The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
Wrothgar

Alex Jones (Piers Morgan petition author) on Morgan's show

I hope this can stay up, as it is firearms related in that Morgan has been in the front line of the gun control debate.

Alex Jones, the author of the WhiteHouse.org petition to deport Piers Morgan, went on his show tonight and went absolutely bonkers. While I disagree with Morgan on pretty much everything, Jones didn't do us any favors tonight. I'll agree that someone needed to stand up to Morgan and quit letting him constantly talk over and interrupt guests, but my goodness.

Last edited by Wrothgar; January 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
breakingcontact

Good post. I should start a thread...nevermind.

Glad to see the passion. He should have stuck to the 2nd amendment but glad he brought up tyrants mass murdering their chosen victims after disarming them.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

It was an absolute disaster.

I don't like Jones. Never have. He's a rabble rouser and panic monger of the worst order, but up until now, I've been able to groan and ignore him.

That changed tonight. He had the audacity to presume to represent us, and he made us look like fools. This wasn't an interview or a debate. It was a chance for him to score points off Morgan.

I have to admit, I'd be tempted to do the same if I had a chance to confront Morgan, but at this juncture it backfired. Those who see us as a bunch of shrill, incoherent idealogues will now have a prime example of that stereotype.

He was rude, and when Morgan managed to ask him one question...one, he dodged it. The man needs to go back to his inane radio show and juvenile conspiracy theories and not take the mantle of being our mouthpiece any more.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
TheBigO

Wow---At times I wonder whose team these guys are on. At a time where the millions of gun owners need to have a calm, well spoken, thought out face you have this guy sounding like the guy every anti-gun person has in their head. Talk about taking a huge step backwards-

Last edited by Bud Helms; January 8, 2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: ugly name calling
Old January 7, 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
breakingcontact

Well said.

I think the rabble rousers serve a purpose. Sometimes the masses need to be agitated, but to what end?

Supposedly he really believes what he says and isn't just playing the part. This is probably the most media attention he's received lately being a guest on such a major show during a time of great debate. He also got into it with the TSA recently at the Austin airport.

I don't know the guy or know what to make of him at times. I think many of us are as passionate but express it in a more controlled and perhaps effective manner. But I think the fringes like Mr Jones have purpose, however he probably will draw more website hits and listeners now. Serves his purpose but understand how in this context he may have damaged our cause.

I like that people like him will explore some of the things I don't believe in but prompt good thought and discussion, he's like the anti-NPR. Its different though when he's espousing his varied beliefs on his own show where people seek it out instead of being the screaming gun guy on that nice British mans show.

Was this a live show or edited/cut down?
Old January 7, 2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Darren007

Quote:
It was an absolute disaster.

I don't like Jones. Never have. He's a rabble rouser and panic monger of the worst order, but up until now, I've been able to groan and ignore him.
I couldn't agree more. The first 5-10 secs when he started talking I was thinking "Ok, so far so good" and then when he lost it and started going hysterical and screaming about Santa Anna or whatever, all I could do is facepalm.

I should have known better though. I've watched his YouTube videos before where just loses it and goes completely mad. The biggest problem with Alex Jones is that he thinks every single thing that happens in this word is a conspiracy. And while I applaud his stance on the 2nd amendment, he's probably not the best person to represent our views in the public spotlight.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
Xfire68

WOW! what a nutty nut! I hate PM I really do but I think that is the nicest I have seen him treat a guess. He must have upped his meds???
Old January 8, 2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Was this a live show or edited/cut down?
It was live (probably on a delay for obvious reasons).

This will be fodder for countless soundbites in the coming days. Most appalling was Jones' utter derailment into 9/11 conspiracy and metal sharks. We are all going to be painted with that brush in some quarters.
Old January 8, 2013, 12:32 AM   #9
damo450

WOW! came to start a thread and see it's already going

Alex Jones could have just lost the good fight for the sane, calm, responsible, and credible gun owners. That was the biggest train wreck I have ever seen in my life. I am just absolutely dumbfounded.

This has got to be the best example of someone with huge viewer numbers who couldn't wait to get the biggest nut job in U.S. history on the air to make all his viewers think that he represents the U.S. gun owner.

I am watching this on my DVR as I type and just want to crawl under a rock and die. We will never recover.

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 8, 2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Removed slight intemperance
Old January 8, 2013, 12:57 AM   #10
BillCA

I have three responses if someone asks about that show.

Alex who?

Piers who?

Oh, you mean "Tin Foil" Alex, a.k.a. Mr. Conspiracy theory? Was he off his meds again?

If someone tries to make a point using Jones as an example of "our" mentality, tell them that he represents us as well as private detectives are represented in True Hollywood Detective Stories.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:10 AM   #11
aircorpnut

if this jones fellow had been known as intelligent, polite & well spoken, do you think he would have been invited to be on the show? they knew what they were doing when they invited him on.

we need to take a few tactics from the left & figure out how to use people like this to our advantage. while they are sounding off at the top of their lungs & drawing all the attention, use that as a distraction while sliding something in under the radar. seems to work for the other side...
Old January 8, 2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Pfletch83

Alex gave Morgan a taste of his own medicine,those that tried to be kind and respectful were shouted down,talked over,and insulted (Larry Pratt for example).

