The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2002, 04:44 PM   #1
gipper

buying the superX2 or 11-87

well, I'd never handled a Winchester SuperX2 until today, and I have to say that it has several major features that I like better than the 11-87. It was 530 out the door, but I didn't take it. What I didn't like was the single bead, blued barrel and imitation wood stock. The 11-87 was 540 out the door, and it was black synthetic, parkerized barrel, and double bead sight.

I think that I had really rather have the sx2 because of the placement of the action realease button, higher ribs on the barrel, and just better fit for me. So, the question is, can I keep looking and eventually find the SuperX2 in camo with double sigting beads or was it ever even made like that? What can I expect to pay for that? Or, is my better option just to go out and buy the 11-87 in camo with the double sight beads?

I'm talking about 12ga by the way.

Thanks for any help and guidance. Sorry if terms aren't exactly right, but please just bear with me as I learn more about specific shotguns and characteristics.
Old November 21, 2002, 07:45 PM   #2
Preacherman

Hi, Gipper, and welcome to TFL! You might find answers to your question on this thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=140106.
Old November 21, 2002, 08:29 PM   #3
HSMITH

Having a second bead installed is less than $25, do it yourself for $15 TOPS. You can get the X2 with a black synthetic stock set like the remington instead of the wood grain. The 11-87 is not parkerized unless it is the police version, and it would be a lot more than $540. The 11-87 is matte blued just like the X2, but over a rougher surface. The X2 is a lot more gun than the 11-87, and yes I have owned both. FIT FIT FIT. Buy the best shotgun you can find that FITS.
Old November 21, 2002, 09:01 PM   #4
gipper

Yeah, preacherman, I heard someone talkin on the tv the other day puttin down the 11-87, and I it was actually in that thread. (I'm sorry I just had to do that. It's an obscure Hank reference for whoever doesn't know.) I've been following that thread closely, and even asked about the 1100 in relation to those since I can get one real cheap (free), but I really don't want to spend the money on it if I can't get 3" shells in it; I've decided.

HSMITH, that's handy to know. I was really wondering about the price of that second bead, and being insignificant, that really takes it out of the equation I guess. So my only remaining questions are is the SuperX2 available in camo, and/ot how much would a camo replacement stock be for that gun?
Old November 21, 2002, 09:35 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

What are you planning to use it for? My experiance with 3 inch shells has been less than steller. If waterfowl are on the list, I'd concur.
Old November 22, 2002, 12:10 AM   #6
gipper

all purpose gun. Waterfoul, quail, turkey and clays.
Old November 22, 2002, 07:25 AM   #7
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Gotcha.
Old November 22, 2002, 08:37 AM   #8
HSMITH

Camo yes, replacement stocks are not available that I am aware of. Camo raises the price a little. If waterfowl and turkey are on the list I would buy the 3.5" version. 3.5" makes a huge difference in steel capacity so you can actually maintain a decent pattern AND shoot large enough pellets to kill something cleanly. That is having your cake and eating it too. For turkeys another 1/4 oz of shot OR another 150-200 FPS darn sure is not going to hurt anything. The 3.5" gun shoots my light 1 oz reloads, so targets are not a problem. You get the versatility of any 3" autoloader, plus the power of a 10ga if you need/want it.
Old November 23, 2002, 11:53 AM   #9
gipper

I've decided what I want, but to get prices, I need the model number for the gun. My dealer was having a hard time finding it yesterday, and he was really busy, so I told him I'd see if I could find it out.

What is the model number for the Winchester SuperX2 in camo with 3" capacity (not 3.5") and either the 26 or 28" barrel?
Old November 23, 2002, 12:03 PM   #10
Gila Jorge

Wouldn't have a 3.5" 12ga...if you need that capability then get a 10ga Browning. Otherwise
the 3" 12 in Winchester is the superior gun. The 11-87 is just not the gun the old 1100 was. The Super X-2 is a take off from the far superior Super X-1. Winchester always has outstandig guns.
I would be interested in having such a gun over bored....that's what Browning calls extra. Its darn sure worth having. I always change out sights myself and put a Bradley target white bead and a gold center bead on every gun. Then I set the pitch to 1.5 on a field gun and pull at 14.5" but then I'm a competitive shooter who used to shoot 10-15,000 rounds a year in all 4 guns. AA
in both skeet and trap. Blessings.
Old November 23, 2002, 12:41 PM   #11
HSMITH

The X2 is overbored already. 3 1/2" 12 ga is only .032" smaller in bore than a 10 ga, with equal payloads and velocities. With a 3.5" 12 you have a gun that can do anything that needs doing in the shotgun world. With a 10 you have a goose and/or turkey gun.
Old November 23, 2002, 08:31 PM   #12
retiredsquid

I've owned several 11-87s and have a Super X2. I'll tell ya that the Super X2 is a better gun. Has been back-bored and takes Browning Invector-Plus choke tubes. Middle beads are inexpensive to install or have installed. A Hi-Viz Pro Comp front bead is a welcomed addition, too.

Camo stocks and forends are available from Winchester, too. Just give them a call at 1-800-945-1392 to order direct. I replaced my wood stock and forend with black synthetic on a special order thru Wally World for $51 earlier this year. You can also get the forend cap with swivel stud from Winchester or Uncle Mike's.
Regards,
Rich