The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2012, 08:15 PM   #1
raindog

Kydex IWB empty for prolong periods - OK?

I am planning to get a quality IWB holster - crossbreed, raven, white hat, something like that.

I can't carry at work (company policy forbids). However, I'd like to wear my holster full time so it always feels natural (and my clothes are properly sized).

Will an empty Kydex-based holster deform typically if it's worn empty for a long period of time (8-9 hours a day)? I can ask the maker, too, when I pick one.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
BarryLee

Well, it seems like it could deform the holster with the belt applying pressure all day. So, just in case what if you bought a “blue gun” and cut the grip off then holstered it to help hold the shape?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 29, 2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Sixer

The Kydex should hold up just fine from normal wear.

Of course, if you bump into something without a gun in the holster... it could definitely break the kydex shell.

Fortunately the stuff is cheap and you should be able to replace the shell if that ever happened.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
TAKtical

Quality IWB holster

If you are looking at IWB hybrids you might as well take a look at my for sale thread. The holster will not deform if worn empty. Kydex is pretty tough stuff. I make hybrids similar to the crossbreed and options like combat cut or OD green kydex dont cost any extra. $40 for any holster. I wouldnt worry about bumping into stuff either. Ive smacked kydex shells with a hammer and they didnt break or crack. Thicker kydex will be even stronger but even the .060 is strong enough to withstand bumping into stuff. I carry up to .093 in OD and black.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia

Last edited by TAKtical; October 30, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old November 6, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Yung.gunr

I would bet you are ok. It would probably be better then leaving it in your car all day.

I was looking at a holster company (canr remember which one) and they use a thinner kydex for a model and they say not to leave it in the car as it will deform from the heat.