The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Z400ACDC

Wanted, good binoculars, under $100

I like to watch the critters in the woods from my deck. Thanks for any help!
Old January 23, 2009, 10:19 PM   #2
DoctorXring

$100 binoculars

You won't feel bad about having these --

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-12x25-travelite.html

dxr

Old January 23, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
CW-NH-HUNTER

I would recomend the nikon pro staff series they are water proof and fog proof for just alittle more money than the travel lite series. They are one of the best sellers at the Kittery Trading post where I work.
Old January 23, 2009, 11:24 PM   #4
unlearned69

Take a look at the Leupold Yosemites or one of the Leupold inverted porro compacts. I have a pair of the latter that I bought for $50 with a bird watching book as a backup pair, and they are pretty nice. I have looked throughthe Yosemites, and they were quite clear as well.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
jbrown

I got a small leupold 10x25 packaged with a leupold knife for $79 or $89 last fall.Best binos I have ever owned.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:39 AM   #6
skoro

Good binos

I'll make a sugestion that might be off base, but I've been using binos for a couple of decades, so I'm kinda set in my ways.

If you'd be willing to consider a non-compact bino, this one is a very good instrument for the price.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-7x...lars-7217.html

Even though it's large, it has some good advantages. The 7x magnification gives you two advantages for critter watching: 1) a wider field of view and 2) a far less "shaky" image. The unfortunate truth is that as magnification increases, your ability to hold the binos steady enough for a good view decreases.

These 7x50s have the additional advantage of being excellent night glasses for skygazing if that interests you at all.

Finally, a couple of things to look for no matter which binos you decide on:

BAK4 prisms - these dramatically improve the viewing over their less expensive BK7 cousins.

Fully mulicoated lenses - good quality coatings are super important in getting a clear image free of abberation.

Good hunting!
Old January 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
sholling

Since you'll be viewing from your deck size shouldn't be a problem. That's a good thing because it costs a lot more to produce decent roof prism binoculars. I'd look for some good porro prism binoculars to maximize bang for the buck. I think something like the Nikon 8x40 Action Extreme ATB would be a great choice given the budget. Call Eagle Optics and let them help you find the right one for you. They're incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.
Old January 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #8
Sodbuster

skoro has good points. Holding 12x binocs steady is difficult without a support. Narrow field of view. Also, 12x25 gives an exit pupil that is conducive to daylight viewing, not the best for twilight. If you can support (small tripod e.g.) 12x binocs on your deck, no problem. 10x is considered by many to be the most magnification that can be handheld without too much shaking. If you want to view at dusk/dawn, consider 7x35, 7x50, 8x42, 10x50. Then look for binocs in your price range.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old January 24, 2009, 12:29 PM   #9
citizen

....allow me to suggest a site with a wide selection where I have purchased:
www.binoculars.com
Life is too short for dial-up
Old January 24, 2009, 12:35 PM   #10
fisherman66

Leupold Yosemites, I prefer the 6x. Best buy in bins bar none.
Old January 26, 2009, 03:47 PM   #11
TheOldPro

I bought my wife a pair of Pentax roof-prism binoculars for under $100, in the 8X42 variety, and she loves them. I sneak them out to the deer blind as often as I can, and so far as I am concerned, they are very clear, and have a locking focus, too. Her's aren't waterproof, but the ones I bought my son are, for about the same price, and it has changed his outlook on deer hunting...he can hunt until the last second now. If you are interested, I can give you the exact model number on hers, not his (they aren't here). But for my money, these are excellent, and I have had no problem in the 3 years we have owned hers.
Having said that, I have a pair of Bausch and Lomb Legacy binoculars in the 7X35 variety, and I have never seen any clearer lenses. These are old, bought on eBay, and the porro-prism type. If they were higher power, I would never carry anything else into the woods.
Old January 30, 2009, 04:51 AM   #12
black bear 84

I agree with fisherman66,
Leupold Yosemite in 6X

e-mail [email protected]