The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2015, 09:14 PM   #51
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
To me a loaded gun has to fire if I pull the trigger...
By this definition, any single action firearm is unloaded as long as it is not cocked, even if the chamber is loaded.

That definition would also mean that a gun with a manual safety set to the safe position is unloaded even if a round is chambered since pulling the trigger wouldn't fire it.

I think it's pretty clear that by any definition or stretch of the imagination, a firearm with a round in the chamber is loaded.
Old July 10, 2015, 10:36 PM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
Someone either chambered a round or there was a round chambered in the first place.
The slide was locked back when he handed the pistol to someone off-camera to verify that it was unloaded. It was handed back with the slide locked back. Paige then released the slide, pointed the gun at the floor (and his foot), and pulled the trigger. Obviously, he chambered a round. Which proves that a gun with a loaded magazine is not an empty (unloaded) firearm.
Old July 10, 2015, 11:53 PM   #53
stagpanther

Quote:
To me a loaded gun has to fire if I pull the trigger, that means that their has to be a round chambered. I can pull the trigger on an empty chamber all day with a loaded mag and the gun will do nothing, to me that is not loaded.

Like the saying goes, lock and load. Not load, lock, and load.
Not necessarily true--A weapon with the bolt locked back can inadvertently strip a round and fire if bungled the right way--and has happened. However small the chances may appear to be to actually fire--if a live cartridge is in the gun--it's loaded. Unless the mag is out, the bolt/cylinder disabled and the chamber verified look and feel empty--then I assume the weapon is loaded. Murphy is your shooting instructor--he's gonna find a way to get you to AD!
Old July 11, 2015, 03:33 AM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

What the US Army taught me to do in 1975, on command..

LOCK (a loaded magazine into the weapon)
&
LOAD (load a round into the chamber)

This was the command sequence for anything that used a magazine. (and fired from the closed bolt)

For weapons that did not use a magazine (belt fed) or used a magazine and fired from the Open Bolt)
the commands were

LOAD (insert belt or loaded mag)
&
MAKE READY (move bolt to the firing position)

Some instructors would use Load & Make Ready for magazine fed closed bolt weapons as well. LOAD meant insert a loaded magazine, and Make Ready was the command to chamber a round.

The definitions I learned and will continue to use are

Loaded =ammo in the gun. round in the chamber, or not

Unloaded = no ammo in the gun

for transport, loaded is what ever the law says it is.

and, if you must be more precise, I suggest "Ready", "live" or "hot" to indicate a round in the chamber beyond the assumption of one from the term "Loaded".

Use whatever terms you feel best with, but, if you think a gun isn't loaded when there are rounds in it, but none in the chamber, I hope you never find out differently.
Old July 11, 2015, 04:21 AM   #55
Taco-XL

When i think "fully loaded" i think of how i order my burger at Five Guys.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:12 AM   #56
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantsx
miltary definitions have nothing to do with this.
Why not? What definitions do you believe have anything to do with this? Legal definitions? Personal definitions on a forum? I can show you thousands of different ones of either type that support any position that you want to take. Why are they any more relevant than military definitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesizepotato
Firmly believe that loaded = round in the chamber. A semi-auto with a full magazine but no round in the chamber is functionally identical to a semi-auto with ammo located in the next county over until someone consciously racks the slide or teleporting cartridge technology is invented. Pull that trigger all you want, nothing is going to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragline45
To me a loaded gun has to fire if I pull the trigger, that means that their has to be a round chambered. I can pull the trigger on an empty chamber all day with a loaded mag and the gun will do nothing, to me that is not loaded.
I would guess that both of you have very little experience with open-bolt weapons.

If you ever go to shoot one, you may be surprised by what happens when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber with a loaded mag thinking that it's "unloaded". Make sure that you have it pointed downrange, because it's going to go off.

Trying to apply your personal terminology from your limited experience to everyone doesn't work very well.

