The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2014, 10:36 AM   #1
michael_1105

Browning Auto-5 info/value?

Hey guys,

I am recently new to this group. Any help is greatly appreciated. I recently purchased what I think is a Browning Auto-5. The overall length of the gun is 49". On the top of the barrel it reads "BROWNING ARMS COMPANY OGDEN UTAH." The barrel also reads "FULL 12 SPECIAL STEAL, 18.4 CHOKE 18.3, and MADE IN BELGIUM." The SN is 206XXX. Can anyone tell me more about this gun? As well, it is not for sale but is there any kind of way of telling what it would be worth? I just want to see where I came in at and if I over paid. I would probably grade the shotgun at a 7/10 condition wise.

Old May 18, 2014, 10:40 AM   #2
michael_1105

One more pic

Old May 18, 2014, 01:12 PM   #3
PetahW

You have a pre-war (WWII) Grade 1 Browning Auto-5 (A-5), made in 1938, with what appears to be an Improved Cylinder choke, according to the 18.4/18.3 stamps.

I'd put the apparent condition closer to 85%-90% than 70%.

The best way to ascertain it's current true value would be to surf recent/only sold/closed ("asking" prices are not a value) gun auction websites, for another like A5 in like condition, to find out exactly how much John Q.Public has been recently willing to actually pay for one.

Old May 18, 2014, 02:08 PM   #4
michael_1105

Browning

Is the Improved Cylinder choke a stock feature on this gun or do you think it was replaced over the years? I just want to make sure the gun is still all original. And thanks for giving me a second opinion on the condition, I now I was trying to grade it kind of hard but I appreciate that.
Old May 18, 2014, 03:08 PM   #5
Virginian

It is not a collector grade, but should make a decent shooter if you are a Browning fan. It has the old style safety and a non vent rib barrel when you go to check values. The choke is original to that barrel. I thought they used to put the gun's serial number, or at least the last few digits, on the barrel and trigger group back then, so if they match it would be original except for any parts that have been replaced.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:25 PM   #6
BigJimP

In my area, the retail value is probably $250 - $ 350.../ but values on Auto 5's seem to vary a lot around the country....

Fixed choke guns are not in high demand these days...but an IC choke makes it reasonably versatile....its a little tighter than a Skeet choke but it might be ok for Skeet/ its a little looser than a Mod which is what most people would shoot Trap singles with, so its not ideal for Trap...as an upland bird gun, they're pretty heavy, but its ok.
Old May 18, 2014, 06:26 PM   #7
michael_1105

Thanks

Thanks. I appreciate all that info. If anyone else can contribute any more info it would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 20, 2014, 03:08 PM   #8
BillyJack3

$250 - $350 sounds really low to me. I'm certainly no expert though.
Old May 20, 2014, 05:57 PM   #9
BigJimP

I'm no expert on the market for used shotguns....but I rely on a buddy in my area that owns a gunshop / and they deal in a lot of used shotguns ...( from field grade to Over Unders over $5K) and he's told me on more than one occasion / if he has 3 or 4 of the fixed choke auto 5's - its all he'll buy, because they sit around for months ....so he turns a lot of them away / and as a wholesaler he only pays $ 125 to $ 150 for them, so he can resell them and make a few bucks....unless they're really unique.....

and he says he's lucky to get $ 250 - $350 out of them with fixed chokes.

Often he takes less than that - just to get rid of them.
--------------
I see a lot of them for sale at local gun shows for $ 400 - $600...but I rarely see anyone buying them - and if they do, I know they have to discount them. I have one in the back of my safe, its a family gun, but I haven't fired it in 10 yrs or so...( and I have lots of Over Unders and some other semi's, that get shot every week ). The Auto 5's are nostalgic ....but they just are not great shotguns for most uses today.
-------------
If you want a very serviceable Browning Semi-Auto....the Browning Silver hunter, with screw in chokes, 30" barrel ( 3" chamber) lists for $ 1,180 ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=011&tid=350

....but they sell new in the box, in my area for around $ 900.....and its new technology.../ good active vale gas system...good entry level gun for the money...for a kid or a new shooter especially ( I'm picking up a couple of them this year as graduation gifts - for a couple of the grandkids).
Old May 22, 2014, 07:29 AM   #10
michael_1105

Understand

I understand that these have an array of different values based on where your at. I can only speak for myself but plan on shooting it a couple of times and will be putting it up. I have a Stoeger M3500 that I shoot on the regular and have never had any problems with that one.
Old May 22, 2014, 02:57 PM   #11
BigJimP

I would suggest you learn how to fully strip the gun down ( remove the trigger group, etc )....and make sure its clean and properly lubed...put it back together of course....before you take it out to shoot it.

If kept clean - and properly cared for ....the Auto 5's will provide reliable operation.../....but if they are not kept clean and properly lubed -- ( they, and most semi-autos), --- will be "jam-o-matics"....with all kinds of issues.

Make sure you check the chamber length on the gun - I can't see all the marks in your photos - but it may be marked in mm's so be careful / because some of the older Auto 5's had 2 1/2" chambers in them or ( 2 9/16" actually )....and a shotshell is measured at its fired length ...so if the chambers in that gun are 2 9/16" then you cannot safely fire a 2 3/4" shell in it. If you're not sure - take it to a good local gunsmith and let them check it.

Last edited by BigJimP; May 22, 2014 at 03:07 PM.

Tags
auto 5 , browning , browning auto 5 , shot gun , shot guns