The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
billythekid007

Barrel question

I am wanting a new shotgun for hunting yotes.. I am getting a 3.5 mag auto. I can decide on barrel length..

Is there going to be a big difference between 24" and 28" or 26 for that matter.

are you REALLY gaining alot with the extra inches like 4". from 24-28??? or will choke tubes do the same thing??
Old October 29, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As a dumb ol country redneck feller... I doubt it matters as for energy, velocity and such from an 18-32 inch barrel. I use a front bead and can hit my target equally well with the 18 inch or 28 inch guns I own. I like the shorter barrels for mobility and comfort both walking and pointing. In your case for yotes a shorter barrel is less moving object for them to key on and spook.
But I am no pro so if you don't like my free opinion I will give you double your money back...
Brent
Old October 29, 2008, 09:02 PM   #3
USA123456789

I personally would go with the 28 in. You can use it for so many more things then just hunting. I prefer the longer barrel bc tou will not swing in front of the bird or birds that you are shooting at (like in trapshooting)
Old October 29, 2008, 09:45 PM   #4
oneounceload

shotgun shells generally max their velocity within the first 18" or so.
chokes have ZERO to do with velocity, but everything to do with a pattern for pellets

I guess my question is why are you shooting coyotes with a shotgun instead of a small caliber varmint rifle? One little hole makes the pelts waaaaay more valuable
Old October 30, 2008, 02:47 PM   #5
T.A.Sharps

Sorry I can't quote it, but i remember reading something about barrel extensions for shotguns, how they are pretty much just a waste of money since the acceleration inside the barrel drops off at a certain point to where any extra length doesn't do anything for the range accept for the range that is the extra length of the barrel.

So after the point where acceleration in the bore is maxed out you're only increasing your range by inches.

I don't know the ideal barrel length, I would choose which ever wielded the best in my hands.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:59 PM   #6
SumToy Custom Barrel

Billy We do alot of target guns. That is all we build as of now. The thing with the long barrels is they will slow down the shot. If you have the correct choke in a short barrel it will do the same as a long one. We take stock barrels off a rem are Win and put a choke in it and beat the 36 inch full outlaw guns. The short barrel will ring your ears more then a long.