The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old April 21, 2000, 12:34 AM   #1
rlgarman

I have made TFL my home page. I just love the Forums! I might suggest that as a requirement for membership, people be a member of the NRA, or Gun Owners of America, or their state rifle oranization, or any shooters organization. I am sure most do, but we shooters/gun owners are being pushed into smaller and smaller corners and need everyone to organize in some fashion to help stop the erosion of our right to safely and legally enjoy this freedom. I think that the NRA says there are 30 million gun owners, but less than 4 or 5M belong to any gun organization. We need to get everyone to belong to some kind of gun rights group or we will wake up someday in a new world and wonder what happened!!
Old April 21, 2000, 01:54 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

No Way.
Belonging to a group of some sort is politics of a personal nature.
I will not tell someone how they are to live, who they should talk to or what ever...
Members are incouraged to join a group or to be active in some way - but its their choice.
We aint going to REQUIRE anything of the sort.
Old April 21, 2000, 07:51 AM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

rigarman-
We certainly hope that, as a matter of personal responsibility, *every* Member of TFL contribute funds and/or time to at least one of these organizations. But personal responsibility is a life choice, and can not be mandated. Let each conscience decide.
Rich Lucibella
Old April 21, 2000, 11:46 PM   #4
Bud Helms

Our local gun club, of which I am on the Executive Committee, has tried to figure out a way to require affiliation (read: membership) in a national pro-RKBA organization as a prerequisite to membership. I think it is more trouble than it is worth. We do, as a committee, review the membership applications and vote on them. It is mostly a criteria of, "Is there any reason why this person's application can't or shouldn't be brought before the membership for a vote?"

Well, frankly, non-membership in the NRA or GOA is not a good reason. There is the small problem of bylaws and charter (mission statement) in our case, but more importantly, it just needs to be an individual choice. Peer pressure is a strong motivator, and in our meetings, silence, as a response to, "I'm not a member of the NRA or any of those groups", says more than any spoken retort. There's usually a proloonnnnnged silence.

Rlgarman, I'm with you in spirit, but if it won't work in a gun club, well ... imagine the NRA online bulletin board, called The Firing Line. Yecch!

Anti-gun lurkers here can't call this an organ or appendage of the NRA and there is an advantage there. Think about it. They don't understand that the NRA isn't "the gun lobby". Thay can't conceive of 60 million of us agreeing in principle on the wording of the 2nd and five million (?) of us paying dues to the same organization to represent our beliefs. They believe their polls. The Firing Line is different. It is an anomaly to the antis. It doesn't fit their profile. We don't fit their profile. They can't make it work for them. I love it.

I have this growing suspicion that the effect TFL is having on the issue of RKBA, on and off the internet, will not be realized for some time to come. But it will eventually. And when it does, it won't fit into one of their predefined categories of "gun lobby organizations".

And by the way Rich, thanks to you and the Crew, once again, for letting me be part of what you have here. You got it right. Keep it.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 22, 2000).]