The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Bill Akins

20 & 30 shot BP cartridge revolvers you won't believe.

Thought y'all might like to see this. They are rarely seen but high capacity BP Victorian era revolvers predated high cap semi's by many decades.

Note, all these are dual barrels and each barrel would alternate firing between the outside edge of the cylinder and the inside of the cylinder. Top barrel fires, next round the bottom barrel fires, then the top again, etc.

Two 20 round BP cartridge revolvers below.

As you can see by the cuts on the chambers, this one is a pinfire cartridge.

Folding trigger 20 rounder.

A double action top break 20 rounder.

Dual firing pins for the outer of the cylinder and the inner of the cylinder.

Continued next post due to 6 pics per post limitation.....

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 14, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Bill Akins

20 and 30 round revolvers, continued from previous post....

20 round cylinder.

Showing action open on above 20 rd revolver.

30 round revolver front of cylinder.

Note twin barrels on 30 rd revolver.

Right side of 30 rounder.

Behind the loading gate of 30 rounder.

Continued next post due to 6 pics per post limit....

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 14, 2011, 03:12 AM   #3
Bill Akins

20 and 30 round revolvers continued from previous post....

30 round revolver dual barrels muzzle end and ejector view.

30 rounder cylinder front.

A different 30 rounder's loading gate view. Looks to be a pinfire or teatfire cartridge. Mighty thin cylinder walls.

30 round revolver's exposed external mechanism. (This is so cool)

Various CAD renditions of that exposed external mechanism 30 round revolver.

Continued next post due to 6 pics per post limit....

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 14, 2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old February 14, 2011, 03:22 AM   #4
Bill Akins

20 and 30 round revolvers, continued from previous post....

More CAD renditions of the exposed, external mechanism, 30 rounder.

Now for some colored in CAD renditions of the same exposed, external mechanism 30 round revolver. However, look closely and instead of the pinfire or teatfire on the real revolver, this CAD rendition shows centerfire cartridges for the revolver. Artistic license? Lol.

Imagine carrying this fat 30 rd cylinder in your holster.

Nicely done CAD colored rendition of the 30 rounder. Almost photo realistic.

Continued next post due to 6 pics per post limit...

Old February 14, 2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Bill Akins

20 and 30 round revolvers, continued from previous post.

With its exposed, external mechanism making it more susceptible to mud than a dirty jamomatic Luger, this 30 rd revolver wouldn't really have had any viable military application. Still though, one heck of a high capacity hogleg if you aren't in the dirt of trenches. I wouldn't mind having one....just because .

Heres more pics of that 20 rounder I showed you earlier.

20 rounder.

Cylinder face of 20 rounder.

They were the hi-caps of their day. The end.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 14, 2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:46 AM   #6
Kadmos

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Good thing they did a folding trigger on that first one..otherwise it might be a tad unwieldy.
Old February 14, 2011, 07:36 AM   #7
Bill Akins

Quote:
Kadmos wrote:
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.
My pleasure.

Quote:
Kadmos wrote:
Good thing they did a folding trigger on that first one..otherwise it might be a tad unwieldy.
Lol, cracked me up with that one Kadmos.

Old February 14, 2011, 09:20 AM   #8
sewerman

thanx for another very interesting walk thru history.

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old February 14, 2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Jim Watson

So THAT'S what they use in western movies.
Old February 14, 2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Bill Akins

Quote:
Sewerman wrote:
thanx for another very interesting walk thru history.
My pleasure Sewerman.

Old February 14, 2011, 04:09 PM   #11
Bill Akins

Quote:
Jim Watson wrote:
So THAT'S what they use in western movies.
Lol, yep. Like you said, that explains how they shot so many movie rounds without reloading. And all this time we thought they were using six shooters.

Old February 14, 2011, 08:49 PM   #12
ironmace

Imagine how long it took to load that? lol, Great stuff, thanks for posting it.
Old February 14, 2011, 09:04 PM   #13
Hawg

Think they have one of those 20 shots in the museum at Kennesaw Ga. I saw one somewhere anyway.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:04 AM   #14
Raider2000

You'd need a back pack to carry it because it looks to weigh a ton especially loaded.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:07 AM   #15
B. Lahey

Has anyone here had an opportunity to fire one of the critters?

If so, did the pistol seem to be a functional and usable device, aside from the obvious large size and possible weird balance?
Old February 16, 2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Foto Joe

It's a good thing they're cartridge guns...A chain fire would do more than ruin your day with one of those.
Old February 19, 2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Gatofeo

There's an interesting chapter on these large-capacity revolvers in the book, "Firearms Curiosa" by Lewis Winant, copyright 1955.
It's a wonder one of these hasn't shown up in a recent movie, with whale-oil lamp projection sights and loaded alternately with incendiary, silver and explosive bullets!
Very nice revolver. Would be interesting to shoot. Wonder how far apart those superposed barrels print bullets at 25 yards?
Old February 19, 2011, 07:35 PM   #18
Ozzieman

WOW!
One question, Have you ever fired one of them?
Old September 25, 2011, 01:14 AM   #19
railfancwb

One of the thirty round revolvers looks as though the cylinder is rotated by some style of zig zag motion.