The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 3, 2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Is The S&W Model 41 Worth It...

...or is there something that compares for the same or less money?

I got a little Christmas money and was thinking about buying a 1/2 ounce Gold Eagle or another firearm (like I need one). I've thought about the 41 in the past but never had the money when one was available. I almost bought a S&W 17-2 Monday for $599, but I just can't bring myself to give this shop any of my money.

So, is there any other .22lr semi-auto out there that compares with the 41 for about the same money or even less or is the 41 the best in it's class.?
Old January 3, 2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Pahoo

They surely are !!!

Used or new and if you can swing the money, they are worth it. I should warn you though, as they will spoil you for any other. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Hal

Hamden or Hartford made High Standard....

You just can't say enough good things about a trigger that's measured in grams, not pounds..

41's are nice guns - that goes w/out saying. I never warmed up to the feel of one though. I just don't like the way they heft - but - that's only me.
I've passed on buying a few of them over the years, for some really excellent prices - $550 to $$750 for used ones in like new condition - and have zero regrets.
I'm sure they went to good homes and their new owners probably loved them to death...
Old January 3, 2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Blue Duck

I bought one new back in about 1982 and shot it in competition and fun for about 15 yrs. I finally sold it to fund part of the cost for a Wilson Combat 1911.

I don't regret buying the Wilson Combat 1911, but I sure do regret selling my 41.
I had the 7 inch barrel model and I had two barrels for it, one scoped. It was the best .22 pistol I ever owned, accuracy wise, and every other way. They are very reliable, at least mine was, and so easy to break down for cleaning, or changing barrels, plus the magazines are easier to load then just about all of it's competition.

I have shot one for many thousands of rounds, and won and or placed in my fair share of shooting matches with it. I would rather own one 41 then 3 Rugers, or any other .22 pistol that I know of that sells for under a thousand dollars. They are simply the best design I ever used.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:04 AM   #5
RC20

If you can swing the money and the feel suits you there is nothing in its class.

Used ones are as good and maybe better than new ones. 60s and 70s era for sure.

Trigger is like glass and its a sweet incredibly accurate shooter
Old January 4, 2013, 12:46 AM   #6
DaleA

I remember being in a league shooting 50 foot bullseye targets. After a little experience I shot in the low 80's. A guy I got to know usually shot in the high 90's with his S&W Model 41. We switched guns for fun and I shot low 90's and he shot high 80's. The guy was clearly about 10 points better than me but I picked up 8 or 9 points by switching to his model 41.
Old January 4, 2013, 11:23 AM   #7
PetahW

FWIW, S&W Model 41's have long been the Gold Standard in Bullseye target autos - there is NONE comparable, and say that because I've owned Browning Medalist's, High Standard's, and medium grade Hammerli's, besides Model 41's.

That said, the Gold Eagle is most likely a better investment, as much as I prefer guns.

Old January 4, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8
Sid

I have had one for 50 years and there is nothing else like it. Buy it and believe me you will never regret it. One little piece of advice. S&W recommends that as far as ammunition goes, you should only use CCI Standard for this pistol. I got this directly from their gunsmith who told me that he had 40 years of experience on the Model 41. He also owns one and shoots it regularly.
Old January 4, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
BigJimP

Model 41's are certainly nice guns...but there are a lot of nice guns out there especially in the used market, like the older High Standards....or Hammerli ...or many others...

In terms of just good well built .22's ....for the money its also hard to beat some of the Browning Buckmark models....and you can dress them up with Tactical Solutions options - and red dot sights or whatever you want....and probably have as much fun with them as you would the model 41....

http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/tr...ck-mark-pistol

But it comes down to what you want...what you want to shoot....

Look at some of this guys guns ...for rimfire ..if you haven't seen his stuff before.....

http://larrysguns.com/
Old January 4, 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
dgludwig

Quote:
I would rather own one 41 then 3 Rugers, or any other .22 pistol that I know of that sells for under a thousand dollars. They are simply the best design I ever used.
Quote:
FWIW, S&W Model 41's have long been the Gold Standard in Bullseye target autos - there is NONE comparable,
Quote:
I have had one for 50 years and there is nothing else like it. Buy it and believe me you will never regret it.
Quote:
I picked up 8 or 9 points by switching to his model 41.
Quote:
If you can swing the money and the feel suits you there is nothing in its class.
These gentlemen know what they're talking about. I'm a long time Bullseye competitor and I can affirm what they're saying: the Model 41 is in a class by itself when it comes to a finely made, superbly accurate pistol. And, if you ever decide you don't want it anymore (a very unlikely circumstance imo), you will always be able to get your money back and then some.
Old January 4, 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Leejack

It's all a matter of money.

