The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2016, 08:43 AM   #1
alauf

SCCY vs Millenium G2

Looking around for an affordable semi. A gun for someone that doesn't do a lot of shooting, but would like to get a gun and feel comfortable practicing with it and feel comfortable using it for self-defense if need be. I am looking at the SCCY CPX-1 and the Taurus Millenium G2 in 9mm. Any thoughts/concerns are appreciated.
Old July 23, 2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Siggy-06

I've read a bunch of things on both pistols, mostly favorable. Taurus has been selling a lot of those G2's at good prices.

Take a look at the Bersa Thunder 380 series too. Great little guns.
Old July 23, 2016, 10:27 AM   #3
Onward Allusion

I'd vote for the Taurus Millenium G2. Longer track record. Higher capacity AND you can use Sig 226 & 229 magazines in the Taurus. Yup - up to 20 rounds in it for a rainy day -
Old July 23, 2016, 10:31 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
AND you can use Sig 226 & 229 magazines in the Taurus.
Really? First I've heard that.

Quote:
I am looking at the SCCY CPX-1 and the Taurus Millenium G2 in 9mm.
Any reason not to look at the Kel Tec original?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 23, 2016, 01:06 PM   #5
alauf

Also open to any other suggestions at that price range in a .380 or 9mm. Looking for first time firearm owner who wants something to protect herself with and practice shooting with.
Old July 23, 2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

Yeah, surprised me, too. Who would have thunk that a Sig mag would fit in a Taurus.

Also, I have heard/read that the 226 mag will fit in a Taurus P92. This I have not confirmed, however.
Old July 23, 2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Ragmansrams

709 slim

for better concealment
Old July 23, 2016, 02:42 PM   #8
MoMan

+1 for the Bersa Thunder 380. I have both the 380, and 22lr and love both.

Member: NRA/Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club
Old July 23, 2016, 02:49 PM   #9
Knightsofnee

I would look at what Ruger has to offer.
Old July 23, 2016, 05:09 PM   #10
DanPop

I bought a Taurus PT111 in February, I have well over 2,000 rounds through it without a hiccup of any kind. If you're looking to carry it's slightly heavy but other than that it's a blue collar, down and dirty, great gun. If you are looking to carry I'd go with a Ruger Lcp or a Bersa Thunder in .380.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old July 23, 2016, 07:13 PM   #11
franco45

I have owned both the Sccy and the Taurus. The Sccy is long gone and I still own the Taurus. It has been 100% reliable and more accurate than it has the right to be.
Old July 23, 2016, 07:57 PM   #12
MarkGlazer

I carry the G2 and it performs without issue. I have one minor gripe with regards to my carry load, 147 grain XTP bullet;, the first round chambered sometimes gets caught on the feed ramp. Once that first round successfully chambers, you're good to go. I only experience this with an XTP bullet, practice rounds are lead cast round nose and never hang up. It could be my technique though as I rack the initial round slowly and carefully and then set the safety.

I would suggest that before you reach a conclusion, put your hands on anything you are thinking about and determine if the size and weight works for you. If you can gain range time, even better.

Good luck and happy shopping. Be safe.
Old July 23, 2016, 08:47 PM   #13
Will Beararms

Get the S&W SDVE 9. It's the best value for the money in America today. It has a capacity of 16 in the mag and one in the chamber for a total of 17 rounds. It's easy to field strip for cleaning. It has great parts availability and a life time warranty. The trigger had been vastly improved and the Ergos are good. They are also concealble under a t shirt or polo. Hickock45 on you tube has a good review on it. They run between $289.00 and $316.00.
Old July 24, 2016, 10:44 AM   #14
Ibmikey

Seems like everyone has an answer to a question not asked, I have an SCCY that was a truck gun until my neighbor." shot it and i cannot get it back he likes it so much. As a truck gun it always went to the shooting pit with me and invariably my buddies would shoot a lot of ammo through it and i cannot remember a failure of any kind.
Another friend bought a PSA $200 special Taurus and it is back at the factory to correct issues ( not sure what).
You must make the decision not us so shoot them both and buy the one you want.
Old July 24, 2016, 11:40 AM   #15
lee n. field

Quote:
Looking around for an affordable semi.
What is the budget for this?

