The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 28, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Ultra12

Shooting gloves

I am looking for a pair of shooting gloves. I can find any good ones locally the all feel like they ate too thick and poorly made. I was even
considering going custom and getting one made to my hand but don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciate
Old May 28, 2012, 07:06 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

Have you tried (baseball) batting gloves?... I like 'em for shooting...
Old May 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
BarryLee

I think I may try a pair of these:

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/the...t-covert-glove
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 28, 2012, 07:32 PM   #4
KevK.

I think the Mechanic gloves would be a good bet. You can find them cheaper than $27 though.

Hadn't thought of batters gloves though. I'll have to look into that.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:45 PM   #5
M3mh0g

I actually use the Mechanix Wear gloves. You can save about $10 if you just go to autozone or lowes and get the non"tacitcool" ones. They are the exact same glove except the lettering on top is not black. I've tried several types and the mechanix wear are the most form fitting around the fingers, they are terribly durable and the Velcro is like rubber so it will last longer than the batters gloves or golf gloves.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
BarryLee

Quote:
You can save about $10 if you just go to autozone or lowes and get the non"tacitcool" ones.
I don’t necessarily want the tactical look, but I am considering the gloves I provided the link to because they are vented. They are made of a perforated material and I felt it might be cooler and more comfortable for shooting gloves.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 29, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
BigJimP

Rain Golf gloves ....come in pairs ...and they're available in high tech fabrics...with a velcro closure. Footjoy makes a pair in black / they're thin enough to pick up a dime ....give you a good feel for the gun / ok in heat ..or rain ..or cold.

Most any big golf store will have them.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:00 PM   #8
newfrontier45

Mechanix gloves are okay but I prefer Uncle Mike's leather shooting gloves. Been using a pair for at least 15yrs and they are still doing the job. I don't care for the padded variety at all, even with hard kickers. Be aware that shooting gloves usually change the point of impact and adjust accordingly.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:08 PM   #9
22-rimfire

I use shooting gloves now when I shoot my 480 Ruger SRH which is my largest caliber handgun. As far as gloves go, there is nothing special about "shooting goves" and some good fitting gloves from Lowes would work just fine. I suggest you try them on and buy in person versus mail order simply because the sizing is usually smaller than what I expected.

I have Uncle Mikes shooting gloves.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:02 PM   #10
newfrontier45

I agree that it is very important to buy them in person, unless you've tried them on before. Also that there is really nothing special about those Uncle Mike's gloves as it pertains to shooting. All you really need is just a comfortable glove with good traction.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:17 PM   #11
slow944

I went to Wally World and picked up a $15 pair of Bicycling gloves. Work great with a little Gel in the padding.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Nomadicone

When I shot a 454 I used to use fingerless, gel filled motorcycle or bicycle gloves.
Old May 29, 2012, 06:51 PM   #13
buckhorn_cortez

You might want to look at GripSwell. You measure your hand, call them, and they will help fit the gloves. They have several different models. I got a pair for my wife and she likes the fit and padding.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14
bbqbob51

I picked up a pair of these and I like them. Light, well fitting, and provide just enough protection.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILITARY-SHO...item1c1f097f1a
Old May 30, 2012, 11:16 AM   #15
WSM MAGNUM

I used a pair of weight lifters gloves that I had when I was lifting weights. The thicker area of the glove is right in the palm, and web of your thumb and finger. Just where I get "bit" from the hammer. The gloves are also fingerless and don`t interfere with my feel of the trigger.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old May 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have been using a pair of Uncle Mikes for about 15 years if I am shooting heavy loads in my 44 or 41 mag revolvers. They stop the knuckle bite and the hand bruising quite nicely.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 31, 2012, 10:40 PM   #17
larryf1952

Quote:
Have you tried (baseball) batting gloves?... I like 'em for shooting...
I'm another advocate for batting gloves. I've been using them for years. I originally began wearing them because I wanted to keep the perspiration off my guns' finish, so I didn't want finglerless gloves. They've allowed me to keep even my oldest guns looking like new.

The batting gloves are inexpensive, lightweight, flexible and provide extra grip. I've been extremely pleased with them.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Water-Man

Cabelas has Bob Allen Shootin Gloves on sale for $9.88.
Old June 1, 2012, 10:48 PM   #19
sig220mwxxxx

I got some PAST shooting gloves 3 or 4 years ago. They are still going strong and do indeed help me when shooting the hotter loads in 357 mag and 45 colt. I also used them when I had a 44 mag and they worked well for it also.
Old June 2, 2012, 09:42 AM   #20
larryh1108

I use police shooting gloves. You get a very good feel on the fingertips with them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hatch-NS430-...item2ebe3ba215
Old June 2, 2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Lost Sheep

I had a comfortable pair of nice leather gloves that mitigated the fierce recoil of my friend's hotter 500 S&W loads.

It only took three rounds to put a big rip in the part of the palm that covers the base of my thumb.

I have had good fortune with the cheap, knitted gloves that have a grid of non-slip rubber/plastic on them. They breathe. They stretch (not tear). They cushion. They're cheap. They are ambidextrous. If you cut the trigger finger off, the knitting doesn't unravel, because of the rubber/plastic coating grid.

Lost Sheep
Old June 3, 2012, 07:47 AM   #22
rep1954

A pair of goat skin gardening gloves work awesome and they are alot cheaper than some of the more sepcialty gloves.
Old June 3, 2012, 01:35 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

Tactical-outdoor-shooting gloves.....

There are a few high quality & well engineered shooting gloves available.
Check Hatch, Blackhawk, 5.11 Tactical, Mechanix, Ringers.
Here are some good gear/gloves sources: www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.duluthtrading.com www.cabelas.com .
I like the Hatch Shorty Operator & 5.11 ATAK2 models.
Old June 4, 2012, 04:53 PM   #24
l98ster

When I use gloves (very seldom), I use golf gloves. Very thin leather. Under normal circumstances I am a mens large. I use a womans large gold glove. It fits super skin tight, so the dexterity is great.

Just something to think about; the color of my gloves are black. It does 2 things. 1) Hides powder residue, but more importantly, 2) if shooting on a cold, but sunny day, the black gloves absorb more light, which in turn absorbs more heat!!!

-George
Old June 4, 2012, 10:28 PM   #25
farmerboy

Never wore gloves. I think you should practice like you are normal and that's with no gloves. Why gloves though? Do they make you more accurate or??