The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2009, 09:49 AM   #26
Dallas13

+1 for the Glock 19.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:04 AM   #27
TailGator

Lots of good guns have been mentioned. Pick the one that you like - that fits your hand and that you are comfortable shooting. Then pick a good holster using the criteria already given above.

I differ just slightly from those who say get plenty of range time. You do want plenty of range time, but it isn't the next step. Take your new gun home and practice with it unloaded first. Make absolutely sure you know how it works. Ask questions here. (After a couple of decades of wheel guns, I bought my first semi and asked a dumb question here and got some straight answers along with a little bit of good natured ribbing.) Practice with the holster and an unloaded gun, too - a fairly high number of accidental discharges occur when holstering and drawing. If it goes click, you blew it, but better a click than a bang.

Then when you are comfortable with all that, hit the range and get comfortable shooting. Keep reading and visiting forums and learning - it's a lousy day when you don't learn something.

If you choose a gun without an external manual safety, you may be more comfortable carrying without a round chambered for a while. Others will argue about this, but it is a lot faster to rack a semi than it is to go home for one, and after a little time you will gain the confidence in your gun and your handling of it to carry one in the pipe.

It isn't a purchase - it is a learning process. Enjoy it, stay safe, and thanks for taking on the responsibility of defending yourself and those around you.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:45 AM   #28
Keltyke

Quote:
Don't get turned off by the term sub-compact,
True. Although the XD9SC is small, with only a 3" barrel, I wouldn't call it a "sub compact". The Keltec PF-9 is a sub compact. The Seecamp, Ruger, and Keltec 3AT are sub compacts - easily concealable in the palm of your hand. The XD9SC feels like a larger gun, and shoots like one, too. It's very ergonomic.

As has already been said, carry what you feel comfortable with - or you won't want to carry it. If you feel the need for a thumb safety, then you need one. If you feel safe with a trigger or grip safety, then go for that.

Your statement is correct - as you handle handguns more, you will learn what feels "safe" to YOU - and that's what matters.

I carry a Steyr S40 (frame and trigger safety), a Bersa Thunder 380 (drop hammer safety with first round DA), a Taurus 85UL (no safety - you pull, it fires), and a Springfield XD9SC (grip and trigger safeties). I used to carry a Keltec PF-9 (no safety, just a long heavy trigger pull) They're all different, but I feel safe with any of them.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:58 AM   #29
riggins_83

Nothing wrong with the Glock 19, it's a very good choice. When it comes to concealed carry having a gun without a manual external safety. I think the biggest concern with carrying a gun like this is using a well made holster. For example if carrying IWB use a quality molded holster not one of the cheap thin holsters. That and using the safety between your ears.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:15 PM   #30
headbangerJD

Damn, I am very impressed and thankful for all the great replies. Everybody has given great advice;
-a gun with an external safety is no safer than one without
-a good holster is a must
-practice w/ the gun while unloaded to get a good feel of it
-carry the gun w/o a round chambered in order to feel comfortable w/o an external safety

That said, I am now narrowing my choices down to these guns:
-Glock 19
-S&W M&Pc
-Taurus Pt111

I would have thrown in the XD, but my carpel-tunnel is getting worse and i'm not sure I'd like the grip safety because of this.
These all seem to be good choices, now I just have to pick one.
any suggestions? pros and cons?
Old May 22, 2009, 03:34 PM   #31
KingEdward

this may or may not help you because it is your call

I have never carried a semi auto. In around 5 or so years of CCW, have only
carried the J Frame smiths or the colt DS wheel guns.

that said, I would like to have another option (once I purchase, train, shoot, etc).

After spending some time on this, I will purchase either a glock 26 or 19.

Probably the 19.

Here are my reasons:

1) reliability
2) accurate follow up shots
3) capacity
4) caliber
5) holster and accessory options are many

I am not the biggest fan of safety buttons and levers and switches. Just for me and being under stress. I know many who love their CCW and all of it's buttons, indicators, etc.

The only gun I use a safety on is the mossberg 500. I do understand their many plus sides and there is a factor to considered i.e. the gun being taken from you and used on you. For me and my situation (and people will probably jump on me) and general day to day carry environment, if I choose to take the glock, it will be without one in the pipe while on my person.

I will probably carry the wheelgun still 90% of the time.

I will probably carry the semi auto on the rare occasions when I will be in situations where there is a greater likelihood of multiple threats and attackers.

