The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 5, 1999, 04:18 PM   #1
TMC

o.k., bought a IGA coachgun but I think its going to need some modification. I has shell ejectors and when the release lever is swung the saftey goes on. Is this the way everyone else's works. The shell ejectory is no problem its just a lever pinned in the forearm but the saftey is another issue. Do all these guns come this way and if so do you just get into the habit of pushing it off for do you modify the lever so it will not push the saftey on. Thanks for the info.
Old September 6, 1999, 09:35 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

As far as I know, all modern break-open shotguns have an automatic safety. There are some shooters that disengage this but most leave it alone. It doesn't really add any time to your score to disengage it. I usually mount the shotgun to my shoulder with my shooting hand thumb riding the rear of the safety. As the shotgun gets into the "pocket" I push forward on the safety by flicking my thumb forward then firing.
For clarification, I believe that you have extractors and not ejectors (ejectors are illegal in many CAS-type shoots). Extractors pull the shell partially out of the chamber so that the operator may manually pull them out of the weapon and ejectors throw the shell completely out of the weapon automatically. As long as it's working correctly I see no need to mess with it.