The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2013, 08:49 AM   #1
slammedsi

257 Weatherby and RL22 help.. again

I think I have asked this question before but couldnt find it using the search.

I have been loading 67gr of rl22 behind a 120gr swift a frame for over a year and shot many of them in that time frame. It makes a 3 shot group under a half inch @ 100 yards. While going back through my notes I found where I wrote that load dataa down. But I couldnt find published data showing it. I found on aliants web page a load of 63grs for a fps of 3100. Can anyone help me with published data? Im starting to think I might be over max at 67gr.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:41 AM   #2
hooligan1

Slamms listen If your unsure about a loading, just start over, and if your sure about your loading and it's written, and you've been shooting it for awhile, what's the problem?
In my loading I use labels to tell me what the five cartridges in the bag are, when I shoot the load I stick that label on the target, when I get home I study everything about the load, (including range notes, like excessive pressure, weird shot noise, hard bolt lift, etc.) then I work from there, I find something I might want to further work on, if not the target and the data go to the trash, and I start the further work-up on the keeper data.
Only after I prove a load to be the best for what I'm wanting will it get written into my black book, and I call this load " The One".
It works for me, although sometimes I can't remember what data I have tried, ( "ole-timers") but if it's written, then I confidently load multiple boxes and practice.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:45 PM   #3
slammedsi

I have 7 loaded left from the box of 100 that i loaded. So i have shot 93 of them. After finding the load data I wrote down in my book similar to the way you do it. I went ahead and measured each coal, then pulled each bullet and weighed each charge. All of them where right at 67gr. There has never been any sign of over preasure of any kind. My only concer is I always use published load data and never experiment. I cant find any published data stating this load. Thats the only reason I am worried about being over.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:11 PM   #4
hooligan1

Well, if your sure it's RL 22, and you've shot 93 rnds and like the performance, then what's the problem?
Old January 19, 2013, 08:06 PM   #5
slammedsi

Haha no problem I guess. Just over thinking things.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:59 AM   #6
243winxb

257 Weatherby-RL22

RL-22 From 51.8 grains to 70.4 grains - 117 to 120 gr bullets. From Steve's generic loading data. http://www.stevespages.com/page8a.htm 18.6 gr difference from starting to maximum. Proof that Different Components = Different Pressure. Start low and work up as always. Here is a good read, check out the photos. http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...27#post4928827
Old January 21, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
slammedsi

243, thanks for the information. That is a site I will keep in my fav list.
Old January 22, 2013, 10:39 AM   #8
William T. Watts

There is no easy answer for your question, no data I saw listed your bullet and your powder spot on. Safest is to contact Swift for their load data for your specific chambering with the powders they used to develope THEIR LOAD DATA. If you can't find published load data using the Swift A frame bullet and Alliant 22 powder I wouldn't pick a number out of the air.. The generic steves page info is what it is, I wouldn't trust a 18gr min to max charge, think about it!! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; January 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:52 PM   #9
reynolds357

If its working, its working. When Rl22 first came out, many people joked that the data for it was "as much as you can pack into a case." With my experience with it, that aint too far from being true with all but the largest cartridges shooting the heaviest bullets. The published data on Weatherby cartridges today is insanely conservative.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:34 AM   #10
shootniron

This is a good link...post your question and see what kind of feedback you get.

Weatherby Forums .257mag