The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2008, 06:11 PM   #1
TheShootist1894

38/357 loads using Reddot, any Help??

Have about 3/4 lb of Reddot left over from the last trap season, and I am getting back into loading 38/357's to feed my GP-100 through the long winter ahead

I know of a couple of loads for 357 using Reddot, but what about the 38? How bout the +P?

I can load +P in regular 38 brass right?

Help a guy out

Thanks Guys
Karl
Old September 14, 2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Stumper

My Red Dot loads are Hercules Rdot. Newer lots of ALlliant may perform differently- if you base things upon Alliant's published Data you will conclude that current Red dot must be much faster in burning rate (max loads are 20% lower than older Speer and Lyman data)----I suspect that Alliant has consumed some prunes but I don't KNOW if old data is safe with new lots of powder.
Having said that . I load.38 spl with H.RedDot-3.2 grains behind a 160 grSWC for mild plinking loads, 3.7 grains under a 115 WC for a mild but speedy target load. 4.0 grains under 160 SWC gives factory equivalent(standard pressure) load.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old September 14, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
tom234

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...nd%20Revolvers
Several Red Dot loads are listed for .38 and .357. If you don't see your bullet weight email Alliant and they will send you back specific load data; they are very responsive. For +P loads you are better off with a slower burning powder like Herco, Blue Dot , or 2400.
Old September 19, 2008, 05:26 AM   #4
eme

The above information is good and you should go to the various reload data info. for the powder you are using. I personnally would not load a 38+p loading in a standard
38 case. The pressure of a +P is normally about 2,000-3,000 CPU or PSI or what ever it's called in the manual you are using, higher than the standard 38.
There are several loadings in standard 38, which will be very close to the +P in FPS for the same weight bullet, but again the CPU or PSI is higher and this is where it gets hairy. Not worth the effort for the problems which "could" occur. Good luck in your quest.
Old September 20, 2008, 08:54 AM   #5
zxcvbob

4.0 grains of Red Dot under a 125 grain Berry's copper-plated HP is a very accurate .38 target load -- in my gun anyway -- and it's kind of near the upper end of standard pressure before you get to "+P", so it should be a useful load for 4-legged vermin. (for 2-legged vermin, use something with a soft 158 grain bullet)
Old September 20, 2008, 09:30 AM   #6
floydster

I use Alliant Red Dot 3.3 grs, 158 cast WC, this is a killer load for critters
and a fine target load in my Blackhawk 357.
Floydster a.k.a. Smokeyloads