The Anti's already have us painted as nutjobs,so in my view Alex didn't do us any harm.

If anything Mr. Jones should be seen for what he is,a fellow gun owner and patriot,at least he had the guts to go into the liars den and take the verbal fight to the system like they have been doing to us.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:41 AM   #13
FrankenMauser

Although he did 'give Piers a taste of his own medicine', he was also a confrontational jerk, that was only representing himself. (I'm not citing you directly Pfletch.)

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 8, 2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Language modification
Old January 8, 2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Rob Pincus

Alex Jones is an embarrassment to the RKBA movement and all gunowners.

Touche', Mr. Morgan! Pick a Whack who will take the bait on 9/11 conspiracy theories to make all gun owners look like clueless extremists.

THat's why I will never get on a show like that....
Old January 8, 2013, 02:57 AM   #15
Freakdaddy

Quote:
if this jones fellow had been known as intelligent, polite & well spoken, do you think he would have been invited to be on the show? they knew what they were doing when they invited him on.
^^^This! It worked out exactly like CNN wanted it to work out and I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't get a raise.
Old January 8, 2013, 03:32 AM   #16
PATH

How many people are watching CNN?? Moreover who is watching Piers Morgan? I daresay the numbers are quite less than you think.

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old January 8, 2013, 05:00 AM   #17
Ruthless4christ

No serious damage done here, this is no worse than anything piers ahs done to any of the pro gun lobbyists, and will have as little long term fallout. This is the only way a conversation can go with piers Morgan, and if you followed the succession of questions Piers was asking you can tell it was not actually an attempt at a debate anyway. I certainly don’t think it was in good form for Alex to start copping a brit accent, but lets be honest, Piers makes a mockery of his own show anyway so no great loss.

At least Larry was able to score a few good hits including calling out why Piers lost his job in Britain, as well as finally being the one to call out that the second amendment has nothing to do with hunting.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:02 AM   #18
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
If anything Mr. Jones should be seen for what he is,a fellow gun owner and patriot,at least he had the guts to go into the liars den and take the verbal fight to the system like they have been doing to us.
Too true. Also keep in mind. If a total gun ban does ever take effect, patriots watching this interview in retrospect will be far less judging of Jones than many gun owners were of him tonight. It’s all about perspective.

Last edited by Ruthless4christ; January 8, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old January 8, 2013, 05:35 AM   #19
Pond, James Pond

Good grief.... Had never heard of him before today. Well... first impressions and all that... What a head-case.

He had a golden opportunity to put forward pro-gun views and he blew it in spectacular form.

The only people nodding in agreement and punching the air will have been those who already share his views: precisely the ones he and others who are concerned about gun rights shouldn't be focusing on.

Meanwhile, all those who are in two minds will not likely have been drawn to his cause... rather were sent running the other way...

On top of that he opts for the nationalist approach. When you start using your opponent's nationality as a debating point, rather than weaknesses in his or her arguement, it is time to shut up....
Old January 8, 2013, 06:28 AM   #20
overthere

Oh boy. This is too painful. Alex Jones is coming across like a first class loon. He made a bigger fool of himself than Piers Morgan could have ever aspired to
Old January 8, 2013, 06:49 AM   #21
Rembrandt

Oh my, some people are better suited for radio.....Alex Jones is not ready for TV. What an idiot.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:24 AM   #22
thallub

Alex Jones is a certified blithering idiot. Guys like Jones hurt our cause.
Old January 8, 2013, 07:26 AM   #23
zincwarrior

Wait someone wasted their valuable time watching Piers Morgan? I'm so sorry. Thats a part of your life you'll never get back...
Old January 8, 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
Carry_24/7

Jones should have stayed on subject, the 9/11 conspiracy theory spewing should have been kept to himself. I agree that Morgan deserved to be yelled and cussed at....but by someone that could go on the show with a sound strategy that will help our cause. Jones ain't him.

Do we have a single publicly known, academically inclined, mouth-disciplined, non-nut-case advocate that could speak on our behalf?

Zinc; a part of fighting battles is knowing your enemy....
Old January 8, 2013, 09:35 AM   #25
nate45

Come on now, who wouldn't like to go a five minute caged UFC round with Piers?

I'm too lazy to look them up, but there are several posts I've made recently about the true and actual danger of radical gun control schemes. For all of you who think Alex Jones is a loon, how many really hardcore loons do you imagine are out there?

I don't know how serious Alex Jones is and how much of his spiel is like pro wrestling, but I do know there are 100,000,000+ gun owners in the USA. If only 10,000 of them were as fired up and more importantly were actually serious, they could do a tremendous amount of damage.

No matter what actual reality is, the people calling for gun bans are largely the same people that Alex and others accuse of running international banking, the media, etc. That is a fact.

Now then, how many hardcore, true believer, ex-military, whatever, Timothy McViegh types are waiting in the wings for something to trigger their fight the New World Order visions? I know I don't know, but I do know that even a dozen could do tremendous damage.

Bottom line is, that this whole thing is a very dangerous game and both sides should tone it down a notch, before blood gets spilled.