Quote:
A gun for someone that doesn't do a lot of shooting, but would like to get a gun and feel comfortable practicing with it and feel comfortable using it for self-defense if need be. I am looking at the SCCY CPX-1 and the Taurus Millenium G2 in 9mm. Any thoughts/concerns are appreciated.
Any reason it has to be a semi-auto, and not a revolver? There are some low end revolvers that the current "internet gun social media buzz" is favorable about. Assuming they pass Jim March's revolver inspection procedure, of course.

Exact recommendations depend on the exact budget.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 24, 2016, 12:09 PM   #16
K_Mac

Quote:
I would look at what Ruger has to offer.
Same here. Yes, I do understand that is not exactly an answer to the original question.

Quote:
It could be my technique though as I rack the initial round slowly and carefully and then set the safety.
I would say that you are correct. Your pistol is not designed to chamber a round this way.
Old July 24, 2016, 12:11 PM   #17
armedleo

Franco45, why is the SCCY long gone?
Old July 24, 2016, 12:54 PM   #18
Joe_Pike

Quote:
It could be my technique though as I rack the initial round slowly and carefully and then set the safety.
I like the way Clint Smith talks about racking slides. He says attack the slide. No need to be gentle with it as that's just asking for trouble.
Old July 24, 2016, 02:17 PM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
I like the way Clint Smith talks about racking slides. He says attack the slide. No need to be gentle with it as that's just asking for trouble.
Yep. Pull back and let fly. It's how they're designed to work.
Old July 24, 2016, 08:06 PM   #20
Bluestarlizzard

MarkGlazer,

You are going to end up with a live round really jammed up in your pistol if you keep doing that.
Pull back and let it go. Riding a slide on chambering a round is recipe for issues.
Old July 25, 2016, 10:22 AM   #21
franco45

Quote:
Franco45, why is the SCCY long gone?
I never had a problem with any of the 3 Sccy's that I owned. I didn't like the way the grip fit in my and or the long hard trigger. I trade a lot and always found something else that I wanted. The Sccy's come in at a price point that make them good trade bait and easy to replace. The G2 on the other hand is a great little gun for even less money. Although I must admit that I did trade my first G2 for something else.
Old July 25, 2016, 10:37 AM   #22
franco45

Quote:
Seems like everyone has an answer to a question not asked,
Seems to me everyone is right on track with their replies.

Quote:
would like to get a gun and feel comfortable practicing with it and feel comfortable using it for self-defense if need be. I am looking at the SCCY CPX-1 and the Taurus Millenium G2 in 9mm. Any thoughts/concerns are appreciated.
I don't see any replies that don't address this.
Old July 26, 2016, 07:20 PM   #23
michael t

Of those 2 I would also go with the G2

Given a different choice I would go with my KelTec PF-9 I really like this little 9mm.
Old July 26, 2016, 11:05 PM   #24
BigMikey76

I have been nothing but satisfied with my Millennium G2. I have had it for about a year and a half, and I have put anywhere between 25 and 100 rounds through it in each of my weekly shooting sessions, depending on finances and time available. I know it's upwards of 2000 rounds, and I have had just one FTE, which was out of a box of ammo that produced malfunctions in 2 other otherwise malfunctionless pistols, so I pretty much blame the cheap ammo on that one. I carry it with me daily, and I have no problem trusting it with my life.
I can't really say anything about the Sccy,since I have never even held one.
Old July 26, 2016, 11:31 PM   #25
foolzrushn

I'm not sure why you are looking at a SCCY CPX1 instead of the CPX2. True the CPX1 has a safety, but with the long and strong trigger pull, a safety is hardly needed.

Since it's for her, she needs to shoot whichever one, and really several possibilities before you buy. That way the fit in the hand, trigger pull and recoil are what she can live with.

The fact that 9mm are cheaper won't mean much if she dislikes shooting and practicing with it. And that's important as you know, so that if she ever needs to use it.....

There is lots of pro and con on the SCCY website.

certified 'soap welder'