The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2012, 07:25 AM   #1
cbhester

Remington 11-87 Premier Butt Plate

I have a Remington 11-87 Premier 12ga and am wanting to purchase a butt plate for smoother shouldering while bird hunting. The stock butt plate is rubber and catches very easily on clothing while transitioning to the shoulder, anyone have recommendations as far as what you have tried and liked? Adjustable, non-adjustable etc.. I'll take any comments you want to give. Thanks!
Old January 3, 2012, 02:03 PM   #2
zippy13

You've discovered one of the pit falls of some of the modern recoil pads, they'll catch on your clothing. These pads are designed to stay put, once the gun is mounted, and reduce felt recoil. The new, softer materials are more apt to snag than the old pads.

Rather than alter your gun, have you considered modifying your mount? I usually shoot targets with a mounted gun, but have shoot low gun Skeet. It's easy to get your gun tangled up in your clothes if you use a straight up mount. I learned to use an out, up and in mount. I got more consistent mounts by having the final gun action into the shoulder, not stopping your upward slide. If you get used to bringing your gun straight up, instead of an outward swing, then adding a layer of clothing may snag your mount. Also, you might consider an International-style shooting vest.

If you're serious about changing your pad, you might first consider putting some tape on the existing one to make it more slippery. Or, another solution is an old school lace-on leather butt cover. Of course, with a smoother butt, it's more likely to slip after you get a good mount.

Last edited by zippy13; January 3, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old January 3, 2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Scorch

Pachmayer makes Sporting Clays pads for exactly the reason you are stating. A Sporting Clays recoil pad has a slick plastic heel tip so it will slip over clothes instead of hanging up in your shirt or jacket as you mount the gun. Take a look at it and decide if that's what you want.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111...r-texture-face
Old January 3, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

well, a little redneck, but some masking tape over the pad should reduce the snag.
Old January 3, 2012, 08:43 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Of course, with a smoother butt, it's more likely to slip after you get a good mount.
I thought this was rated GP.
Old January 3, 2012, 09:03 PM   #6
zippy13

I thought this was rated GP.
AAARRRGGGHHH!