The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1
Kappe

Historical question about the .50-70 Gov.

Ok, most folks reading this probably know the .44 Russian was the first internally-lubricated cartridge design, and the story behind it too.

Out of boredom, I opened up a notepad document and started jotting down all the rimfire and centerfire cartridges I could think of that came along before the .44 Russian in ~1870.
.22 Rimfire, .32 Rimfire, .44 Henry, .56-56 Spencer, .50-70 Gov, .46 Rimfire, .44 American, etc...

Wait, .50-70 Government. Designed in 1866. Wasn't that internally-lubricated too?

Looking at pictures of original .50-70 rounds, none of them seem to have heeled bullets. Am I missing something here, or was the .50-70, in all its stop-gappy glory, really the first modern, internally-lubricated cartridge, NOT the .44 Russian?
Old December 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
maillemaker

I did not know anything about the .44 Russian.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44_Russian

Here is the wikipedia entry on the .50-70 Government. There is no mention of lubrication in the article. I couldn't find any pictures of original .50-70 bullets with a cursory google search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50-70_Government

Steve
Old December 18, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Kappe

Here's one of the pictures I was looking at earlier of several .50-70 rounds. They look like they're rimfire, but they're actually centerfire Martin bar and Benet-primed.

The source (http://www.oldammo.com/november06.htm) claims the first two are from 1867-1868, which predates the .44 Russian. None of them have exposed lube grooves.

Last edited by Kappe; December 18, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old December 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Hawg

I believe they were outside lubed.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

A number of internally lubricated cartridges preceded the .44 S&W Russian, including the .58 Miller and the .58 Allin, and possibly the .58 Josslyn Carbine (but I'm not sure about that one).

But they were all military developments

The .44 Russian was the first COMMERCIALLY available internally lubricated cartridge.

They certainly were NOT externally lubricated, the primary reason being that anyone who shoots blackpowder rifle knows that to keep the black powder fouling soft you need a LOT of soft lubricant. Where would that be on those nice, smooth .50-70 bullets?

You pull one of those early cartridges apart, and you're going to find a bullet with 3 nice, wide, deep grease grooves.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Right here I just found a sectioned .50-70 case with a Benet primer...

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ed-case-bullet

It's a graphic from an ebay auction, so it's not great, but you can see the 3 grease grooves.

Old December 19, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
maillemaker

Great investigative work, Mike!

Steve
Old December 19, 2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

What a lot of people also don't know is that some of the early internally lubricated bullets...

were externally lubricated because, while they had non-heeled bullet, they had grease grooves ABOVE the case mouth.

Two examples are shown in this picture (the two on the left):

https://www.google.com/search?q=exte...4%3B1064%3B645

These are all .44 Russian cartridges, but the two on the left have external grease grooves in the non-heeled bullet. Interestingly, those two are apparently Russian made, but there were also American-made cartridges of the same type.

As a side note, the third bullet from the right is a very interest one... It's a late 1800s "pump lubricated" bullet.

The lube was in a hollow in the base of the bullet, with a plug covering it. On firing, the plug pushed the lube out through several small holes, one of which you can see in the side of the bullet.

Not very successful, difficult to manufacture, and didn't last very long.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; December 19, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old December 19, 2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Hawg

Cool Beans, thanks Mike.
Old December 19, 2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Kappe

Thank you, Mike Irwin. You're a wealth of information.
Old December 20, 2013, 05:10 AM   #11
radom

I did not say this but out of the US they used paper patch vs grease groves.
Old December 21, 2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

Paper patching of lead bullets was certainly used in the united states, but primarily commercially. And, frequently, the bullets had to be dip lubed to deal with the powder fouling, which is my guess as to why the paper patch never caught on with the military.