The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 8, 2002, 04:51 PM   #1
Jackyl

Rem. 870 & ammo...

I can shoot anything in a 12 ga. 2 3/4" - 3" right? I just wonder because I picked up some Rem. 1 oz. rifled slugs, and wondered if they were meant to be shot out of my shotgun. Thanks.

-AR
Old April 8, 2002, 05:18 PM   #2
9mmMike

To shoot 3" shells from your 870, you must have a receiver AND a barrel that are both made for the longer shell.
The barrel will say 2 3/4 and 3" right on it. If it only says 2 3/4, NO 3"ers.
The receiver may say magnum or may not. I think that all magnum receivers have serial numbers that end in M but I am not 100% on that.
An 870 guru can probably tell by looking inside but I can not.
The rifled slugs that you got are for shooting from a smooth bore barrel.
Are they 3"ers? You are quite the stud to shoot three inch slugs. Talk about some recoil! You would also be best served by as little choke as possible for the slugs.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old April 8, 2002, 05:21 PM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Sounds like Mike has it pegged. If your barrel has the 3' designation, anything lesser is OK.

Giz
Old April 8, 2002, 05:34 PM   #4
Jackyl

Thanks guys!!!

It says 2 3/4" - 3" and it's an Express Magnum. What does that mean? I believe it is a smooth bore. That must be why the slugs are rifled huh? I've shot 4 through it and I was surprised....not too bad. Shot from the hip though...don't have the balls to raise it up to my shoulder.

-AR
Old April 8, 2002, 06:13 PM   #5
S.F.S

Remington as two style 870's the Express and the Wingmaster, the Express has a hard wood or synthetic stock, with a matte black finish. The Wingmaster has the walnut stock with a hi-polish biue finish and the actions a little bit smoother.
You will know if you have a smooth bore or a fully rifled bore by looking down the barrel (Unloaded Of Coarse).
Magnum means it will accept 3" shells.
If you have a rifled barrel you are best to use sabot slugs and rifled slugs out of a smooth bore unless you have a rifled choke tube then you can use sabots.
Mike is correct about the ser.# info.
If it ends with an "M" the receiver is 3" compatible, If the gun is bought used ALWAYS make sure the barrel is 3" compatlble before firing.

Scott
Old April 8, 2002, 07:52 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

No, you can't shoot everything. You CAN shoot 3" or shorter shells. Inserting a shell longer than the chamber calls for is not quite suicide, but certainly qualifies one for the Darwin Award semifinals.

Being an 870 it'll probably hold together, but not repeatedly.

As for slugs, the only things a 3" slug will do that a 2 3/4" one will not is go through your money and build a flinch faster.

There's few hardnfast rules on slug selection. Here's a few loose guidelines....

Smoothbores and full diameter slugs like the older Forster types and various Brennekes go together nicely. There'll be one that's best in a given shotgun. Buy 5 packs and bench test them until you find the tightest grouper. Then buy lots of that.

Fully rifled bbls and the sabots usually work together best.Again, you have to find the right combo.

All 12 gauge slugs are very effective on deer sized game, even big Michigan whitetails or our Eastern Shore cornfeds here in Md. For bigger game or stuff that bites back like hogs, the Brennekes seem to be best.

Open chokes are USUALLY best for slugs, but which choke is best is up in the air.

Lots of stuff in the Archives...