Last edited by 45_auto; July 11, 2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:47 AM   #57
DanTSX

45 auto, you are projecting. My experience isn't limited.

To be clear, I am talking about the Army qualification range commands you cited. These commands and other regulations are rooted in older weapon types than we are talking about. Noteably, applied from bolt action arms as another poster thoughtfully pointed out. Would it be too much to read the entire conversation for context before admonishing me or berating anyone who didn't serve as an uneducated fool? You were taught a method that addressed the lowest common denominator to keep every joe who never touched a gun before safe and operating on the same page. That works for boot. (Maybe) but out here in the real world, we are having this very discussion of what it means when someone wants fool around with loaded ammunition supplies in the presence of cold guns.

Oh I know what happens on an open bolt firearm. Don't assume so much.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:04 AM   #58
osbornk

To me, it's simple. If there is ammo in the weapon, it's loaded. If it can be fired without adding anything, it's loaded.
Old July 11, 2015, 09:12 AM   #59
mavracer

Quote:
Obviously lots of people on here who've never qualified with a firearm in the military.
In the military terms lock and load.
load refers to loading the chamber.
Let your Drill tell you to unload the gun and you just empty the chamber and leave a loaded mag in place and see what happens
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 11, 2015, 09:47 AM   #60
BarryLee

Wow, thought I’d get four or five responses and the thread would fade away. I didn’t count the actual responses, but it seems the general consensus is that a loaded magazine inserted into a gun equals a loaded gun even if there is nothing in the chamber.

I realize the range probably posted the sign to avoid any confusion and I obviously have no issue with that. The only thing that I disagreed with was the range employee’s assertion that a handgun with a loaded magazine inserted, but no round chambered was somehow not a loaded weapon.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 11, 2015, 10:29 AM   #61
Dragline45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 auto
I would guess that both of you have very little experience with open-bolt weapons.

If you ever go to shoot one, you may be surprised by what happens when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber with a loaded mag thinking that it's "unloaded". Make sure that you have it pointed downrange, because it's going to go off.

Trying to apply your personal terminology from your limited experience to everyone doesn't work very well.
Not sure if you realize this, but this is the semi auto handgun forum. The overwhelming majority of open bolt weapons are rifles and submachine guns, I cant even find an example of a true open bolt semi-auto pistol. If we were having this discussion in the NFA section, you might have been onto something.

Last edited by Dragline45; July 11, 2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old July 11, 2015, 10:58 AM   #62
Skans

Quote:
Obviously lots of people on here who've never qualified with a firearm in the military.
Since I only shoot civilian firearms, military definitions don't apply to me.
Old July 11, 2015, 11:03 AM   #63
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 auto

Not sure if you realize this, but this is the semi auto handgun forum. The overwhelming majority of open bolt weapons are rifles and submachine guns, I cant even find an example of a true open bolt semi-auto pistol. If we were having this discussion in the NFA section, you might have been onto something.
All the responses are appropriate regardless of the weapon type--the OP did not specify a particular platform. If anything, the thread was not categorized properly from the beginning while this remains a very relevant and important safety discussion to all types of firearms.
Old July 11, 2015, 11:24 AM   #64
Knightsofnee

It's obviously a loaded question.
Old July 11, 2015, 12:15 PM   #65
stagpanther

Quote:
It's obviously a loaded question.
You should be changed into a newt!
Old July 11, 2015, 04:28 PM   #66
lifesizepotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_auto
I bow to your profound and universal wisdom in showing me the error of my ways.

Or at least I would, if I said that my definition applied to all those open bolt firearms we encounter daily. I'll make further amendments for the belt-feds and the Dardick mag-fed revolvers we all have kickin' in the back of our safes.

Last edited by lifesizepotato; July 11, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old July 11, 2015, 04:40 PM   #67
DanTSX

Mavracer, your DI isn't here, and the consequences for an accident for misunderstanding "loaded" are far more severe than him making you guys run or do more push-ups. People can end up dead. This isn't a controlled range, so not all rounds ND's are going one direction.
Old July 11, 2015, 05:07 PM   #68
Limnophile

Quote:
I realize the range probably posted the sign to avoid any confusion ... .
I'm still confused.

