, if only I could remember this one. This is so true.

--
Ginormous
Old March 26, 2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Don P

Its called beautiful patina. Leave them as they are. Just think of the years it took to look as they do and only if they could talk what stories would they tell?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 26, 2009, 11:51 AM   #17
pohill

I actually fired that 1851 .36 yesterday. #11 caps were too small - I pushed them on with a dowel and they split. .380 roundballs were a little too small - they didn't shave a ring. But it worked perfectly. I stripped it and cleaned it again and the finish is getting more towards plumb brown now, so I'll definitely leave it alone.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:24 PM   #18
sundance44s

Dave looks like you bought to originals in great shape for the price of good Italian copys ...All I can say is I`m Jealous ....I wouldn`t care if the finish was spray paint blue .........The main thing is I don`t see rust on eaither .