The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
chupps

Gunslick Anhydrous Graphitic Question

I bought an old gun cleaning kit at a garage sale that had a tube of Gunslick Anhydrous Graphitic in it. Where should this be applied to my revolvers and pistols? I've never heard of this stuff and I'm wondering if it is old technology. I should probably use it, but what is the best way? Thanks
Old March 15, 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I still have some left over from when the local hardware store threw in either a tube of Gunslick or a tube of RIG with every gun. I put Gunslick on the rails of my autos, oil elsewhere.
Old March 16, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Scorch

Quote:
Where should this be applied to my revolvers and pistols?
Any friction points, including but not limited to trigger mechanisms, slide rails, sear pivots, magazine releases, etc. It is a graphite grease, very slick and very good. Graphite is an excellent dry lubricant, and the grease base is to make it stick where you put it.
Old March 16, 2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

This always came in a tiny silver tube, and claimed a "honing action" to make parts smoother.

There likely is something to this, since my buddy used it on the action and trigger of his Marlin 39-A he bought in the 1960's.
The rifle is extremely smooth operating today.
As an experiment, I'm using an old left-over tube on the trigger of the 1950 Marlin 39-A I rebuilt.
Since I have to replace the hammer and trigger, I'm using the Gunslick grease on it to see what it does.
Old March 21, 2008, 11:53 AM   #5
mcole

i've used gunslick for years; great stuff. mcole
Old March 21, 2008, 01:19 PM   #6
JMag

"Old" technology just like old school doesn't mean it doesn't work, contrary to popular opinion these days. In fact, it's hard to improve on some things. Gunslick and R.I.G. are great products that work as advertised.
Old March 21, 2008, 01:23 PM   #7
arktravler

Gunslick = good stuff
Old March 22, 2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

I've used Gunslick since I first heard of it, that must of been back around 1970.
It's the grease I highly recommend to all my 1911 customers, as a matter of fact I stock it in the shop.
The last American Handgunner World Shootoffs I competed in I went through a little over 2300 rounds in four days of some of the most extreme shooting and weather one can go through, my gun never failed me once.
My gun was lubed with Gunslick on the rails and was not cleaned in those four days of shooting.
I've never found any of the new wonder lubes that will give the performance of Gunslick.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com