The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2008, 01:31 PM   #1
CortJestir

Digital vs. Analog Scales. Let the debate begin (or continue, as it were)!

As the title suggests, what are your opinions on both digital (electronic) and analog (beam) scales?

I'm looking at upgrading to an RCBS 10-10 beam scale, but I'm also looking at going digital. Opinions abound on this. Would love to know yours.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:40 PM   #2
cchardwick

I'm actually a scientist by profession and have used many many analytical balances. Most of the balances I have used in the lab are a complete nighmare with drifting numbers and scales going crazy from static electricity. Recently I bought a Lyman T-Mag Turret Expert Kit from Midway.com and the electronic balance that I got with the kit is magnificant. It holds the zero, jumps to the correct mass within a few seconds, never drifts, and in fifty rounds I've only ever had to re-zero once. It's fast and accurate, I'd never go to a non-digital after using this scale.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:41 PM   #3
D. Manley

Electronic scales are great...instant readout and accuracy equal to or better than, balance beams. A very nice addition to the loading bench and one I wouldn't be without.

With that said, I'd never trust an electronic scale (calibrated or otherwise) minus a good balance beam to confirm its accuracy. In my own practice, I use the electronic (RCBS Rangemaster 750) to adjust the PM as I work up loads. I will always check a combined weight of 10-powder drops a couple of times against the balance beam (Dillon Eliminator) and confirm the 10 drop average matches the electronic.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:52 PM   #4
LHB1

I have two scales on my reloading bench, a Lyman/Ohaus balance beam (bought in 1970) almost identical to the new RCBS 1010 and a newer RCBS electronic/digital. The new digital is quicker and easier to read BUT the old mechanical balance beam IS THE FINAL JUDGE if weights differ. You can never be sure that the digital hasn't developed an electronic short or other problem with the internal load cell which senses/measures the weight. There is little to go wrong with the simple mechanical balance beam that is not readily obvious visually. I use both digital and balance beam but will NOT trust the electronic without frequent testing with check weights or against the balance beam to ensure that it is still working OK. Both types of scales are sensitive to wind currents but electronics are also sensitive to interference by some fluorescent lights and some units take a LONG time to warm up and stabilize the measurements. My particular digital scale does not have either of these problems.

Last edited by LHB1; November 21, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:59 PM   #5
indy245

My Lyman digital scale seems to work great. I borrowed a balance scale when I first started re-loading and the digital scale is alot faster. I check far more powder weights with this scale just because it is that fast. The digital scale comes with a calibrated weight. I use the weight when I want to check accuracy. Calibrate the scale when the calibrated weight does not match the weight displayed and every time you start re-loading. Calibrating takes 10-15 seconds. The only reason I can see to have a balance style scale is for back-up if the electronic scale craps out.

Indy.
Old November 21, 2008, 04:15 PM   #6
D. Manley

Quote:
"...The new digital is quicker and easier to read BUT the old mechanical balance beam IS THE FINAL JUDGE if weights differ...."
That's the bottom line for me as well. I like the speed and convenience but I'd never want to unverifiably trust an electronic regardless, of quality. Besides, compared to the price of a decent electronic, a reliable balance beam is affordable insurance. If I absolutely had to choose (thank heaven I don't), I'd have to go with a good beam.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If kept in a controlled environment, I have absolutely no reason why I need to trust an electronic scale.

I don't see shaving a couple of seconds off my time reloading using an electronic is beneficial compared to trusting a quality mechanical one. The LAST thing on my mind is speed when reloading.

The use of electricity/batteries jacks up the overall cost of ownership of electronic scales.

That's my take.

Quote:
The only reason I can see to have a balance style scale is for back-up if the electronic scale craps out.
My statement is the reciprical...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 21, 2008, 07:51 PM   #8
wncchester

I once worked in the space program as an electronic instument tech. There are no digital scales in my loading room nor will there ever be.

A common reloading scale is as easy to read as a digital IF we place it on a shelf at the proper height, about nose level works fine for me.

My 45 year old Lyman (Ohaus) scale is the forerunner of the current RCBS 1010, I wouldn't swap it for anything else. It IS important to keep any scale clean, especially the pivots and bearings. And keep the pivot bar centered ON the bearings, not rubbing against the bearing brackets or friction will degrade accuracy and sensitity.

