The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1
vito

Stiff slide on Browning Buckmark

I've owned this Browning Buckmark for many years, and have always been impressed with the accuracy and ease of use of this very inexpensive gun. But recently I have a problem with the slide being very stiff, meaning I barely have the strength to pull it back to chamber a round and cock the hammer. I've disassembled and clearned and lubricated the slide, checked the spring, etc. and everything seems fine but then when fully put back together, it is still very difficult to pull back. Any thoughts?
Old September 24, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
geetarman

It is a characteristic of the gun. Mine is the same way.

There is not a lot of gripping surface. Once the slide begins to move, it is ok.

I do not remember the older Belgian Challengers being that way.

I do believe I have seen some models of the Buckmark with what looks like some half round surfaces machined in the slide. It looks like a couple of dowell pins that are parallel to the side of the slide and allow for easier gripping with the thumb and finger.

I was thinking mine would become easier with use. I was wrong.

This problem would not exist if Browning had machined the gripping surface of the slide with a slight concave surface. That would have allowed one to put thumb and finger behind the slide and give a little added surface for the pad of the thumb and finger to work the slide.

As we age, gripping a slide becomes harder. My son is only 36 and it is a problem for him also.

The Buckmark Contour looks like it has an additional roll machined in the rear of the slide and I see where most new models are relieved at the back. Too bad for me as mine is a slab side.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #3
Dashunde

Quote:
But recently I have a problem with the slide being very stiff, meaning I barely have the strength to pull it back to chamber a round and cock the hammer.
This is a change in the gun, right? Its become stiffer, binding, or...?
If so.. send it in.
Mine and every other Buckmark I've shot (several) is buttery smooth and very easy to cycle by hand.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
BigJimP

No, its not a characteristic of the gun...something is wrong...my Buckmark is very smooth / and easy to rack.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
geetarman

Quote:
No, its not a characteristic of the gun...something is wrong...
Then I have two, purchased 2 years apart with the same issue.

There are plenty of complaints about the Buckmark on this very issue on several different sites.

I do not think the basic designs are at fault save the gripping area of the slabside versus the Camper or Contour models.

The issue is more pronounced when trying to rack the slide after a trigger pull on an empty chamber.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 24, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
pilpens

Could the sight rail be pinching the slide so that it is difficult to rack back?
How could this happen ---------- ???? bent sight rail, rear sight rail screw too tight, maybe.
Old September 24, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7
geetarman

The slides are not difficult to rack as long as the trigger has not been pulled on an empty chamber.

I bought this gun because I had such a good experience with a much older Belgian Challenger.

The guns are quite different. I gave one to my son and later bought one with a stainless slide and frame. I have the same issue with this one that I did with the other.

Probably a progressive type recoil spring would allow one to actually get the slide moving before hitting the resistance associated with cocking the hammer on an empty chamber.

I do not remember this issue on the older Belgian Challengers but it is there on the newer models.

Mine is a slab side and the problem is there on both guns.

You can look on the Browning web site and you can see some different configurations on the slide. . .especially the Camper and Contour models.

The changes in the contour are not there for no reason.

The slide runs fine once it gets going. It is the initial effort required to get it moving with the hammer pulled on an empty chamber where you are trying to do two things at once.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 24, 2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Dashunde

Umm... something is still wrong. Either way mine are easy to pull.

The exterior machining may look different, but I think the guts are the exact same across the entire Buckmark line, and all are easy to rack if in good working condition.
Its just a 22lr... nothing about it should be stiff or difficult.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
dahermit

Loosen the two screws on top that hold the slide on 1/2 turn. If that loosens the slide then you will know where to investigate as to the problem. Under each screw there should be a star washer. If loosening the two Allen-head screws does not lead to anything, take the slide off and look at the underside of the Aluminum rear-sight rail to see if it has become galled or if some foreign matter has been blown in there from firing.
Old September 24, 2012, 10:20 PM   #10
jglsprings

^^^
What he said. I've overtightened those screws before.

Commas save lives...
Old September 25, 2012, 06:21 AM   #11
geetarman

Both my guns have had the plastic rear sight base removed and an aluminum base installed. There are no plastic parts and no starwashers in the sight base and the screws do not rub.

I know the base screws would rub with the plastic base if the star washer was left off or if the screws were over tightened.

With the new base, the long screw goes in the rear and the short one in front to prevent the sight screws rubbing.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the gun. It is just an issue that many have mentioned and that many experience.

It is more an issue of purchase area to grip the slide on the slabside models and issues with strength of grip as one gets older.

As I said before, the Camper and the Contour appear to have different machining on the slide to reduce the effort required to grip and run the slide that is not present on the two that I have.

I do not recall the same issue on the old Belgian Challengers and I have not shot other Buckmark models.

It is an issue with the two that I have.

Carpe Cerveza