If you can afford it, sure it's worth it.
Old January 4, 2013, 07:38 PM   #12
bn12gg

If I had to choose between a new S/W 41 and a classic Browning Medalist base pistol 1962 - 1974, I'd go Medalist in a heartbeat. I have friends who have suffered with the new 41's. That said, I'd like to find a late 50's 41 in nice shape for good money-- I'm always looking. Just trying to stir the pot!

David
Old January 4, 2013, 09:36 PM   #13
RC20

I have heard the new 41s have had some function problems that did not seem to occur back in the day.

That said, while not a 41, I did send a gun back to Smith a while back and it came back working like a swiss watch.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:52 PM   #14
erob3

I currently own an OLDER Model 41 along with several High Standards along with a couple of Ruger SS Competition Target MKII's. Out of all of them the High Standards are the BEST trigger hands down. The S&W breaks very clean but the HS triggers are incredible. I have polished the stock sear on my Rugers and added a Volquartsen adjustable trigger but it still does not compare with either the Model 41 or any of my HS. With that said - get ready for this- my Ruger out shoots them all. Why? I truly believe it is due to the red dot scope I have on it, not to mention the Ruger is a fine pistol. I am simply not willing to risk putting a rail and scope on either my Model 41 or my HS. My Model 41 woud have to be drilled and tapped to accomodate a rail, absolutely not!! Out of my High Standard's only my Victor models have factory pre-drilled holes but I have not made the decision to put a rail on one of them yet so I could put a red dot on one of them. If I ever do I have no doubt it would be magical. So if I were to compare apples to apples, scope to scope, trigger to trigger, the High Standards come in first, Model 41 second, Ruger third. But that is a close race. Good Luck. I hope that helps.

P.S. - If you want to shoot really nice groups I second the previously mentioned ammo - CCI Standard Velocity. For the money you can't beat it.
Old January 5, 2013, 01:38 PM   #15
RC20

You can get an aftermarket barrel with the right setup to mount the red dot and still have the original 41 setup.

I understand some need to be sent back to S&W for fitting due to the tight tolerances

Quote:
I currently own an OLDER Model 41 along with several High Standards along with a couple of Ruger SS Competition Target MKII's. Out of all of them the High Standards are the BEST trigger hands down. The S&W breaks very clean but the HS triggers are incredible. I have polished the stock sear on my Rugers and added a Volquartsen adjustable trigger but it still does not compare with either the Model 41 or any of my HS. With that said - get ready for this- my Ruger out shoots them all. Why? I truly believe it is due to the red dot scope I have on it, not to mention the Ruger is a fine pistol. I am simply not willing to risk putting a rail and scope on either my Model 41 or my HS. My Model 41 woud have to be drilled and tapped to accomodate a rail, absolutely not!! Out of my High Standard's only my Victor models have factory pre-drilled holes but I have not made the decision to put a rail on one of them yet so I could put a red dot on one of them. If I ever do I have no doubt it would be magical. So if I were to compare apples to apples, scope to scope, trigger to trigger, the High Standards come in first, Model 41 second, Ruger third. But that is a close race. Good Luck. I hope that helps.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:27 PM   #16
Zhillsauditor

My first gun was, to my regret, a ruger 22/45. After 3 months, I sold it, saved up some money, and found a used S&W model 41. I have never regretted buying the 41. Since that time, I have bought and sold many, many 22s, both revolvers and autos, but none has been as satisfying as the 41.

Last year, I bought a new 7" barrel and mounted a scope on it. Mine runs like a swiss watch on federal automatch, CCI, or Eley. It does not do well with any hollow point.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Rembrandt

Only thing better than a 41......is having multiple 41's.

Old January 5, 2013, 06:43 PM   #18
whippoorwill

41s look and feel great. Just keep one thing in mind... which you no doubt already know... they are not a "magic pill" for accuracy. I belive many 41s have probably been sold when the owner didn't immediately start shooting one ragged hole. You will have to practice, practice, practice. Even with a Model 41.