The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 5, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
Chavo

Hunter Safety System

Not sure this is the right section anyhow here goes.
I've been hunting for years without them, been in some questionable stands too.

I finished the states hunters ed coarse this weekend just so I could hunt with my brother in law down at the base. It had a whole section on tree stand safety. It got me thinking if I'm not nervous the whole time I may have a better hunt. Plus I have a son now who I would like to come home to. Have you guys ever used any of the harnesses out there? I was looking on amazon but is it just the harness or does it come with everything? Season comes in next week and if I'm going to get it here by then I need to order it now. Maybe I would be better off going to a sporting goods stores. just seems like you can find allot better deals online.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
highvel

I use them and like how they fit, the buckles work a lot better than the old thread thru design IMHO, the pro system is pretty expensive though!
They have everything you need not to make a unexpected speedy descent. Just remember to hook up to the tree!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 6, 2011, 10:34 AM   #3
Nathan

I hate harnesses, but HSS has been easy for me to use.
Old November 6, 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Chavo

i hate them too well never used them actually but why not use one?
Old November 6, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Pahoo

Hard to fight, "in the name of Love or Safety"

I use to make my own stands, many years ago and one cold day, +5 DegF., while climbing onto one, I asked myself; "How old are you? Climbed back down and hunted out of my ground blind. The last time I was in a stand, I used one like these that were later found to be unsafe. Every year each state documents deer stand accidents and there too many hunters who have been found dead, at the base of their trees. I personally do not care for them but they do save lives and that's a fact. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old November 6, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Nathan

Quote:
....I personally do not care for them but they do save lives and that's a fact. .....
Can't argue with that, especially when you climb to 20 ft. I built a better tree strap system from climbing rope. Works well and is more adjustable. Now I need to build something for climbing back into the stand!
Old November 6, 2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Chavo

I'm going to go to a sports good store today. I need to know if it comes with everything or if I have to buy more.
Old November 6, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
Pahoo

Good idea

Chavo
Just make sure it's not one that had a previous recall. I wish I could remember that make a model. By now, they should all meet a safety standard. Perhaps you could even google it. ...

be Safe !!!
Old November 6, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
highvel

The HSS Pro comes with the harness, tree strap, a secondary tree strap.
Everything you need to climb because you have a lineman's configuration to use while climbing and then switch over when you get situated to a safety harness with shock absorbing strap.
Oh and a video to explain how to use it!
I accidentally tested mine years ago and am sure glad I had it on, I don't know if I would have bounced well from about 25 feet and I wont climb without one anymore

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old November 6, 2011, 06:18 PM   #10
GURU1911

Falls from elevated locations

I RETIRED FROM A 32 YEAR CAREER AS A PROFESSIONAL SAFETY, HEALTH, & HYGIENE ENGINEER. TAUGHT THOUSANDS OF WORKERS FROM COAST TO COAST TO VOID THE "BIG FALL" AT ALL COSTS.

THE HUMAN BODY WILL ALWAYS ATTEMPT TO FALL HEAD-FIRST. TOTAL FALL DISTANCE IS MEASURED FROM THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD, NOT THE SOLES OF YOUR FEET. IMPACT WITH THE GROUND OR CONCRETE IS MEASURED IN "POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH"---FROM 10' OFF THE GROUND, A 200 POUND PERSON WILL IMPACT WITH APPROXIMATELY 2000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH.

QUESTION: THINK YOUR HEAD & NECK CAN HANDLE THAT MUCH FORCE, MR. "I DON'T NEED NO STINKING FALL HARNESS" !!!! PROMISE YOU WILL DIE, BE A VEG, OR A QUAD-PARA FOR THE REMAINDER OF YOUR LIFE.

WITHOUT GETTING INTO A LOT OF HEAVY MATH & PHYSICS, HERE IS A QUICK & EASY FORMULA TO REMEMBER: 'BODY WEIGHT x TOTAL FALL DISTANCE = YOUR SPLAT FACTOR IN POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH.

