The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 25, 2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Jaxen

Revolver nipples

I come across references to changing the nipples on percussion clones (Uberti's, Pietta's) to increase performance, but never to exactly what make. Many say they prefer aftermarket to factory, but who makes them, who sells them, etc.?
Old March 25, 2005, 04:12 PM   #2
dasmi

Revolver nipples...is that some sort of syndrome you get from shooting too much?
Old March 25, 2005, 04:18 PM   #3
novus collectus

I picked up some at Bass Pro and Wal Mart a few years back for future use. Haven't used them yet so I can't tell you if they fit. I think they are pretty universal for the pistols but not sure.They sold them for both pistols and muskets. If I remember correctly Bass Pro had some more expensive ones that claimed better performance. They also had stainless steel nipples.
Old March 27, 2005, 02:59 AM   #4
arcticap

Nipples by the bagfull

You can always try:

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.c...ts_nipples.htm

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/

http://www.possibleshop.com/nipples.htm

Continue by searching "revolver nipples" or "muzzle loading nipples" etc...
Old March 27, 2005, 12:27 PM   #5
novus collectus

Thanks. If I hadn't converted my pistol to cartidge already that would have been real helpful. I used to dry fire on naked nipples all the time before I realized how stupid that was. I had to start filing them down just to get a cap on. I don't even need my spare nipples I have now but it is good to know where they are for my friends who still use them.
Old March 27, 2005, 01:15 PM   #6
Ozzieman

I have been shooting C and P's for a long time and

Yes there are some companies that made Supershot (I think that was the name) but were mostley for rifles. They had a small hold close to the bottom of where the cap would fit in the nipple that supposedly allowed air inside and made the flame hotter, Personaly I think it was a load of crap.
As far as pistole nipples as long as you dont dry fire the gun they should last for ever. The biggest thing you can do to promote hotter fire is fresh caps kept dry (put dessecant cristal bags in the tin) and get a good nipple brush and clean them after every firing sesson.
I have one gun that has fired over 2000 rounds through it. enough that there is a good sized cut in the cylinder bar (not dangerious) and there the same nipples that came on the gun in 1972.
So if you trying to improve the firing of a cap and ball pistol Good luck, but I dont expect you to have much.
Old May 1, 2005, 11:03 PM   #7
Gomezy3k

I have 13 Cylinders for my 3 Remington .44 '58 Revolvers. When I checked them for cap size I discovered that there were nipples that took #10 caps, #11 Caps, and some that didn't take either (10's too small, 11's to big)...and this was on the same cylinder...

I have been slowly replacing them 6 at a time but it takes a while... So that is the reason to go with aftermarket nipples... Having them all the same size...
Old May 2, 2005, 06:42 PM   #8
RobW

I didn't try it out yet, but I read some posts on www.muzzleloading.com that "TRESO" nipples should be the best. They are sold by thunder ridge (I think) for $3.00 a piece. As I have some problems with my Uberti factory nipples (caps #11 too large, caps #10 too small, RWS caps #1075 too expensive and still too large) I'll try out the Treso brand.