The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 13, 2013, 03:43 PM   #1
EFMAN2K3

First visit to Bass Pro Shop

I ran into an unexpected situation upon my first visit to Bass Pro Shop. There are two signs indicating that firearms need to be checked in at the counter/desk. I handed my firearm which I was carrying concealed, to an employee who proceeded to mount a large bulky trigger lock on it. He then handed it back to me. I then went browsing with my gun in my hand because it did not fit in the holster with the trigger lock. This made me uncomfortable as I thought someone may dial 911 and report a man with a gun. I tried wrapping it in a store flyer but that made it look alot more suspicious. I was able to slide it in my front pocket and my shirt covered it. I then went about my business. When I got home I found out through various web sites that Bass Pro Shops is very Pro conceal carry. Apparently the sign is meant for firearms that are going to be serviced at the gun counter. Again, being my first time in the store I did not know that. The signs did not reflect it either. The store is in Orlando, an hour away from me. I am now wondering if anything could have happened had someone called 911 and also if this came as a surprise to anyone else? Thank you.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
shouldazagged

I had a somewhat similar experience at the Clarksville, IN, store across the Ohio from Louisville; but when I explained my EDC was not coming in for service, a very nice gentleman waved me in with the piece holstered in my pocket as usual. Never would have been questioned if I hadn't asked about the sign, but it really wasn't clear.

Haven't been there for a couple of years. I hope they'vew clarified the policy on their signs.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Our local had the same sign but took it down.

But they said it was for people bringing firearms into the store for parts, service, whatever.

It didn't pertain to concealed carry.

It became a moot point because they took the sign down.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
redrick

Like Froghorn said, when I asked CS if that applied to my CC gun they said no.
Old April 13, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
BarryLee

When I see signs like that I generally just ignore them I kind of figure if they don’t say anything I won’t either.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 14, 2013, 06:36 AM   #6
EFMAN2K3

Thanks, I know better now. It's a very nice store and they are going to build one less than 10 minutes from me.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
22-rimfire

The sign applies to guns that you might be handling inside the store. For example, not declaring your concealed carry gun is just fine, but if you intend to buy a holster and fit it to the gun, then you should have it checked at the door. I got in trouble for that... not really "trouble" but it was mentioned to me that I should have checked the gun at the door.
Old April 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
redrick

As he should have, empolyee doing a good job.
Old April 14, 2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Stuckless

I doubt this to be true.

You handed a store employee a loaded gun?? He didn't question your intelligence??
Old April 14, 2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Stuckless

Actually, I re-read. Now I'm 90 percent sure this story is hokey. They unload them when you hand them over. They wouldn't try putting a trigger lock on without checking.
Old April 14, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11
EFMAN2K3

The gun was NOT loaded. The guy asked me if it was loaded. It was not at the time. My magazine was in my pocket. I thought perhaps they were going to put it in a locker until I left the store like some camera shops do when you walk in a with bags. It took me by surprise when he handed it back to me. I see I am not the only one who went through something similar.
Old April 16, 2013, 12:52 AM   #12
Stuckless

You carry a gun unloaded??

I am at bass pro on average of once a week. I have never, ever seen someone walk up and pull a pistol out and hand it to one of their greeters, but I hope I get to witness it soon.
Old April 17, 2013, 04:14 PM   #13
RamItOne

I walked into a sportsmans warehouse carrying my .308 (left the bolt in the truck) just as a father and son were walking out, no reaction from them and I really didn't expect one from them, ah love Texas. Would not even think of that being in Florida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckless
you carry a gun unloaded??
lmao

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old April 18, 2013, 01:41 AM   #14
MrDontPlay

I go to BPS here in Springfield mo all the time. You only check in guns to use at the range or for the gun smith. I'm sure I could open carry and no one would say a word.
Old April 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #15
adamc

My 1st time was last week in Nashville TN...

Not much ammo, reloading supplies, guns, handguns, etc...empty shelves
just lots of fishing stuff....

I could have stayed home here in Connecticut and gone to Cabelas
to see that

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"