The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 9, 2005, 01:23 AM   #1
xmastree

Gonna have fun in the dark tonight...

A Local LEO asked me if I could help him get hold of a Nioght vision scope. I duly found and bought this one on ebay. It came from the Ukraine, as apparently it's illegal to export them from the US.

Anyway, it arrived today, and we're going to the range tonight to try it out. I'll take along my lasergripped .45 to try that in the dark too.

Trouble is, we need some warm targets, I suppose we can always remove it and just look through it at each other...
Old May 9, 2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Terry Twit

That's not a thermal scope, it's an image intensifier. Warm or cold won't matter.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3
perception

Looks like fun, I wish I had one. No, wait, i wish I had one and a rifle to put it on. There, thats better.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

They are a lot of fun. I have a gen. 1 Night Owl, but one thing you want to be careful with on these generation one models. Bright light. The 1st generation one's don't have overload protection and turning it on during daylight, or pointing at bright lights will burn it out fast. Found that out the hard way; cost me over a hundred bucks for a new intensifier tube.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 9, 2005, 10:10 PM   #5
xmastree

Quote:
That's not a thermal scope, it's an image intensifier. Warm or cold won't matter.
You're right, It was fun though, until it rained. It also intensifies the muzzle flash...
The downside is that the IR Illuminator emits visible light too, so the enemy can see you.
Old May 10, 2005, 10:53 PM   #6
SpectreBlofeld

You can purchase infrared-only (invisible to the eye) lights relatively cheaply.
Old May 12, 2005, 04:49 AM   #7
xmastree

That's a thought, although we'd need a long range narrow beam one with a weaver rail mount... Is there such a beast?

No point illuminating an area wider than the scope's field of view.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:44 AM   #8
pointfiveoh

I maybe mistaken but I believe surefire makes one, and I think you can get ir lasers as well. Somthing to look into, wish I was having to search one out to play with my nv scope.
Old May 12, 2005, 09:01 AM   #9
Terry Twit

SureFire makes an IR filter for the 6P, and if you ring-mount it and add a tapeswitch you've got a very effective IR illuminator. Just remember, everyone with NODs can see you.
Old May 14, 2005, 01:20 AM   #10
xmastree

This ought to do the trick. I assume it can be mounted on a weaver rail...

As for the thermal imaging scope,This this would be nice, but at $13,000 it's a little over budget...