The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 14, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1
outdoorsman62

Trap shooting

What are the awards in amateur trapshooting in Ohio and what do you have to do to get them?
Old April 15, 2014, 08:49 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

It depends. Different clubs and different competitions have different prizes.

In my experience shooting trap competitively the prizes have mostly been belt buckles. At some competitions, trophies of some type would be awarded. At a few, the prizes we shells or various items of gear or accessories.

At the bigger and/or more important competitions, the prizes would be nicer.

Most of the time, only the the person winning a particular event in his class would get a prize. Occasionally a prize would be awarded to the runner-up as well. And sometimes there were special prizes for the person who had the highest aggregate score for all events -- sometimes in a class or category (e. g., High Lady or High Veteran).
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 16, 2014, 05:14 PM   #3
BigJimP

Check with your local clubs..../ and find out what the local organization is...ATA or whatever...

All of the ATA events in my area....have cash prizes / and you have to decide on which options to pay to enter...when you sign up. Last I knew, they did not have a "Hunter" class...where you could just shoot the event as an
un-registered shooter ...or not for the prize money. But classes, etc are all determined by your averages and you have to record your scores ( like a golf handicap ) - based on your scores in the registered shoot events you attend. It used to take 500 targets or 5 events to get an official handicap and class.
----------
If you're just talking local club events, not ATA sponsored, it can be anything ....but its usually only open to "club members".
---------
But Trap Shooters....shoot for Cash Prizes....!! They don't want shells, hats and trophies.../ they have all of that they want...its about the money !
Old April 16, 2014, 06:42 PM   #4
outdoorsman62

I shoot with my club and I'm an ATA member I am just getting into trap and out of the 75 we shoot a night usually shoot a 20 21 20 or higher that's the lowest iv shot but I've only shot three times so I wonder what I could win in different shoots and at the Ohio state shoot
Old April 16, 2014, 06:55 PM   #5
BigJimP

If you're already an ATA member....talk to your club rep for the ATA shoots - they will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
-------
There are sub classifications based on age.....and then it depends on your score averages.
--------
Shooting in the low 20's is a good starting average.../ but if you expect to win events, you'll need to really work at it and get your averages up in the 23 plus range pretty quickly..../ but 20's and a 21, show that you have some consistency which is good..../ but then you have to get that average up to a 21...then a 22...and then a 23....and hold it there...

Set goals ....say to shoot in the low 90's ( 4 rounds at 23 will give you a 92 )...but let's say you want to shoot that 92, with no one score less than a 22.../ and while the difference between a 22 and a 23 is only one bird....there is a huge difference between recording an 88 and a 92...
----------
Talk to your local rep...they will have shoot results for the last 2 or 3 registered shoots...and see what they gave for prizes, money, etc...and what it will cost you to enter the tournaments. The option payouts get kind of strange....depending on which shooters got into which options.../ so be careful on that stuff - it can get expensive !
---------
Going to a "State Shoot" is a whole different level of competition...you're jumping into a big pond now...but your state ATA will have a website, with the entry forms, cost ...and prizes to be awarded..
Old April 16, 2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

Keep practicing.

I remember one year at the California State shoot I was really hot. But a 95 in one of the handicap events wasn't even good enough to get me into the shoot-off. And a 195 in 16 yards (C Class) didn't get me into the shoot-off either.

That year the guy who took runner-up Singles Champion broke 399 straight targets. Yes, it took a 400 straight to win that one.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old April 16, 2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Jim Watson

ATA Trap is a gambling game. There are options, purses, auctions, and I don't recall what all else to let you substantially bet on yourself. Often there will be "added money" by the club.
If you don't play the options, you can win a trophy and some added money.
Old April 16, 2014, 08:14 PM   #8
Dreaming100Straight

I just started shooting local level trap competitions and it looks like a very good local club puts on monthly shoots that are a bit less costly than ATA events. Typical prizes are buckles and perhaps a leather shooting pouch. ATA events are also hosted at the same facility.

I joined ATA but got side tracked before I could enter any of its events.

You shouldn't have to shoot 23s to win in C or D class.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; April 16, 2014 at 08:29 PM.