The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2005, 10:47 PM   #1
roy reali

Don't Cry Wolf

I am new here. I want to thank all of you for the great posts that I find not only entertaining but informative as well.

Now to my question.

This morning I went dove hunting. I took my 12ga Charles Daly auto. I took several brands of shells. The Wolf brand shells were not always ejecting. Once in awhile a hull would hang up have way out of the chamber. It was easy to clear and continue shooting. The other brands I had functioned without a hitch.

Has anyone else here tried Wolf shotgun ammo? Any similar results?
Thanks in advace for any feedback.
Old September 14, 2005, 02:17 AM   #2
phear_this_mind

Wolf is of such poor reputation that many companies will no longer warranty a gun if wolf ammunition is used. They make rounds for artillery and are known for not changing powder mixes for bullets. In other words, wolf ammo is generally considered to be a ticking time bomb. There are those who would disagree, but a manufacturor's warning not to use it is a pretty strong statement.

Since you had no problems with other brands I would say that pretty much says it all.
Old September 14, 2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Death from Afar

I didnt know about the random powder charges. My rule of thumb is use el cheapo for plinking and practice, but in the field use the best you can afford. We were once given a couple of cases of some weird european stuff for night shooting. We were on the back of a pickup, and every time you fired over the hood, the windscreen got covered in unburnt powder. It looked like it was snowing from inside the truck!
Old September 14, 2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Paintballer

*puts AMX back in wallet*
Whew! I was about this close (-) to buying a case of 00 wolf. Thanks for the heads up!
I think Ill spend the extra $$ and buy the remingtons.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:51 PM   #5
expeditionx

The only warnings I have seen about wolf ammunition were connected to their
rifle ammunition specifically. For instance, centerfire wolf used to have nothing but laquer coated cartridges that gave some mini 14s and mini 30s and ar 15s a little trouble because of the laquer. They now use polymer coated centerfire cartridges on alot of their centerfire rifle ammo.
Wolf rimfire 22 lr is not made by Wolf at all but by SK in Germany.

The Wolf shot gun shells I have seen are also made in Germany.These are not loaded with wrongful powder. Ive had nothing but excellant results with Wolf 12 gauge buckshot and slugs. Very exceptional quality for the price. Wold match target .22 lr is well sought after because it is exceptional match quality stuff. I can shoot 5 Wolf/SK .22 german made rounds into a .30 group at 50 yards. At 25 yrads I can shear a pencil in two every time with a CZ452 29 inch barrel rimfire. Its become my favorite .22 round and it only cost me $2.50 a box of 50.
I have shot the buckshot and slugs extensively with zero problems.
The wolf 12 gauge shells say on them made in Germany. The shells on the back say SCHONBECK and the slug face has the initials SK.
It is quality stuff no doubt about it.

The Wolf centerfire rifle ammo that is poly coated is very popular and works well in all my AKs SKSs never had a problem. I just would not use the pistol ammo in my glock semiauto handguns because of the steel case posibly being too rough on the glock extractor unlike the sks or ak which work fine with it.
Old September 14, 2005, 09:04 PM   #6
vitesse9

Wolf Shotgun Ammo Is Great

For practice, the slugs and the 00 buck have always been well worth the money. In fact, I get the best groups from the Wolf rifled slugs out of my 870 police mag. Tried the more expensive stuff, but the Wolf worked best. It is a bit on the dirty side, but it's not that bad.

The Wolf stuff does seem to be a little light on recoil. Maybe it wasn't cycling in your auto for that reason.

Also Wolf Shotgun shell are made in Germany. What is said about Wolf rifle and handgun ammo cannot necessarily be applied to its shotgun ammo.
Old September 15, 2005, 08:43 PM   #7
expeditionx

Ill agree 100percent the centerfire rifle/pistol Wolf is russian made.
The shotgun and rimfire Wolf is SK of Germany.