I do visit a family member in a part of town now known to have variety of gang membership and crime.

These are few and far between times mostly and I understand we cannot "predict" danger.

We can use common sense and avoid some sketchy places and situations.

I have heard a few regrets over purchase of the other guns you mentioned.

I can't recall hearing any regrets over purchasing a g26 or g19.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:43 PM   #32
eJack

Check out xd compacts before you decide

I too was set on getting a glock until I held one. Check out xd compacts before you decide. Very similar trigger safety as the glock with an added grip safety. Also the compact models have the short mag for concealed carry and the long mag with grip extension for open carry. And if you carry spare mags, you can reload with full capacity mags. It basically makes the gun fill two major vacancies in one . I also like the feel of the grip better than a glock, but that is one of those personal touchy feely things.
Old May 22, 2009, 05:03 PM   #33
Pops 1

Get a G19.
Old May 22, 2009, 07:43 PM   #34
Keltyke

Quote:
-Glock 19
I've TRIED to like the Glocks, I REALLY have. I've shot several, and the grip just doesn't fit my hand. I shot a Glock compact 40 (don't know the model) that was really rough to shoot - almost as bad as (used to be) my Keltec P-40.

Quote:
-S&W M&Pc
Do'nt know anything about them but they have a good reputation and get good reviews.

Quote:
-Taurus Pt111
My wife has a PT138 she loves. It's a very soft-shooting semi.

Quote:
I would have thrown in the XD, but my carpel-tunnel is getting worse and i'm not sure I'd like the grip safety because of this.
Go ahead and throw it in. The grip safety takes about 2 ounces of pressure to deactivate. You won't even feel it in your hand. I love my XD9SC. It shoots easily and accurately. It comes with a standard 10 round mag and a hi-cap 16 round mag with a butt extension that fits perfectly.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:51 PM   #35
m&p45acp10+1

As a first time buyer, and someone that is looking to buy for ccw and concearned about a manual safty. I would recomend checking out a Bersa thunder 9mm ultra compact. It is not that small at all. A 4 inch barrel I believe, or somewhere in that area.
I bought a 45 of this type and carried it for 5 years. I still have too. I have benched it for my M&P 45. I will give some of my own pros and cons from exerience with the 45. 9mm is similar to the 45 just a bit slimmer and lighter.
Pros: 1 it is all metal 2 single stack magazine 3 DA/SA external hammer 4 manual safty/decocking switch 5 not too small in the hand 6 large dots on the novak sights 6 shoots remarkably true 7 reasonably priced within your price range 7 has an integral lock system with key to prevent unauthoised use
Cons: 1 weight(it is all metal so it is heavier, it does help with felt recoil though) 2 extra mags are only available from Bersa that I know of (they cost a bit more than the ones from the other Mfgs. 3 it does not come in a case with extra mags like most others do 4 double action trigger is bit on the heavy side
Just a suggestion I have not heard anyone else speak of them. My 45 has performed flawlessly, it has never failed to fire or jammed, I would not even want to try to count how many boxes of ammo have been fired through it.
Old May 24, 2009, 06:45 PM   #36
Dr_2_B

Headbanger, I love my Taurus PT145 (the .45 version of the PT111). However, I just don't consider it to be on the same level as my Glock. If you can afford the Glock, I would certainly choose it over the Taurus.
Old May 25, 2009, 04:47 PM   #37
fourdogs

Save a little more and get a P7. Lots on GB from the Saxony dump. Superlative carry gun. Most are in the range of $700+ but IMO you will never regret buying one.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:18 PM   #38
redrick

If you feel like you need a safety, look at the M&P9c with the thumb safety. It is in between the G19 and G26, both of which are good choices. If you join the GSSF you can get a new Glock at LEO cost, that should put you in your price range, with standard sights.
Old May 25, 2009, 07:38 PM   #39
liberty1

I have a 19 and highly recommend it. I also have an XD and as stated before you wont even feel the grip safety.
We were all beginners once. Practice practice practice and safety will become second nature
Old May 25, 2009, 07:45 PM   #40
hihosilver

the M&P compact now has a thumb safety. Or, the XD9sc the grip safety. For alot of people, it takes awhile before they finally realize they dont need a thumb safety. Keep it in the holster and ready. Look at the Mand P if u do want a safety.
Old May 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #41
RT

and a MTAC holster for CCW.
Old May 26, 2009, 01:18 AM   #42
Venom1956

Not to sound like an ass but, I personally think you need to become more comfortable with firearms then you seem to be right now then be worried about a CCW permit, you need to be confident in you abilities and weapon before you ever put yourself in a situation that requires you to use your firearm, because if that happens and your not prepared and draw your weapon things could get ugly fast. (I know that your need to take courses for CCW but I'm just giving my opinion, classes don't always mean prepared)