Quote:
No Loaded Guns or Magazines
In my mind you comply with the first prong by removing the magazine (if loaded) and clearing the chamber. To comply with the second prong you unload any rounds in the magazine then reinsert the mag into the pistol. I don't know if these common-sense measure would put me into compliance with the way the range interprets their sign.

Last edited by Limnophile; July 12, 2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old July 11, 2015, 05:08 PM   #69
mavracer

DanTSX,
You should work on reading comprehension, my point was to illustrate that while the military uses the term load for actually load in the chamber it most certainly considers a firearm with rounds on the mag and the mag locked in place that it is loaded and to unload the arm one must remove all rounds
Old July 11, 2015, 08:40 PM   #70
TxFlyFish

If the bacon bits, sour cream, and scallions are not touching the soft interior of the baked potato then it's NOT a loaded baked potato. Sprinkling those ingredients about an uncut baked potato imho does not make it a LOADED baked potato
Old July 11, 2015, 10:25 PM   #71
DanTSX

Mav, I'm talking about the guy in the gun store, and the signs there. For various reasons, the military's definitions do not apply.

Moving on....
Old July 12, 2015, 12:32 AM   #72
mavracer

Quote:
For various reasons, the military's definitions do not apply.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

It's not a military definition of a loaded weapon. It's a command to load the chamber. The military considers a weapon with 1 round in the magazine a loaded weapon. The military considers a weapon with 5 rounds in the magazine a loaded weapon The military considers a weapon with 15 rounds in the magazine a loaded weapon, The military considers a weapon with 30 rounds in the magazine a loaded weapon no matter if there is a round in the chamber or not. Hence an unloaded gun for civilian or for military doesn't have any rounds in the magazine or the chamber and a loaded gun has rounds in it even if it doesn't have a round chambered.

Last edited by mavracer; July 12, 2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old July 12, 2015, 12:53 AM   #73
Radny97

The state of Utah defines a loaded gun as being a gun which requires only a single mechanical action for it to fire. This means that a loaded magazine without one in the chamber is not a loaded gun under Utah law. If it is a revolver and you have to pull the trigger twice it is also not considered loaded. It is illegal in Utah to carry a loaded gun concealed without a concealed carry permit. However I am an attorney in Utah and I know of individuals who were carrying a firearm concealed without a concealed carry permit and the prosecutor had to drop the charges because although the gun had a loaded magazine there was not one in the chamber and therefore was not considered a concealed weapon. Interesting definition given this discussion
Old July 12, 2015, 01:19 AM   #74
JeffK

The way I look at it is, would I handle a gun without concern and dry-fire it, in my home or in a gun store, if it contained a loaded magazine? Absolutely NO, I would remove the magazine, clear and check the chamber, and look it over very carefully before deciding it is safe to do those things. If there is a loaded magazine in the gun, even if the chamber is empty, it is loaded and gets the full respect a loaded gun deserves.
Old July 12, 2015, 05:24 AM   #75
JJ45

Loaded

In Pa. if you have a hunting rifle in your vehicle with rounds in the magazine and chamber empty it is considered loaded by the Pa Game Commision and you WILL get busted if your weapon is in this condition and they check you.

During Flintlock only season if your piece has a load in the barrel but no priming charge in the pan it is considered UNLOADED and is legal for transport in a vehicle. Same with cap locks/inlines, the possibility of ignition is the factor.

"All guns are always loaded", I think it was Jeff Cooper who said there are two kinds of shooters in the world; those who have had an accidental discharge AND THOSE WHO WILL! This is something to ponder very seriously.

Obviously Rule #1 is not technically true, it means potentially loaded and needs to be observed. Even if you observe just one of the 4 rule and break all the others you probably avoid shooting something you don't want to.
Closed Thread