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old November 6, 2011, 06:43 PM   #11
Chavo

well none of the local sporting good stores carried them, apparently their only for "*****" as my buddies say.
Old November 6, 2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Chavo

high do you have a link,? I would like to get it here before saturday so I can get it all adjusted
Old November 6, 2011, 07:42 PM   #13
highvel

Bass Pro,Gander Mountain and Dicks all carry them.

Old November 6, 2011, 08:19 PM   #14
Chavo

maybe I'll leave early for work tomorrow
Old November 6, 2011, 08:28 PM   #15
Chavo

I'm 5'10 185-190 what size you think I would need?
Old November 6, 2011, 11:35 PM   #16
highvel

It tells you on the box.

Old November 7, 2011, 06:48 PM   #17
Doyle

I've got one. I wish I had spent the extra money and gotten the reversible one so I could use it on WMAs that require orange. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is hot during archery season. Since I bought it, another brand came out that also uses buckles but doesn't have the vest. That type would be a little cooler.
Old November 8, 2011, 10:40 PM   #18
lefteye

I use the HSS Ultra Lite Safety Harness. It is comfortable, very easy to put on, and has terrific leg/hip straps with strong, easy, steel buckles. I've been using a safety harness for over 20 years and will not hunt from a tree stand without one. The HSS vest systems use the same basic harness and buckles. There are other good brands available, e.g., Gorilla, Muddy and Summit. I tried a Summit - it was very good and comfortable, but I didn't like the paratrooper type buckles.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:04 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Never climb a tree without a harness. It's simple. If you do, you're a fool. We've all been foolish before, the key is to *stop* being foolish.

The HSS harnesses work just dandy. I don't like the tree strap itself so I use the one that came with my Lone Wolf stand. However, I much prefer the HSS vest to the Lone Wolf tangled up pile of straps and buckles. So, it's the HSS vest with the LW tree strap.

I think I paid $79 for my HSS. Cheap way to insure that I get home to my wife and kids.

Climb 25-30 feet up a tree and have your stand slip just a few inches... then tell me you don't feel the need for safety straps!
Old November 9, 2011, 06:01 PM   #20
plumbercrack

I'm not sure of the cost but would a standard safety harness from a construction site work? Not being a specialty item and available probably at Home Depot might save you some money.
Old November 9, 2011, 08:00 PM   #21
Cowboy_mo

I have 2 of the "full body harness" which come with the purchase of a good tree stand and one of the HSS "vest harness". I really like the leg buckles on the vest system because they are easy to buckle (like the seat belt in your car) but the harness systems are lighter although a bit more difficult to put on and buckle. So, I use the harness systems in warmer weather when bow hunting and the vest system when the temps cool.

I used to climb grain bins for a living and I can tell you that "this old boy" ain't leaving the ground without a safety system.

Guru's description of fall impact and the resulting injuries is absolutely SPOT ON!!!!!!!!
Old November 10, 2011, 01:08 AM   #22
Chavo

left eye I picked the one up you were talking about today for 89.99. Haven't had a chance to get it out of the package yet.
Old November 10, 2011, 01:45 AM   #23
bamaranger

HSS vest

I have one and absolutely can recommend it. Mine's the pro I guess, mesh vest, etc. I climb high, and am a big guy, and a fall would be very bad news.

I went for years w/ just a belt, now I know better.
All loose harness systems were a hassle. The HSS is a breeze on and off, and even all snapped up, no trouble to walk with.

The pockets are great for all accessories. I also keep a phone(shamefully) a whistle, light and superknife in the pockets.

If I cannot recover to the stand, the phone is my lifeline.
Old November 10, 2011, 03:54 PM   #24
Elkins45

I actually watched the DVD that came with my ladder stand and I learned something I hadn't thought of. They recommended keeping a couple of screw in tree steps in the vest pocket so you can use them to help you climb back into the tree. That seems like very sound advice to me.
Old November 10, 2011, 09:29 PM   #25
plumbercrack

I checked Home Depot and their harness, like a parachute harness runs around $80.00. It is osha approved and is the same one we wear for construction.