I apologize if I am wrong but I would rather be sure you know to handle a situation and resolve it rather then escalate it and see more people hurt...
Old May 26, 2009, 07:24 AM   #43
Chesster

Quote:
I personally think you need to become more comfortable with firearms
Probably true but you will need a firearm to start with eventually.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old May 26, 2009, 01:52 PM   #44
LordofWar

Glock 19 all the way and a very Happy Birthday in advance.

DO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE INS & OUTS OF FIREARM SAFETY.
Old May 26, 2009, 02:08 PM   #45
rsxr22

The g-19 is a great choice. I am 22 and live in the youngstown area and started out with striker-fired pistols like glock and the xd. Since then though i have replaced some of those pistols with single action/double action guns like HK p2000sk for carry and HK45 and 2 sig sauers. IMO they are much more accurate and do everything that the glock does, only better. but either way you really cant go wrong
Old May 26, 2009, 02:40 PM   #46
TimNelson

Of the three guns that you have chosen to consider I would probably throw the taurus out of consideration first, there QC is still just to bad for me to seriously consider as a ccw. If you are going to consider the M&P and Glock I would tell you to reconsider the XD as well as I dont think your carpel tunnel will have any problems with the grip safety, there is almost no pressure required to engage the safety, if you can hold a gun you can deal with that safety. I would try holding all 3 of these pistols and which ever one fits your hand the best of the 3 I am suggesting I would choose that one, they are all good guns.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:39 PM   #47
Reidman

+1 Venom

I carry a Kahr K9 and find it to be a very nice pistol for CC. It's doesn't have the capacity of a G19 but it is more slim. Also the steel frame is a plus IMO. I came to that decision after a month or so of reading up on TFL and going to shops and handling everything I could. Take your time. Do your research. Put your mitts on all your choices. Fire one if you get the chance.

I took an advanced handgun skills class this weekend with the same guy who did my permit class. Great guy with lots of practical experience. What I learned that I did not learn in the permit class was the unfortunate factor of reality. I'm 27 and I concider myself a proficient shooter. I have shot all my life. When we brought the street to the range funny things started happening...

My shirt got caught in my grip a few times when I drew my pistol. I forgot to flip the safety and kept trying to clear my pistol. Under stress fire conditions I missed easy shots that I would not have missed under normal target practice conditions. I had my practice pistol taken from me several times durring weapon retention training. On a speed trial my first instinct was to draw and shove the pistol forward and shoot one handed like a street thug.

When I was put under stress I found that I was a range robot and all the habits I had learned were not to my advantage in a fight. I urge you to continue your training after you get your permit. You don't have to drop 5 grand to spend a week in the desert to learn good skills. There are NRA certified trainers all over who enjoy teaching how to win the undesired fight that somone brings to you. For sure get some more training after your permit class!

(off my soap box)

I also think I might like a G19. Probably need to work it into the budget
Old May 27, 2009, 12:19 PM   #48
Dave Krobath

Take a look at a Bersa/Firestorm Mini 9
I love it feels great, shoots great and is in the price range your looking at. Like everything else a bit hard to find right now. But if you find one put it in your hand and check it out.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:50 PM   #49
Uncle Malice

I had a Glock 23, which is the same size as the Glock 19... While they are very reliable guns... I - as do so many others - found the grip much less than comfortable.

It's not that I don't think they are good guns... I really do... and I'm looking at possibly getting a Glock 26 soonish...

I love my M&P 9c... it's the perfect size for me and with the exchangeable backstraps - it should fit nicely into anyone's hand.

The biggest downside in my opinion is that Glock holsters are so ridiculously plentiful that finding M&P holsters can be a little difficult. I've heard that most of the holsters for the XD should work for the M&P... I have only tried this by putting my M&P 9c into the XD Gear holster that came with my XD-9 sub compact and it does, actually, fit fairly well.

Either pistol should treat you very well, I'd say.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:26 PM   #50
fast-eddie

get two

Ruger P-95 for winter

makarov for the summer time.

Two good pistols for the price of a glock.

Tags
9mm , compact , first handgun