But, my old scale is still dead on with any check weights I put on it, and the magnetically damped beam only swings a couple of times before it stops so its "speed" is as fast as I need. Anyone want to bet their favorite digtal scale will provide such long and dependable service?
Old November 21, 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
rn22723

While I have a Chargemaster Combo, and I calibrate it every time I use it. I do check it with a mechanical scale. There are many factors to inluence electronic scales.....and drafts in the location can and do impact a mechanical one, too.
Old November 21, 2008, 09:01 PM   #10
D. Manley

The attached .pdf file contains a nice set of tips written by Lee Love (Uniquetek) to help get the most from an electronic scale...worth a read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Electronic_Scale_Tips.pdf (37.1 KB, 63 views)
Old November 21, 2008, 09:06 PM   #11
CortJestir

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone. Excellent feedback, as expected.

Sounds like the bulk of folks have both to have the best of both worlds. I'm leaning towards that route myself, but as funds are limited, I may go for an upgraded beam scale now and save my pennies for a nice digital with a quality load cell.

Keep the thoughts coming...
Old November 21, 2008, 09:37 PM   #12
amamnn

I have 5 scales. I have acquired them over the years for various reasons The first digital I bought was a PACT BKII if memory serves. Anyway, it was the least expensive PACT. It has worked quite well but for a 6 month hiatus due to my own mistake of trying to get a particular battery to fit in it. After talking with PACT I was able to reset the program in the scale and it works fine to this day, though I use it only infrequently. I use my balance beams not at all.

What I do use is the PACT pro model digital scale. Now, I have to admit that if I were using the scale as a free standing unit along with my Harrell or RCBS micrometer powder measure and trickler, I would not really have any reason to use it over my Bayer pharmaceutical scale. However, I use it in conjunction with the PACT digital powder dispenser and that makes all the difference in the world. If you are someone who loads for max precision, then the scale/dispenser combo, whether PACT, RCBS, or Lyman is for you. You'll throw rocks at the old 19th century measures, tricklers, and scales.
Old November 22, 2008, 01:27 AM   #13
cchardwick

Well I've been in chemistry labs for nearly 20 years now in the medical device field and with all the chemicals / drugs / and drugs that coat medical devices to go into patients, we have never ever used a mechanical scale. All of the scales I have ever seen were digital and people are putting their lives on the line with the accuracy of these scales. Keep in mind that before any scale is used, at the beginning of the day the scale is checked with the check weights. Usually at least five weights to check accuracy over the whole range of use, and the scale is always turned on an warmed up, they are never turned off. If you use an electronic scale it may be prudent to let it warm up a bit before use and then check some check weights before use. You can make your own check weights when you first get your scale by cutting up some metal and then using a grinder and fine file to get it exact, maybe double check the weights with another digital or manual scale to be sure they are right on. To me going back to a manual scale is like selling my car and buying a horse and buggy LOL. (cheaper on gas, I mean grass)
Old November 22, 2008, 05:43 AM   #14
ryalred

I'm like many others. I use my electronic scale, but I check it often with the test weight and against my balance beam. Love the electronic scale for ease of use, but just can't make myself trust it completely. Old habits are hard to relinquish.
reloading -- addicted
Old November 22, 2008, 09:16 AM   #15
wncchester

"...we have never ever used a mechanical scale. All of the scales I have ever seen were digital and people are putting their lives on the line with the accuracy of these scales. Keep in mind that before any scale is used, at the beginning of the day the scale is checked with the check weights."

My user question remains, "What does a digital scale, of itself, bring to my reloading?" Answer - Nothing. Well, except when weighting cases and I do that VERY seldom so I can live with my old scale and avoid the disadvantages of digitals the rest of the time.

Check around the base of your labs precision digital scale. You will likley find a sticker with the date of it's last routine certification by a competent professional technician, done on a regular schedule to insure that it remains accurate. I used to do it. But my beam scales don't need a professional maintaince program!

As mentioned above, ANY sensitive scale must not have a breeze blowing on it, so that issue is a draw between them. Beams are slightly more rugged than digitals but neither can take hard bumps or serious mistreatment, not even once.

BUT, no beam scale NEEDS recalibration or checks before and during use, nor warm up, nor re-zeroing from time to time. Nor do they care if the power line voltage fluctuates. Nor are beam scales subject to interference from florescent lights, cell phones, dogs barking or ducks flying west at noon, all of which seem to interfere with our inexpensive reloading type digital scales.

And beam scales (set up properly) will smoothy follow the input from a trickler while bring up charges. Digitals usually jerk themselves along...eventually, after I've over loaded the charge a few tenths. We don't need that hassle while charging cases!

(Ok, a slight exageration about the dogs and ducks but digitals sometimes do funny things that can't be explained otherwise.)