The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2012, 08:49 PM   #1
dj_28

Remington UMC 12 ga pump

One of these just walked in to my shop today. I know every little about it other than what I have read on the web. It like most everything else this guy brings me is in rough shape. Broken stock at the wrist, trigger will not engage, and forearm shows it age.

I have not even took it apart yet to see what it will need because I can't find anyone that has parts for this gun.

If anyone knows where to find parts for this gun or knows more about it all info. will be helpfull.

Thanks guys

DJ
Old August 5, 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Scorch

What model?
Model 10? First pump shotgun Remington made. Easy to identify, has a flapper style carrier hinged at the side.
Model 17? JM Browning design, bottom feed and eject, takedown, the precursor design to the Ithaca Model 37.
Model 29? Bottom loading and ejection, takedown.
Model 31? Remington's first side-ejecting shotgun, looks like a steel Mossberg 500.

Parts are generally not available, if they are they are generally used parts with the same problems your gun already has, or used parts with a problem your gun doesn't have yet. Stocks are available pre-carved unfinished, expect to pay about $130 or more for a buttstock, $90 for a forearm, and put a lot of work into it.

If it was me, I would explain gently to the customer that it cannot be fixed for less than he would pay for a new 870 Wingmaster. I rebuilt a Model 10 a few years ago for a friend (sentimental value, it was his Dad's wedding gift from his new wife/my friend's Mom) and with new wood, reblue, straighten the barrel, and fix the carrier, he paid me $600 for the work and now the shotgun lives in a closet.
Old August 8, 2012, 01:04 PM   #3
dj_28

Yeah it's a model 10
Old August 9, 2012, 04:08 AM   #4
Scorch

Turn it away. Model 10 parts are hard to come by from any source, and new parts are not available. It was first released in 1908, and made until 1929, so it is almost a century out of production. If you choose to rebuild it, it will be a labor of love, because you will spend days trying to get it to feed, and you will never get paid that for it.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
dj_28

Thanks for in input. Thats what I was leaning towards but had not decided yet. I have found the parts to fix it but it will cost more to fix than it would be worth.

DJ