The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 11, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
jtmo3

Putting a safe on tile

OK, I am going to be purchasing a safe. Probably a Liberty Colonial. The question/problem I have is where I have to put it. My house isn't that large and my places for a 25 gun safe are limited too. The only place I can put it is in a room with ceramic tile on the floor. I don't want a safe that I can't bolt down because if two guys can get it in with a dolly, two can get it out if they really want. So, has anyone put a safe in a room with ceramic tile and drilled it to bolt down, with success? The only other place I could possibly put it is in my garage and I really don't want it there. Thanks for any tips.

John
Old February 11, 2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Rembrandt

Drill holes through the back and lag screw it to the wall studs. Easier to repair a couple holes in sheet rock than holes through ceramic tile.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
THEZACHARIAS

I havent specifically mounted a gun safe, but I have mounted other household things to tile. What matters most in this case is whats behind the tile. As long as its concrete you're golden, just make sure you use a ceramic drill bit so you dont mess up the tile in case you move the thing.

If not, I would definately pursue the wall mount option since trying to find a wood beam through tile is pretty dicey.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
jtmo3

Ya, it's tile on top of concrete. I have spare tiles so if I move or move the safe, I could replace any broken. How would you go about drilling the back of a Liberty Colonial fire resistant safe? Wouldn't that destroy the benefit of the safe?

Thanks.

John
Old February 11, 2009, 08:39 PM   #5
Michael A. Le Lack

Anchor

I would contact the safe manufacturer for advice. Drilling holes may or may not void the fire rating warranty. Som safes can be ordered with predrilled holes. You can buy anchors at Lowe's to mount to tile floor or wall. The floor would be MY choice since it will not finish on guns, incase of a fire the bottom would be the lowest temperature. But advice from Libery would be best. PS there is usually one smale hole in the back of the safe to wire the dehumidifier.
Old February 11, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6
a1abdj

Most gun safes are not as fireproof as the manufacturer would lead you to believe. With that said, I still wouldn't drill holes in it.

You will need a hammer drill to anchor the safe. Go through the tile out of hammer mode, and only use the hammer mode once you're into the concrete.

Shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes start to finish.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
James R. Burke

I wouldnt be to found of drilling thru the safe either. If it is really heavy I doubt two guys would break in having a dolly, and truck ready to move it and load it. Most the time they are in a real hurry. I post smile your on camera with mine. But all said you should do what gives you the most sense of security, and if it is bolting it down do it. They gave you some good ideas on how to do it if you decide to drill thru it. Just my thoughts only. Thinking about what I said I guess if someone that new you, and the lay out of your house, and when you would be gone, could set up to do it.

Last edited by James R. Burke; February 25, 2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: More reasons