The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1
roc1

Tumbling Media

What media do most of you use and where is best place to get it? i have been using media from Harbor Freight crushed walnut but they dont seem to carry it anymore. Looking for economical replacement if possible.
Thanks
roc1
Old January 14, 2014, 02:29 PM   #2
Jeff2131

Funny, i use a tumbler and walnut shell from harbor freight. Just went back and bought a new 25lb box of fine walnut last week. You can order it online...its still very cheap and most likely cheaper then ordering media from the reloading websites. I think i paid $25/25lbs. It lasts me over a year and i tumble atleast once a week.
Old January 14, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
dmanisgnarly

Ask the store associates to order it for you. Just because it's not on the shelves doesn't mean they cant get it. had to do this for some sandblasting media a few years back. I really like the walnut myself, +1.
Old January 14, 2014, 02:55 PM   #4
markr

What do you guys think about using something like silica sand? Too abrasive?

Washed up 11B1P
Old January 14, 2014, 02:59 PM   #5
snuffy

I use only ground corn cob myself, my brass is not so dirty that I need the better cleaning action of walnut. I got a 40# bag from Grainger, the 20/40 grit. No more clogged flash holes when tumbling de-capped brass! The finer grit brings a higher shine quicker because of the finer grit;

http://www.grainger.com/product/ECON...All&s_pp=false

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 14, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6
leefan

Zilla reptile bedding (crushed English walnut) at the pet store. Adds a little crunch to salads, too.
Old January 14, 2014, 03:10 PM   #7
snuffy

Quote:
What do you guys think about using something like silica sand? too abrasive?
Yes YES YES!!! Quit trying to save a few cents on tumbler media. The problem is; you cannot be completely certain that you got every last grain of sand out of the brass. If not, it can get into your barrel. We strive to keep abrasives OUT of our barrels. Imagine a grain of sand imbedded in a bullet, being pushed down a steel barrel. (Hint; sand is nearly as hard as diamonds, it'll cut deep scratches in the barrel).

That 40# bag of media was bought 2 years ago, I still have half left, only because I gave ¼ of it away. I'll do ten batches of brass, then take a look at the media, probably do another ten before replacing it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 14, 2014, 04:22 PM   #8
TylerOutdoorsman

I have been using the Lyman brand turbo tufnut media for the last couple of years. It's ground walnut shells that have been impregnated with a red rouge. It cleans and polishes very well without having to add any liquid polish. The only downside is when you pull your brass out it helps keep your dies clean if you wipe them with a towel. I just throw a handful on a towel and roll them around in it a bit. Excellent stuff. Still using the same batch of it I bought a couple of years ago. Really keeps the dust down too.
Old January 14, 2014, 07:18 PM   #9
tobnpr

Ten pounds of corn cob for fifteen bucks- including shipping...

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...productId/5373

The cob is darn near free...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 14, 2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Toolman

I use ground corn cob with a dash of Flitz polish. Has worked well for me the last ten years. Haven't needed walnut hulls or other stuff.
Old January 14, 2014, 08:08 PM   #11
oldmanFCSA

www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com

5 pounds of SS Pins, Dawn soap, LemiShine, Water,. in a 20 pound tumbling barrel. WITH primers removed.

CLEAN, VERY CLEAN, inside and out, including primer pockets spotless.

I am not associated with company listed, but do use their products.
Old January 14, 2014, 11:34 PM   #12
snuffy

Quote:
www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com
5 pounds of SS Pins, Dawn soap, LemiShine, Water,. in a 20 pound tumbling barrel. WITH primers removed.

I am not associated with company listed, but do use their products.
Yeah,,,---BUT I want to see you start some cases tumbling, then go eat breakfast, take them out after breakfast,(lets say an hour), and load immediately.

Waddaya mean you can't! Got to let them dry--!? How long!??¿¿ Anytime you get brass wet, you HAVE to make certain they're dry before loading. Don't tell me about "putting them out in the sun to dry". Today, that would have resulted in 6" of snow on them.

Old January 15, 2014, 10:21 AM   #13
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
Yeah,,,---BUT I want to see you start some cases tumbling, then go eat breakfast, take them out after breakfast,(lets say an hour), and load immediately.

Waddaya mean you can't! Got to let them dry--!? How long!??¿¿ Anytime you get brass wet, you HAVE to make certain they're dry before loading. Don't tell me about "putting them out in the sun to dry". Today, that would have resulted in 6" of snow on them.
I use both methods but all the wet method needs is rolled around in a towel and a ride in the oven at 170 for a short time.

Last edited by Beentown71; January 15, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old January 15, 2014, 03:25 PM   #14
leefan

Oldman, thanks for that link. I noticed that their brass dryer is just a vegetable dehydrator, which I have had since hippie days and no longer use. It is now going to earn its keep!
Old January 15, 2014, 05:56 PM   #15
Airman Basic

Make sure you get the fine grade of walnut from Harbor Freight. Solved my problem with media in the flash hole, too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-92155.html
Old January 16, 2014, 07:26 AM   #16
roc1

I use the fine had last box from harbor freight 5 years. I use it weekly I tried to get local store to get it said they can't so I guess I will order it online .
Thanks for help gentlemen
Roc1
Old January 16, 2014, 07:30 AM   #17
Billy Shears

Quote:

This. It's absolutely worth the added up front expense. You'll never have to buy media again and your brass comes out perfect, inside and out.
Old January 16, 2014, 07:39 PM   #18
tobnpr

Never ceases to amaze me how much discussion there is over "clean" brass...
As long as grit is removed so it doesn't scratch your dies....at least, I've always thought that was the only objective.

The target or critter at the receiving end would never know if you could shave in the reflection.

And "spotless" primer pockets are a myth.

I've seen RSI pressure trace test results of "clean" vs "dirty" primer pockets and the cases with "dirty" primer pockets had more consistent pressure curves and powder burn.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old January 16, 2014, 11:12 PM   #19
Billy Shears

Quote:
Never ceases to amaze me how much discussion there is over "clean" brass...

Shoot many black powder cartridge loads?

Makes brass absolutely filthy. Trying to tumble that in the usual manner can ruin a load of corn cob media in no time flat.

Nothing better for a bucketful of 45-70 and 45 Colt brass covered in BP soot than stainless steel media and a Thumler's Tumbler to clean it up fast and cheap.