The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 19, 2002, 07:19 PM   #1
Sisco

Opinions on Kershaw knives

Local store got in a batch of Kershaw "Ken Onion" black-out knives. Pretty cool, especially the speed safe opening feature. They're selling for $55, good deal?
Old July 19, 2002, 07:32 PM   #2
9x45

A very gun deal! You will be pleased at the quality, especially at that price. The knife is well made, and super sharp. Be careful when you open it, the back side of the point can cut also.
Old July 20, 2002, 12:02 PM   #3
AK103K

What 9x45 said, and leave that guard on till you get the opening down, or your thumb will look like on of them two headed worms in biology class. Just make sure you flick "out and away" and you'll be ok. Dont ask how I know about the worm thingie
Old July 20, 2002, 02:03 PM   #4
Sisco

OK, I just gotta ask... Did you cut your worm thingie or what?
Old July 20, 2002, 03:16 PM   #5
AK103K

LOL, actually it was my son who tried to make his thumb look like the worm. We all got one for Christmas last year. I told'em, dont take that thing off till ya got it down, but oohhh nooo, what do I know! For real though, they are real sharp right out of the box. I guess there must be a lot of thumbs with the same scar out there, cause they put that guard on it at the factory. They are a cool knife, really just a switch blade without the switch. Suprised no one thought of it before.
Old July 20, 2002, 06:46 PM   #6
MW740

I carry one every day because it is very light and fast to open. I would highly recomend the whirlwind.
Old July 20, 2002, 07:29 PM   #7
Sisco

I see the Blackout and Whirlwind are both made of the same material, 440A stainless, how well do they hold an edge and how hard are they to sharpen?
Old July 20, 2002, 08:39 PM   #8
slick slidestop

I have the Blackout and it is my daily carry knife. I have not had to sharpen it yet and I have had it for about 6 months or so now. That's the good thing about the serrated blade, it stays sharp
Old July 20, 2002, 09:04 PM   #9
Catbird

I love my Kershaw Black Out; I carry it everyday.

I got mine from www.midsouthshooters.com for $42.16.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old July 20, 2002, 10:20 PM   #10
craigz

There's two ways to go here. 440A is a so-so steel for knives. The higher-end Ken Onion Kershaws use 440V, which holds an edge far better. However, I'm not sure if the flick-opening gimmick is really worth spending a lot of money on. I have a Kershaw Mini-Task, and while it's a slick concept, it doesn't seem particularly sturdy, and I never carry it. So, buying the cheaper Blackout might be a good idea, if you sharpen it regularly. Then if the gimmick breaks, you're not out a lot of money.