The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2006, 07:41 AM   #1
rangermonroe

Marlin Camp 9 buffer disintigration

While shooting the other day, the white plastic buffer shattered and jammed the bolt.

It turned into a rubbery goo, not unlike improperly cured epoxy. It looked like yellow cottage cheese.

What would cause this? I have not cleaned the gun with some exotic compound that one could assume might cause degridation of polymers.

On the plus side, I called Marlin, and after they offered to sell me one, they agreed mail me one free of charge.

It is nice dealing with a professional company who stands behind its products.

Last edited by rangermonroe; May 8, 2006 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 8, 2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

buffer

Dear Sir:
I also like Marlins, far better than Winchester!
But, all recoil buffers will and do discintigrate, 45 - 1911s' - I NEVER put a buffer in! Combat is the wrong place for a broken buffer to tie your pistol up.

That camp carbine is a sweet gun!

Harry B.
Old May 9, 2006, 09:11 AM   #3
rangermonroe

It came from the factory with this buffer.

As it is a straight blowback operation, I am afraid that firing it without said buffer would significantly reduce the lifespan of the receiver.

I was considering installing a stout spring in the place of the buffer. WE shall see.
Old May 9, 2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Ledbetter

Storing the gun barrel-up makes any oil go into the back of the receiver where the buffer is. You should keep the buffer fresh, not rock hard or crumbly. The stock is susceptible to cracking behind the receiver when the buffer has disintegrated. The bolt of this gun weighs about a pound. You might as well replace the recoil spring while you're at it, and make sure the spring guide rod is straight.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old May 9, 2006, 04:41 PM   #5
rangermonroe

Thanks
Old May 10, 2006, 05:00 PM   #6
Scorch

This must be a common problem. There was another thread started just the other day on the same thing.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:24 PM   #7
Witherspoon

I don't have the 9mm but I do have the .45ACP. 185gr factory loads broke every buff I put in it, both the ones from Marlin and the stouter ones from Wisner's. http://www.wisnersinc.com/rifles/marlin/auto.htm

I put in a new 16.5lb Wolff recoil spring and they continued to break. I then installed the Wolff 21lb spring. No more buff breakage, although it is a little stiff pulling the bolt rearward.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8
rangermonroe

I was thinking of putting a spring between the buffer and the bolt, with a little t-shaped insert, ala m-16 buffer.

All in all I think that this is the most pathetically designed firearm that I own, but I still like it...damn bullets go where I look.

I think I need a forward grip and an A.C.O.G., and a flashlight too!

Seriously, though, I think I may tinker with a little buffer for this thing...I surely couldn't hurt something that breaks after 500...or could I?

I do so wish it was legal for me to focus my destructive/creative tendencies into making a camp carbine belt fed FA

Damn sissies.
Old June 12, 2006, 08:59 PM   #9
HaNagmashdriver

Question on Camp 9 springs/buffers

Hey guys, I have a question that I hope one or some of you can help me answer. I've got a Camp 9, have it for several years and it's a keeper. It shoots everything with aplomb, including 9mm Parabellum from 1943, British production obviously for the STEn and the Hi-Power. Knowing this, I bought a whole bunch of IMI ammo made for the Uzi, of course. In the Marlin, I experienced ignition in about one in ten rounds. My Inglis Hi-Power ate up ALL the Uzi stuff INCLUDING the rounds where the Marlin had already struck the primer!
I emailed Wolf Gunsprings asking their opinion, and they were friendly enough, but avoided all my questions!!! They sell two recoil springs, but they didn't make any effort to suggest whether this would be good for my ignition problems. I would think that a stronger hammer strut spring or a firing pin spring would be part of the solution. What say you??
Old June 12, 2006, 09:27 PM   #10
Lost River

I do not mean to hijack the thread and if folks think I am, I will open another, couple of questions:

I bought a used camp 9 last year and have put a whopping one mag hrough it. Not being familiar with the design,

How do I field strip it?

Are buffers recommended?

Are their any problems (besides cracking stocks) inherent in the design?

What is the general opinion of the gun?

I really do not have much use for the thing, but I bought 4 of them and sold 3 and ended up with a "free" one.
Old June 12, 2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Lost River

Oh yeah, I forgot to add,

Are there any websites for decent aftermarket parts, like better sights and camp carbine specific goodies?
Old June 12, 2006, 11:27 PM   #12
joneb

I have a Camp .45 the accuracy is awesome, the design is not. Takeing this gun apart is tough, putting it back to gether is a nightmare. For me it's a love hate relationship.
I had a cheap scope on this gun and it lasted for thirty rounds, after the sight in it shot near same hole groups at 50 yrds w/ Nosler 185 jhp and 7.4 grn of Unique and then chards of glass chips filled the field of view.
Old June 13, 2006, 08:36 AM   #13
rangermonroe

Not hijaked at all....

I had my question answered and am quite done with the buffer.

IMO, this gun has a terrible design. That being said, I like my gun. I just hate to dissasemble it for cleaning.

You first remove the bottom screw, and then remove the barreled upper.
There are two cross pins which hold the lower trigger assy to the receiver.

They seem to be identical and interchangeable. They are not captured, so they need to be set aside. At this time, also remove the bolt hold open device. Be careful not to damage the tiny spring beneath it.

Turning the gun over, so you can see the magazine side of the bolt, retract said bolt a little and lift "up" on the handle with a twisting motion. This make a little space between the bolt and receiver. You will remove the bolt handle through the ejection port. You should be able to lift out the bolt and buffer spring...chamber end first.

This is all pretty simple, it is the reassembly that is a PITA.

Bolt/spring/guide rod go in reverse of removal.

The bolt hold open device (BHOD) needs to be aligned perfectly with the hole in the front of the receiver where the cross pin will catch it. If you try to slide it forward, it will bend the whisker thin spring.

Also a t this time, you will notice that the feed ramp is spring loaded and can be folded "down" into the magazine well. You should do this now.

The lower unit, trigger housing, will nest the BHOD, with the front cross pin passing through the side of the receiver first, through the BHOD, and the trigger group.

All three holes must be aligned.

The feed ramp will snap back into place when you put a magazine in with the bolt to the rear.
Old June 13, 2006, 08:50 AM   #14
mete

For the "no buffers in combat pistols" . Buffers don't 'suddenly disintegrate' they do it bit by bit. It's one of the things you check during your normal inspection/cleaning. Some , like the Star PD had a life of 500 rounds [but the info wasn't in the owners manual !!!]