The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 1999, 11:25 AM   #1
Fred

Need some help. Am interested in buying a Lyman Model 55 powder measure for my reloading chores. Previously used a Lee Auto Disk, so am only familiar with the Lee concept of removable disks with different size charge holes. The ad for the Lyman mentions "micrometer adjustable slides". What are they? Actually, I don't need to know what they are as much as I would like to know if anyone has experience with the Lyman 55, and what do you think of it? Does is compare favorably to the more expensive variety (RCBS, Redding)? Thanks - Fred

Old January 9, 1999, 11:43 AM   #2
Roger Dailey

I have a 55 and use it quite a bit. It seems to work better with some powders, not quite as well with others. I got mine used for a very, very low price ($5). I'd buy another one at that price, but if paying new price I'd take a real serious look at the Redding. Take care, have fun.... [email protected]
Old January 9, 1999, 03:54 PM   #3
Bob C

I bought my Lyman 55 for $7.50 from a freind in 1973. He had gotten it from his Dad, who purchased it in the 1930's. I still keep it in the original box, use it frequently, and have no need for another. It can get tempermental with some of the small flake pistol powders, but with any Alliant, IMR, or similar powders, or ball powders it works great.