The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Kjeil

What am I missing? Different brass/bullets, group moves left?

I finally made it out to the range today with a working scope to try different loads and I saw something that I just don't get.

When I switched to loads using different brass and bullets the group's center moved down and to the left about two inches.

I can understand the drop as the second group probably had more capacity and therefore lower pressure and it had a bigger bullet therefore it was slower. But why would it move to the left?

BTW, this wasn't just a handful of rounds. It was two groups of 40 (10 rounds of four different loads). Here are the details:

Rifle specs:
5.56mm (Military) Chambered AR
16" Barrel
Chrome Lined chamber and bore
Mid-Length gas system
1:7 Twist

Batch 1 (four batches of ten)
Brass: WCC
Primer: CCI Arsenal
Bullet: Sierra Matchking 69gr
C.O.L.: 2.26
Powder: Varget
Charge: 23,23.5,24,24.5

Batch 2 (four batches of ten)
Brass: Hordany Match
Primer: CCI Arsenal
Bullet: Hornady BTHP 75gr
C.O.L.: 2.25
Powder: Varget
Charge: 19.5,20.0,20.5,21

Weather:
40 degrees
No Wind

The one possibility I can think of is that the Hornady brass was brand new and I didn't realize you still had to size it (You may remember the "Oops" thread) But I still don't see why that would move it to the left.

Any ideas?

"If thou hast not a sword, sell thy cloak and buy one"
Luke 22:36
Old January 16, 2009, 10:45 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

when you fire a rifle, vibrations occur in the barrel. the vibration runs to the tip of the barrel and back (and forth). With various charges, the point of impact can change if the "vibration" happens to be at the tip of the barrel as the bullet is exiting the muzzle. To make it easier to unserstand, think of it as the barell having a wave running thru it. If the wave and bullet get to the muzzle at the same time, the wave can "flip" the bullet off target. SO, you need to find the "sweet spot" powder charge where the "wave" is not at the muzzle when the bullet exits. OR, you may just be a bad shot!!!! Just kiddin'

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 16, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

could be a combination of this and cant error...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 17, 2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Scorch

Harmonics. Simple answer is what Illinois Coyote Hunter said. The complicated answer takes time, but essentially it's how the barrel vibrates when the bullet travels down it. Change powder, primers, bullet, anything at all, and it vibrates differently.
Old January 17, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The guys have it right. More specifically, it will be due to the differences in barrel times for the two loads letting the bullets exit at different phases of the barrel's harmonic whipping motion. Usually that motion is mostly up and down, but if your gun has a lateral recoil moment, you will get some harmonic whipping on that axis as well. Floating the barrel tends to limit lateral whipping, but it can happen just due to how the gun recoils into your shoulder.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle